Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 561

Author Topic: Fan art competition! *Moving sound*  (Read 1456142 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Fan art competition!
« Reply #660 on: March 31, 2009, 09:40:32 am »

Actually originally kobolds were pale-skinned creatures which lived in mines and could cause cave-ins, they were "miners' boogiemen". Later DnD took em and created a dragon-worshipping scaly race. Toady's kobolds in kobold quest are much closer to origin, although they have fur. Still they are ugly evil creatures which set up traps in caves and throw poisoned bugs at people.

Yes, yes, folklore and all that. I am quite aware.

Nonetheless: Puppy. People.

(I didn't draw that)
There's nothing koboldish in this picture for me. They look like tame gnoll-dwarf crossbreeds :).

I can draw you a for-boobed dragon germaphrodite and tell you that this is a spacemonkey:).

According to wiki folkloire http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobold their description is something between gnomes and elves (not tolkien but folkloire elves). This does not mean they may be raped by any artist/gamemaker, however there's a tendency to forget the folkloire and make something funny/sexy/scary to attract people.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 09:44:07 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: March 31, 2009, 10:30:42 am »

This is what I think of as kobolds. Maybe it's because it's the only 3d representation I've seen of them.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: March 31, 2009, 11:07:57 am »

Actually originally kobolds were pale-skinned creatures which lived in mines and could cause cave-ins, they were "miners' boogiemen". Later DnD took em and created a dragon-worshipping scaly race. Toady's kobolds in kobold quest are much closer to origin, although they have fur. Still they are ugly evil creatures which set up traps in caves and throw poisoned bugs at people.

(I didn't draw that)
There's nothing koboldish in this picture for me. They look like tame gnoll-dwarf crossbreeds :).

I can draw you a for-boobed dragon germaphrodite and tell you that this is a spacemonkey:).

According to wiki folkloire http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobold their description is something between gnomes and elves (not tolkien but folkloire elves). This does not mean they may be raped by any artist/gamemaker, however there's a tendency to forget the folkloire and make something funny/sexy/scary to attract people.
Kobold rape D:

Actually, that'd only be a forcible Eskimo kiss.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: March 31, 2009, 01:05:07 pm »

I always thought kobolds as miniature rat people. Who cares about the lesser races anyway? They exist to be downtrodded and slaughtered.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: March 31, 2009, 01:10:54 pm »

Oh my, furchans... Furry tendency screwed even kobolds.

Barbarossa the Seal God
Looks like a werewolf o_O. Kobolds are almost like gnomes in most cases :). Oh let's stop offtopic, I am going to rush in a flamewar :). More pics please.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: March 31, 2009, 01:19:07 pm »

This is what I think of as kobolds. Maybe it's because it's the only 3d representation I've seen of them.

Hm....I think that kobolds "should" look like this, but I am not arguing at all, since this is a matter of personal opinion.  :) [Yeah, I've posted this image a couple of times already, but ah well.  ;D]

Musluk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: March 31, 2009, 02:33:06 pm »

Meh, Our Elves Are Different, too.

Preferences differ, I like the 3rd ed's scaly kobolds more than the elder ed's doggy kobolds. 3rd ed kobolds menace with draconic spikes.
Fe3g12 - the fourth iron ore.
The man who can smile when things go wrong has thought of someone he can blame it on.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: March 31, 2009, 05:13:59 pm »

(I didn't draw that)

Hm, that kobold looks awfully similar to Ian McConville's gnolls.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: April 01, 2009, 04:14:25 am »

I hate to be pedantic here. (Not really.) Scaly kobolds are specifically from 3rd edition D&D. Earlier editions were inconsistent on monster appearances, but kobolds were sometimes described as dog-like, and some other sources picked up on this.

I dunno why they changed the puppy people into baby dinosaurs.

Scarier?

Ursca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: April 01, 2009, 06:41:26 am »

If Brian Froud is on the cards, then I always imagined Kobolds as looking like this:

Which kind of hits both the dog and lizard camps I suppose.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: April 01, 2009, 07:53:05 am »

If Brian Froud is on the cards, then I always imagined Kobolds as looking like this:

Which kind of hits both the dog and lizard camps I suppose.

Hm....yeah.....not bad...not bad at all. This creature looks "koboldish" indeed.  :)

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: April 01, 2009, 07:59:08 am »

Gosh, I didn't realize I was striking such a nerve.   ;)

Here's a slightly more koboldy kobold for y'all then:

(I did draw this)

Kobolds have to be adorable as far as I'm concerned. You can keep your pointy-eared demon children.
Though my definition of adorable is fairly broad, really. That picture Ursca posted counts.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: April 01, 2009, 12:51:35 pm »

I think it fits. It is cute but not to cute.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: April 01, 2009, 01:14:12 pm »

Kobolds have been everything from diminuative humans with pointy ears, to dog-people, to lizard-people, to rat-people... I think it's safe to say there is NO definitive form for a kobold, so it really is whatever you like.
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Jakkarra

« Reply #674 on: April 01, 2009, 01:39:16 pm »

id say i prefer the cutesy puppy-people variety.

the ones done by gobbo are sooooo cute!

Love jakkarra

EDIT, this whole post sounds wrong.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 561