Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 561

Author Topic: Fan art competition! *Moving sound*  (Read 1459434 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Fan art competition!
« Reply #2265 on: November 21, 2009, 09:18:19 pm »

I'd think that green would fit elves more than goblins. Chloroplasts and all. But this kind of tint is really nice.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: November 22, 2009, 12:09:51 am »

With all the goblinoid discussion I figured I'd scribble something like what I picture goblins as in my head.

Got sick of coloring it and skimped a bit, I had intended to give it darker gray spots as well, but I have to press so hard on this rather insensitive tablet to get it to color worth anything my hand hurt too much to finish them.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: November 22, 2009, 12:11:40 am »

Kind of looks like a ?female? goblin.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: November 22, 2009, 11:41:19 am »

Yes. So hawt...
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: November 22, 2009, 11:53:24 am »

Nice Kroot head Tofu

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: November 22, 2009, 02:56:05 pm »

I'd like to use a tablet in conjunction with something like GIMP. It'd be a change from using a pencil and paper.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: November 22, 2009, 03:59:52 pm »

I always wanted to ask: Fault, your images have a great amount of detail and have a deep character

Oh thanks, man.

why do you use such "dirty" lines and dots here and there, it's kinda pixelated even?

You know you're right, Deon. There's only so much lack of quality that I can excuse as "style".

Here's why: The dirty and overly pixellated lines on most of my coloured work comes from my not very top of the line scanner, and the fact that for most of my artistic carreer I've been using MS PAINT instead of more high-end programs like flash or photoshop.

Gothmog

• Bay Watcher
  • Demands item in bedroom
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: November 22, 2009, 04:08:12 pm »

I'd like to use a tablet in conjunction with something like GIMP. It'd be a change from using a pencil and paper.
Absolutely. I suck at art and everything related to it, I got some of my worst grades in art class back when I still was in.. grammar school (if that tells you anything).
On paper it's like... I use my cluster of 10 sausagelike fingers to draw a line or something.. fail at it.. can't correct it, rage and abandon the "picture".
Now that I have a tablet (mostly for writing - I'm, in fact, doing some math practice right now) it's mostly like.. draw a line... looks bad.. UNDO... draw again.. looks bad.. UNDO.. draw again.. until it looks good. Setting one of my tablet's hotkeys to "undo" was the first thing I did, and I can't say I regret it  ;D

some kind of example or something:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I call it "Down by the Caveriver"

Oh and I love the artistic interpretations of df-goblins. I personally don't picture them as anything when I think about them (Yeah I'm weired like that) but some of them look damn convincing.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: November 22, 2009, 04:45:05 pm »

it's mostly like.. draw a line... looks bad.. UNDO... draw again.. looks bad.. UNDO.. draw again.. until it looks good.
I consider myself a decent artist, and this is the ultimate secret of the craft.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: November 22, 2009, 05:37:14 pm »

it's mostly like.. draw a line... looks bad.. UNDO... draw again.. looks bad.. UNDO.. draw again.. until it looks good.
I consider myself a decent artist, and this is the ultimate secret of the craft.
Actually the ultimate secret of the craft is to not do that.

Invariably, you'll usually create better looking works if you just run with the flow and fix up mistakes later. Start big, slowly work smaller and smaller until you're on details.

One of the common factors you'll see in professional artists using tablets is they often start with huge blocky lumps of colour and just keep drawing, erasing only when absolutely necessary.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: November 22, 2009, 05:44:27 pm »

that's true, Neruz. I generally start with the rough shape of the body and clothes in pencil, then go over that in pen using a more detailed approach. the colouring stage (on the computer) is where I alter the fine details.

I BARELY EVER ERASE
sometimes If something is drastically wrong I'll start over rather than erase.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: November 22, 2009, 05:47:33 pm »

Ya; usually the hardest part for a new artist to to leave that mistake alone and keep going with the piece. It seems counter intuitive to most people.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: November 22, 2009, 07:54:14 pm »

I'd rather like to as well.  Seeing as when I finally did try GIMPshop (when starting the goblin picture), it crashed immediately upon creating a new document every time.  So... that was kind of a catastrophic failure.

I also hardly ever erase/undo while drawing.  Because whenever I draw on paper, I use pen only, so I got used to just making mistakes into another scribble in a multitude of scribbles or starting over.  I only use erasing for when I decide to change the position of a limb so it's going overtop of lines I already drew before or something.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: November 22, 2009, 10:26:06 pm »

Yes. So hawt...

I dunno since there's no breasts, but whos to say that goblins don't biologically actually have mammary glands (breasts). The figure is feminine in general though. I'd think male goblins would be somewhat heavier muscled.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: November 22, 2009, 10:44:11 pm »

Yes. So hawt...

I dunno since there's no breasts, but whos to say that goblins don't biologically actually have mammary glands (breasts). The figure is feminine in general though. I'd think male goblins would be somewhat heavier muscled.

Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 561