Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 531 532 [533] 534 535 ... 561

Author Topic: Fan art competition! *Moving sound*  (Read 1460690 times)

Spitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fan art competition! *Moving sound*
« Reply #7980 on: November 07, 2013, 12:03:25 pm »

Gongratz KharBevNor, to your great work!
Quote from: Rex_Nex
Wanting boobs is primal, not something sparked by the degradation of humanity.

Fen

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretly A Kobold Werebull
    • View Profile
« Reply #7981 on: November 07, 2013, 02:19:26 pm »

I honestly found myself singing aloud to the dead dwarfs alphabet. It was highly amusing and well done! I especially liked the massive engraving in the well room.
This space for rent

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7982 on: November 07, 2013, 07:04:30 pm »

Well done, indeed!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #7983 on: November 08, 2013, 11:12:26 pm »

Amazing :))

Both K33n and Tofu's last pieces are definitely digital. You'd be surprised at what you can achieve with even the most basic tablets; I get fairly good results with my Bamboo, which is absolutely entry level, just working in Photoshop.
So there is hope with me and GIMP and/or Photoshop! Yay!

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7984 on: November 08, 2013, 11:23:20 pm »

Both K33n and Tofu's last pieces are definitely digital. You'd be surprised at what you can achieve with even the most basic tablets; I get fairly good results with my Bamboo, which is absolutely entry level, just working in Photoshop.

I've posted these in a separate thread down in the creative projects forum, but I thought I'd pop them in here as well, where people are more likely to see them. The inspiration for this work came when someone posted Edward Gorey's classic morbid alphabet The Gashlycrumb Tinies to reddit's /r/dwarffortress under the title, 'a dwarf child's alphabet'. I thought that the idea could stand some dwarfifying, and, after a few versions, limited by the fact that the game's options for Dwarf names indicate the Dwarven alphabet to be of twenty letters (With no H, J, P, Q, W, X or Y, but including a Th). After coming up with the rhyme, it quickly became obvious that I would have to illustrate it, and I set to work. As I completed more and more images, I became more convinced of the appropriateness of the treatment, rendering it as something more than parody. After all, Gorey's original work subverts the normally carefree world of childhood represented by the abecedarium (ABC book) by introducing parental paranoias about the dangers that face their offspring. The Dwarf Fortress version casts the Dwarves as children and the player as the parents, a relationship which I, at least relate to, though which might discomfort some of the more Machiavellian players of the great game. Anyway, here's the pictures as an imgur album, or, in the cut:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I love it!

And yeah, I use a wacom bamboo and Photoshop elements. I've never heard of anyone using more then one stylus.

KharBevNor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7985 on: November 09, 2013, 05:27:20 am »

I actually have two pens for my Bamboo. This is because I lost my pen, and was forced to buy another one off the internet (slightly cheaper than buying a new Bamboo), because I needed the tablet urgently for university work. I then, naturally, found the other pen two weeks later. The new pen is actually nicer to use than the old one, in my opinion (this one instead of this one), so it sort of works out in the end. For years I used an Intuos 1, and though I miss the area and the double-ended pen, the Bamboo outstrips it completely in terms of actual drawing. It's amazing how good and cheap tablet technology has become.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7986 on: November 10, 2013, 02:59:37 am »

<snip>

Bravo, I love the woodcut look with the rhyming :)
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #7987 on: November 10, 2013, 06:53:24 am »

The alphabet of dead dwarves, brilliant I say.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • not for trees
« Reply #7988 on: November 11, 2013, 03:54:08 pm »

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7989 on: November 11, 2013, 08:27:28 pm »

Ooh, ......... again. :D
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7990 on: November 11, 2013, 08:58:01 pm »

I thought 9dots art stuff had a mouseover blurb? At least the ones in 'draw my adventures' did.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7991 on: November 11, 2013, 10:03:34 pm »

this is one of the most creepy fanarts i've ever seen
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7992 on: November 11, 2013, 10:48:13 pm »

I'm getting a feeling of possession or elemental power here.  The cloud over the head makes it seem more elemental, but could also be an indication of possession since this is a visual medium?

Is this fellow supposed to be a husk, a possessed dwarf, a dwarf in a fell mood?

I'm thinking fell mood, it just feels darker, but not raw or chaotic enough to be a husk?
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7993 on: November 12, 2013, 12:27:14 am »

Looks like he is getting electrocuted or something.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7994 on: November 12, 2013, 03:20:43 am »

No, he's just really really cold.
Pages: 1 ... 531 532 [533] 534 535 ... 561