Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 561

Author Topic: Fan art competition! *Moving sound*  (Read 1459158 times)

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
Re: Fan art competition!
« Reply #2550 on: December 05, 2009, 05:39:44 pm »

First I exported the heightmap (with oceanfloors) and general map in Legends.
The rest was done in Blender.
I created a plane and subdivided it to a desired resolution (maaaaaany vertices).
Then I applied the heightmap texture and pressed the "noise" button (one of the F9 Edit Buttons). This displaced the vertices according to the heightmap data.
Then I replaced the heightmap with the general map and also applied it to another plane which was placed at sea level.
The rest is some basic lighting (just one spotlight and ambient occlusion turned on).
<3

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: December 07, 2009, 08:18:02 pm »

I was really busy this weekend and didn't have a lot of time for drawing...
but I managed to get a new page of my comic up, and I'm working on colouring the sylvan pic.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: December 07, 2009, 09:30:31 pm »

Epic stuff, Fault.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: December 07, 2009, 09:50:36 pm »

holy crap, vester's back. all the people at your doodle forum had thought you died in a flood or something.

thanks for your comment; I am looking forward to your resumed contributions to the forums.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: December 07, 2009, 09:59:14 pm »

They thought that the last time I disappeared too, hehe.

You're welcome. It's good stuff.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: December 07, 2009, 10:15:46 pm »

really? did they think it was a flood that time too, or some other disaster?

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: December 07, 2009, 10:19:05 pm »

No, the first time there was an actual flood. I disappeared because of a combination of depression and volunteer work.

This time was slightly... worse.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: December 07, 2009, 10:21:42 pm »

Hey Vester, was wondering where you had dissapeared off to, yea. Welcome back :)

The first time was because of that hurricane (or typhoon as you call it in the pacific I think) in the Phillippines I believe.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: December 08, 2009, 10:50:59 pm »

i'm working on colouring a page of my webcomic. here's my progress.

it's supposed to be a quick introduction of the two main human characters, Josef the Merchant and William the Historian. Josef does not exactly know how to be politically correct around dwarves.

William is wise and pragmatic, a seeker of knowledge. He has recently inherited a strange book with a map showing the location of a legendary treasure.

Josef is naive and adventurous. he is also somewhat greedy/self-centered, though he has a good heart. He is technically william's Cousin, as their grandmothers were sisters.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 11:12:24 pm by Fault »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: December 09, 2009, 12:41:50 am »

Can I suggest Graven Halls as a similar, more creative title?

Or perhaps simply Effigies, if not already taken. It describes to stolid dwarven personality well.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: December 09, 2009, 12:46:51 am »

you might be on to something there with how the comic has gone so far.

The title I chose has more to do with what will occur when the story gets going. It will move away from dwarfdom and into the wider world beyond after a chapter or so.

do you think it'd be ethical to give it a dwarf-sounding name while the story is still centered around them, and change the name when the story advances away to other things?

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: December 09, 2009, 04:02:10 am »

I had to smile at "Urist, you're playing into a stereotype"  :)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

chronoplasm

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: December 09, 2009, 04:42:54 pm »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: December 09, 2009, 06:15:29 pm »

@Chronoplasm: Cool pic bro!

@Fault: Ethical? I don't see any ethical implications. Confusing though for your readers, perhaps. You might go for a transition format with different titles- have it be 'chapter' or 'book' or 'part' 2. As a general hint though, nobody remembers the title anyway, it's just a matter of who it might attract to the comic. Changing the title probably wouldn't mean much to anyone who's reading the whole thing.

...also, not to sound like the guy who says 'Move it a little to the left... no, no right... wait, left...' but "Welcome to Effigies" just looks/sounds weird. Maybe The Effigies? Although that certainly makes it sound like it's centered on dwarves. But like I said, don't fret too much. The title doesn't have to mean much later into the story.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: December 09, 2009, 06:39:26 pm »

you're apsolutely right, sensei. The story is what is most important.

but you do need a good title to attract people to the story. Either that or a nice banner (but I can't upload a good banner... there's kilobyte restrictions...)

but speaking of good titles, they don't really seem to matter on smackjeeves. all of the most popular comics there have terrible or misleading titles.

"Welcome to Effigies" just looks/sounds weird.

IF ONLY I COULD REMOVE THE "welcome to" PART  >:(
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 561