Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 487 488 [489] 490 491 ... 561

Author Topic: Fan art competition! *Moving sound*  (Read 1461359 times)

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
Re: Fan art competition! *Moving sound*
« Reply #7320 on: February 01, 2012, 11:33:41 pm »

The introduction of (often very subtle) motion into pixel-precise art, the exquisite blending of ordered dither, the contrast between stark geometry, accurate detail and broadly abstracted anatomical features; . . . . . . . . .'s work is like diving headlong into a seething whirlpool of madness and then inhaling a deeper, more fundemental order beneath the surface that defies all expectation.

Autism is one explanation. Genius is another.
The difference is that Geniuses find it harder to interact with people. :P

It's a constant burden, but we manage.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #7321 on: February 02, 2012, 12:00:34 pm »

I say!
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Lord Herman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7322 on: February 03, 2012, 04:32:25 am »

That's not to say folks with autism can't be geniuses. I happen to be autistic, you know. :P

Really though, I wish people wouldn't use autism as a prejorative. It's hard enough living in a non-autistic world without people assuming you're Rain Man.

...unless I completely mistook the meaning of this discussion, which is a reasonable assumtion to make when dealing with an autistic. :P

On a less defensive note, I love the art in this thread. There's some real talent here.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7323 on: February 03, 2012, 05:58:39 am »

That's not to say folks with autism can't be geniuses. I happen to be autistic, you know. :P

Really though, I wish people wouldn't use autism as a prejorative. It's hard enough living in a non-autistic world without people assuming you're Rain Man.

...unless I completely mistook the meaning of this discussion, which is a reasonable assumtion to make when dealing with an autistic. :P

On a less defensive note, I love the art in this thread. There's some real talent here.
The meaning of the discussion is that it is impolite and presumptive to suggest that a person has a psychosocial abnormality such as autism.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7324 on: February 03, 2012, 02:11:58 pm »

The meaning of the discussion is that it is impolite and presumptive to suggest that a person has a psychosocial abnormality such as autism.
Don't you think it's more impolite to tell someone who is autistic that they're psychosocially abnormal?

Some autists have difficulty surviving on their own and you might consider them mentally disabled, but there are plenty of people in the world who aren't autistic or are even considered mentally disabled who do far worse than the average autist. As far as I can tell, most autists are just different in a sufficiently similar way that they can be identified as a group. To say that they're abnormal is absurd to me, because if there's one thing that I'm certain of it's that there's no such thing as 'normal'.

It's not an insult to suggest that someone is autistic. It's far more insulting to suggest that suggesting someone is autistic is an insult.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7325 on: February 03, 2012, 03:46:07 pm »

Or... Is it most insulting to suggest that suggesting that someone is suggesting that someone suggested suggesting someone is Autistic is an insult? :P

[/silly]
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7326 on: February 03, 2012, 04:49:51 pm »

Oh snap, now the thread is all about autism.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7327 on: February 03, 2012, 05:20:24 pm »

DWARVES

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7328 on: February 03, 2012, 05:22:26 pm »

Now that is what this thread should be about. Looking good, Fault!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7329 on: February 03, 2012, 05:53:21 pm »

Yeah, that's great, Fault. What paint program are you using again? You're using a tablet, right? I tried using a tablet once but didn't like it.
But .... It's so small!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7330 on: February 03, 2012, 06:22:34 pm »

Thankyou Fault, for bringing the thread back on topic again with more of your awesome art! :D
I need to catch up once more in your Webcomic... I couldn't read it in ages and I think I'm quite a ways behind. It's excellent, though, so I'm not complaining on having so much piled up to read through!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7331 on: February 03, 2012, 06:48:54 pm »

Yeah, that's great, Fault. What paint program are you using again? You're using a tablet, right? I tried using a tablet once but didn't like it.

Tablet. Paint tool SAI. Brush tool with varying degrees of blend and a "spread" shape texture applied to it. Highlights were added without the blending or texture variations.

Thankyou Fault, for bringing the thread back on topic again with more of your awesome art! :D
I need to catch up once more in your Webcomic... I couldn't read it in ages and I think I'm quite a ways behind. It's excellent, though, so I'm not complaining on having so much piled up to read through!

thanks! It's always good to hear from fans. you inspire me to try and work faster!

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7332 on: February 03, 2012, 07:55:20 pm »

Ah, so you use SAI, interesting, I'll have to dick around with the settings you use. I don't think I touch the brush tool, but then again I also have the Onta toolset.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7333 on: February 03, 2012, 08:47:38 pm »

Your stuff is good as always, Fault. A lot of stuff made in SAI tends to have a certain look to it regardless of artist, but yours looks quite distinct.

Don't you think it's more impolite to tell someone who is autistic that they're psychosocially abnormal?
No. That's a literal truth and probably the most value-neutral non-judgmental way it can be said.

Some autists have difficulty surviving on their own and you might consider them mentally disabled, but there are plenty of people in the world who aren't autistic or are even considered mentally disabled who do far worse than the average autist. As far as I can tell, most autists are just different in a sufficiently similar way that they can be identified as a group.
Nothing I said is in any way counter to this.
To say that they're abnormal is absurd to me, because if there's one thing that I'm certain of it's that there's no such thing as 'normal'.
There's no one "normal" that can be applied to everybody, but in all aspects of a person there's a range of normalcy. People with autism spectrum disorders, at least ones sever enough to merit a diagnosis, are outside the normal range in a specific way. That's not necessarily a bad thing, although it can be very inconvenient at times. But it's nonetheless a true thing and an adequate descriptor.

It's not an insult to suggest that someone is autistic. It's far more insulting to suggest that suggesting someone is autistic is an insult.
It's not an insult to say someone's autistic if it's true. But it's still not appropriate to go deeming someone's autistic on the internet, as it is to go attributing any quality to someone. You could just as easily have said "I'm 100% certain that . . . . . . . . . is black" or "I'm 100% certain that . . . . . . . . . is a woman" or "I'm 100% certain that . . . . . . . . . is gay". There's nothing wrong with being any of those things, but nonetheless calling somebody those things is offensive, both to the person in question and to other members of the demographic you're bringing up.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7334 on: February 04, 2012, 10:57:16 am »

And with that we're back to autism.

Also inb4 9dot is black/female/gay/all of the above.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: 1 ... 487 488 [489] 490 491 ... 561