Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 500 501 [502] 503 504 ... 561

Author Topic: Fan art competition! *Moving sound*  (Read 1461189 times)

poncheman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fan art competition! *Moving sound*
« Reply #7515 on: April 10, 2012, 08:08:43 pm »

been a long time since I drew some Df stuff, back playing it and wanted to draw something, so I'm dumping an axelord here!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #7516 on: April 11, 2012, 05:10:58 am »

Ey Tofu, that picture is quite amazing.
"Urist throws a party in the dining hall."

Also, nice Axelord poncheman.

DarkerDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7517 on: April 11, 2012, 05:45:43 am »

been a long time since I drew some Df stuff, back playing it and wanted to draw something, so I'm dumping an axelord here!

Nice! Now you need to have him surrounded by dismembered goblin corpses! :D

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7518 on: April 13, 2012, 08:06:58 am »

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7519 on: April 13, 2012, 01:38:53 pm »

yup, dwarven fortresses tend to be that visually impressive

Tofu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7520 on: April 14, 2012, 08:06:35 pm »

It's a pretty sweet painting, and not just for the raw skill behind it, either! I like the merry scene depicted, and how that one dwarf is like either introducing his wife, or requesting that a song be played in her honor. The dwarves themselves seem a bit like the dwarves from the Dragon Age setting, very handsome and proper, unlike the dwarves from Dwarf Fortress, who are all blood and vomit encrusted psychopaths. :)
Thanks, as I said it's not finished, but thank you nonetheless. Yeah, as I've said before; what I'm most excited about, and already is most excited by, is how dwarves interact with each other and how all of that pans out. You get all these insane stories of guilt and romance and craftsdwarfship that makes my gaming heart go wild. It's all incredible. That's also why I enjoy the combat, because not only is it satisfying, but imagine how people adjust their lives afterwards, how it all plays into their social makeup. Most of this is outside the game, but it's still sort of implied, and I love that. The "introducing the wife" was partly intentional, and I thought it was fitting to the theme I went for. Cool that you noticed it. Anyways, those reasons are also why I don't like the stereotypical maniacal psychopath dwarves, because that's all they end up as: stereotypes. The dwarves in the game already have personalities and looks that far outweigh that of those stereotypes. That's why I paint them with such differing looks, facial hair and so on. I remember reading "the legacy", a part of a series of fantasy books by R.A. Salvatore, where dwarves all have full on beards, even the women. While I could enjoy such a cartoony stereotype in something else, this book, this universe and how everything worked there just ended up making me feel serious discomfort. I guess I'm a weird one that way. I have yet to finish that book. I should.

what do you actually see wrong with it?
A lot of things. Most of it is simply because I didn't finish it, as you can clearly see with how I haven't even started rendering some of the feet, the hands are half-arsed placeholders and some of the lighting is off. Something I also take issue with is how incredibly dumb the composition ends up being, and the only visual pleasure you'll derive from it is simply in rendering and/or the marginal storytelling. I'd like it to be more dynamic. The problem I had with making it is that I started out the "wrong way". I realize that there is really no actual wrong way for you to take while you paint, but the way I used made things harder for me. Things weren't as easy to change later on, and that's sort of why the composition is out of whack as well. That, and I don't have the proper spacial relationship in value that I wanted, no "foreground, middleground, background" going on and so forth.

Ey Tofu, that picture is quite amazing.
"Urist throws a party in the dining hall."

Also, nice Axelord poncheman.
Thanks, always appreciated, hehe. I love thinking about those parties. I can't wait for Inns and music and shit like that. Those'll end up being the best things ever.

Black_Legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7521 on: April 14, 2012, 11:17:56 pm »

Functional music has been modded, in a way, just recently. Check it out here, it shows great promise for the interaction system.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=107325.0

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7522 on: April 14, 2012, 11:43:40 pm »

Out of all the DF fanart I have seen, this is the one that has been closest to my own experience.
Soaplent green is goblins!

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7523 on: April 15, 2012, 09:45:59 am »

Very strong pose. His mask/helmet might make him a suitable candidate for the Avengers or the Justice League, though. :D
For some reason the simplicity is great. It's adorable in a way. Maybe because that one goblin (between the troll-riding goblin and the sun) seems to be riding either an armoured sheep or four-legged beetle with shoes. :D
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #7524 on: April 15, 2012, 10:30:37 am »

It's obviously a beak dog. Just look at it's beak!

:P

Also, the bard painting is fabulous.
He's totally into that dwarf chick.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7525 on: April 17, 2012, 03:33:52 am »

I remember there was an awesome mspaint short comic about a dwarf shot in a tooth. Is it here or in "Draw your adventures" thread?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

DarkerDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7526 on: April 17, 2012, 04:58:08 am »

I remember there was an awesome mspaint short comic about a dwarf shot in a tooth. Is it here or in "Draw your adventures" thread?

It's was posted in this thread here: dwarf's wisdom tooth makes an epic defense roll!

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7527 on: April 17, 2012, 08:20:26 am »

Looks like the comic has disappeared from that thread. Was it the one where the dwarf gets a bolt shot in his mouth, snaps the bolt in half with his jaws, spits out a solitary tooth, and then gives the goblin a death-stare? And all that was in the combat log of the game (except the death-stare).

That was cool. I searched for that a while ago and couldn't find it.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7528 on: April 17, 2012, 08:37:06 am »

read on, it's posted on a later page.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile