Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 526 527 [528] 529 530 ... 561

Author Topic: Fan art competition! *Moving sound*  (Read 1460872 times)

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fan art competition! *Moving sound*
« Reply #7905 on: May 03, 2013, 10:11:00 am »

Thanks.

My point is to try and draw everything exactly as it's described using the 'k' and 'v' and 't' commands.  That way it's basically a pen and paper "screenshot."

My big mistake with the metalcrafter was that I was tired and I put the smelting furnace across from him instead of diagonal from him.

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7906 on: May 03, 2013, 10:46:58 am »

I like the cod statue.

I sometimes sketch out rooms/ parts of the fortress when I have some difficulty imagining what they'd look like in 3 dimensions or irl.

I'm still not sure what up/down staircases look like, or two bedrooms sharing 1 door in the intersection of the wall. I suppose the stairs could be a narrow spiral staircase, but not sure how the landings would work... and the door, I dunno, it seems like some Lovecraftian alien geometry that causes insanity to look at because mortal minds cannot comprehend it.

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7907 on: May 03, 2013, 12:26:59 pm »

Just a quick sketch of how I might depicts different types of stairs.  Of course, the material they're made from (blocks, rough hewn, carved) would effect appearance as well.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You have to think relative to the point of view.  So, a down staircase would simply be access to the layer underneath.  An up staircase would simply be a path to the layer above.  To depict an up/down staircase, accurately, you would have to show a path down AND  path up, in the same tile.

So, a spiral staircase would work, IF you have it coming up from a hole in the ground and rising into a hole in the ceiling.  However, a spiral staircase could be only up, if there's a solid floor underneath.  The direction that the stairs lead are the bigger indicator than the aesthetic style.

EDIT: also, I'm not sure what exactly you're describing with the door, but if you can send a screenshot, I'll try and draw it
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 12:36:31 pm by Hamsmagoo »

Spitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7908 on: May 03, 2013, 12:36:56 pm »

I think DF-stairs are even more complex then that. An up-down-stair allows movement to up to 26 different tiles (9 one z-level below, 8 on the same z-level, 9 above).

Real stairs can't depict this level of movement freedom. That's why I always imagine DF-stairs to actually be ladders. Fits that an unconcious creature will tumble to the very bottom.

Real stairs are more related to DF-ramps.
Quote from: Rex_Nex
Wanting boobs is primal, not something sparked by the degradation of humanity.

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7909 on: May 03, 2013, 12:41:15 pm »

Technically, there are no ladders in Dwarf Fortress, but if you wanted to draw up/down stairs to look like a ladder, you could.  As long as provides access to the lower layer as well as the upper.

Ramps would just be drawn as ramps.   I wouldn't put steps on a ramp.

And I think real life stairs work exactly the same way.  I mean, you can approach that staircase I drew from eight different angles.  Then, once you climb or descend, you can depart from one of eight different directions.  There may not be a floor tile to accommodate all eight, all the time.  Like when you build stairs against a wall.  But there's nothing about stairs in this game that defies physics, in my opinion.  It's just about visualizing what the little symbols are doing.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 12:53:38 pm by Hamsmagoo »

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7910 on: May 03, 2013, 03:51:12 pm »

I mean bedrooms like this, with D being a door, + being floor, # being walls. According to dwarven physics, the two rooms are separate from each other but share the same door. Whenever I try to sketch it out, it doesn't seem accurate.

++####
++#++#
++D###
++#++#
######

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7911 on: May 03, 2013, 05:10:08 pm »

I mean bedrooms like this, with D being a door, + being floor, # being walls. According to dwarven physics, the two rooms are separate from each other but share the same door. Whenever I try to sketch it out, it doesn't seem accurate.

++####
++#++#
++D###
++#++#
######

Ok, what you just described, I imagine would appear as a dorfy revolving door.  Keep in mind, these are rough sketches:

View from outside:

View from inside one of the rooms:

View from above, looking straight down:

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #7912 on: May 23, 2013, 02:49:32 pm »

A picture related to the founding of my fort Boardpasses.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7913 on: May 24, 2013, 04:26:37 am »

I stayed awake all last night downloading every picture I could from this thread, sorting them by the creator's username. Unfortunately there were many dead links, and some links that looked like they ought to be working but which did not work for me. Still, I got hundreds of images. It was difficult to tell sometimes when work was plagiarised and/or when it was misposted in the thread; some of the links were somewhat convoluted. I used my best judgement when deciding what to include.

Here is the .rar, current up to Julien Brightside's post on May the 23rd.

Now I'm going to get a quick nap in.

But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

manboricua

• Bay Watcher
  • After the 50th Fort, I'm getting the hang of this!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7914 on: May 25, 2013, 01:22:23 pm »

Thanks!
Loving life every second

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7915 on: May 29, 2013, 06:47:04 pm »

Here's a few more index card drawings.  Kind of amateurish, I know, but my point was to try and copy scenes from the game exactly as they would appear.

This is Grililithlilbis, the kobold.  I may have overdone it with the blood.

One of the dwarf children created this lovely artifact in the middle of a tantrum spiral.

I had plans for this minotaur.  Unfortunately, my fortress was overrun by bird-turtle people from Hell before I had a chance to complete construction of the labyrinth.  I assume this minotaur is still sitting in that stockpile, waiting for some stupid adventurer to set him free.

Litast Nishossek has a unique way of leading striking demonstrations.

I appreciate the work you put into the .rar, Buttery_Mess.  Must have been tiring.

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #7916 on: May 30, 2013, 12:19:48 am »

I find those drawings quite good when it comes to depicting the crazy life that is Dwarf Fortress.

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7917 on: May 30, 2013, 06:00:23 pm »

I find those drawings quite good when it comes to depicting the crazy life that is Dwarf Fortress.

Thanks!

And actually, didn't notice it before, but your comic reminds me of a specific embark in my world where the biome was tropical, but I guess it got hit with a cold front or something the moment I started because it was buried in snow.  That storm was followed by a parade of tundra titans.

Clatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7918 on: May 31, 2013, 10:41:58 am »

A picture related to the founding of my fort Boardpasses.

I laughed out loud Julien.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7919 on: May 31, 2013, 09:42:25 pm »

++####
++#++#
++D###
++#++#
######

I've always imagined doors like this to either have hinges at the top, like many crawlspace doors do in real world homes, or to actually slide up into the ceiling (or down into the floor) like counterweighted double pane windows.

How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)
Pages: 1 ... 526 527 [528] 529 530 ... 561