Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 561

Author Topic: Fan art competition! *Moving sound*  (Read 1455510 times)

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fan art competition!
« Reply #1620 on: September 15, 2009, 06:14:12 am »

Pretty cool Bronze Colossus. Although I always imagined them as bieng more statue-like and less of a mecha.

Seriously though, it looks like ancient dwarves might have designed that thing.
The bronze colossus is most likely to have been designed by dwarves, the story goes like this:
The great ancient dwarvern race, the smartest creatures that were to ever exist. After a long period of hardship they have driven the HFS underground and sealed them in. they relax and have a major baby boom. The artisans finally have creative freedom, so they decide to build a giant complex megaproject to display their intellect -a giant invincible colossus. after it is finished the entire race gathers to celebrate with alcohol made from every plant known to dwarf, they are modest drinkers, but it is a special occasion. One dwarf, a cheap drunk, stumbles into the activation lever. The colossus activates prematurely and disconnects from the magma pump before fully filled. in the confusion a splash of magma spills before the floodgate closes, landing on the booze supply. The colossus' nascent mind likens the flaming chaos to the concept of 'the pit' as the dwarfs compiled a basic cognitive memory for the colossus before the accident. every older dwarf burns to death, the young are left squabbling in the ashes, brains -damaged by the blast, future -no longer guided with wisdom, their only early memories -alcohol soaked. noticing that he is not fully powered and therefore not invincible, the colossus attempts to pull the lever to finish the process, his giant hands only succeed in breaking it. This pushes his mind over the brink, reverting to a paranoid point of view that any technologically advanced civ must be crushed before it threatens him, so he eternally roams the land in search of enlightened races, destroying their constructions so he can forge his own invincibility...
He would come back centuries later to find the dwarves overall incompetence disturbing, their basic grasp of engineering derived from the few writings that weren't destroyed in the fire. He would rather the dwarvern race be extinguished than this foul bastardization.

*phew*
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 06:16:08 am by Chronas »
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: September 15, 2009, 06:19:33 am »

And Spreggo, that is SO AWESOME. I second the opinion of a SOF.

I would sign this too.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: September 15, 2009, 06:50:30 am »

Another quickie. Goblin Cavalry!

« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 06:59:22 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: September 15, 2009, 06:53:08 am »

That beak dog is bipedal.

Are beak dogs bipedal?

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: September 15, 2009, 06:56:49 am »

Yeah, Toady stated that they're large Velociraptors. They have a humanoid body.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: September 15, 2009, 07:12:02 am »

Cool beans.

Oh, look. Now there's blood.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: September 15, 2009, 07:29:01 am »

I may as well put this here too.

Don't you just hate having dwarves meander near your animal stockpiles?

"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: September 15, 2009, 07:33:27 am »

Oh god, Vester!!! Hahahahahhaha!
Thank you very much!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Typoman

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Comes with the Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: September 15, 2009, 07:44:51 am »

Text
Wall of Text

My impression of the collosus would make more sense after the magic ark.
i pictured it as being created long in the past by dwarves who animated it much in the fassion of a golem (magic engavings in or on head that not anly give it life but are basically programming) and it went on a murderous rampage cause someone screwed up the engravings telling it who is friend and who is foe. or perhaps the engravings were damaged somehow.
the shape would be a huge dwarf in plate armour. the armour would have intricate engravings all over it telling the whole history of the dwarves that made it.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: September 15, 2009, 07:52:58 am »

I always figured it was something left behind by Armok when he created the world; massive statues built in his image that accidentally absorbed some of the leaking divine creation power and came to life. Or perhaps huge idols built to a given god that were animated by an ancient race with a trapped spirit of some kind, the spirit; not being too hot on being trapped in a body of bronze, promptly flipped the fuck out and killed them all off.

Or something, who knows. There could be thousands of different kinds, each with their own unique origin.

Perhaps the Titans built them?

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: September 15, 2009, 09:41:54 am »

{Another quick sketch: A legendary thrower}

that's a.. very manly chin. Methinks you're just drawing babes in leather and then trying to make them seem DF-related...

{Another quickie. Goblin Cavalry}

Nice composition, the picture really flows. I always thought beak dogs were red, though.

{Vester's Vermin-eater pic}

oh wow, that's funny. and so true.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: September 15, 2009, 10:33:33 am »

Nah, I draw babes WHILE thinking of DF, so it's a real-time process. However I like to draw them in general, so the theme doesn't matter that much.
Also, I am not sure about beak dog's color. Might be red as well.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: September 15, 2009, 10:39:50 am »

Apparently I'm the only one around here who draws women with enough clothing on.  :P

(Ah, just being silly, I just happen to be a bit more prudish than most people.  ;) )
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: September 15, 2009, 12:38:34 pm »

O_O
So much awesome stuff.... I cant even begin commenting on it all..
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: September 15, 2009, 12:59:01 pm »

I really need to break out the ol' mechanical pencil again.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 561