Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 481 482 [483] 484 485 ... 561

Author Topic: Fan art competition! *Moving sound*  (Read 1461471 times)

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fan art competition! *Moving sound*
« Reply #7230 on: December 23, 2011, 08:12:03 pm »

hmm yeah the focus problem is definitely something I'll have to address the more I work in this style... I definitely did make everything too sharp and clean in that picture.

in addition to what you suggested, I think it would also have helped if I had more prominent shadows.. I haven't quite figured out the intricacies of diffuse lighting.

DarkerDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7231 on: December 24, 2011, 08:10:22 am »

Simple art.. Second done with a tablet. Just saying, but criticism would be welcome.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Try to avoid putting the horizon line in the center.  It tends to look better if it's closer to either the top or bottom.  You can actually do that in this picture by cropping it, so that some of the bottom is cut off.  The only thing down there is some grass, so you won't lose much.

Rule of composition #44: Focus and/or a majority of composition lines placed in the centre tend to result in a boring picture.

Exploit the Rule of Thirds and the Golden Ratio to your benefit.

Dwarven haulers.

Nice (and cute too), but your picture would benefit from a proper focal point. Right now, everything has roughly the same importance (the eye is drawn to everywhere in the picture) which makes it slightly uncomfortable to look at as well as lacking a proper subject. Right now, my eye focuses the most on that thick black dividing line a little shy of the one-third mark from the left of the picture, which I don't think is the place you want viewers to focus on.

Simulating camera focus on your desired subject whilst removing detail and saturation from things behind and in front of it usually works. I suggest you make that black line to the left less loud as well.

Many thanks for posting a link to the Rule of Thirds. I read it and learned something. :)

As for Fault's picture, I believe it lacks a general focus because it's ultimately going to be sequential art. The finished product will have speech bubbles occupying the majority of that empty space which will then draw the eyes into the two conversing dwarves. Think of the viewer as a passing dwarf, not entirely interested about anything going on in the current picture until he catches the conversation. This leads him into the next panel which should focus on the two dwarves talking to each other.

It's probably not the best excuse, but you have to remember that when you're working with comics, flow is as important, if not more important than focus.  ;)

I could be wrong though.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7232 on: December 24, 2011, 08:01:07 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:22:26 am by Ogdibus »

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7233 on: December 26, 2011, 02:25:34 am »

Fault, can I have more of your adventurer pics?
Like this one that you drew:

To clarify: I am requesting more cute adventurers :D
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 03:06:29 am by magistrate101 »

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7234 on: December 26, 2011, 03:14:24 pm »

Female ones are always welcome.  :P

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #7235 on: December 26, 2011, 05:02:41 pm »

female Elves...
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7236 on: December 26, 2011, 06:59:40 pm »

Female ones are always welcome.  :P

Or male ones :D
Just don't pull a deon and make it nude... I want the eye candy without the nsfw :P

More pictures! I demand it!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 01:47:17 am by magistrate101 »

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7237 on: December 28, 2011, 02:11:03 am »

requesting

well actually, some time after the christmas season, I was thinking of starting to take commissions for like... $5 each maybe.

I've got a few things to clear out of my schedule first, but if you got the ideas I sure can draw'em!

But before I post a link, I should probably ask armok if it's okay to advertise this in his thread!

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7238 on: December 28, 2011, 02:15:20 am »

requesting

well actually, some time after the christmas season, I was thinking of starting to take commissions for like... $5 each maybe.

I've got a few things to clear out of my schedule first, but if you got the ideas I sure can draw'em!

But before I post a link, I should probably ask armok if it's okay to advertise this in his thread!
It'd be more sensible to ask Toady, since he is The God Of Coding And Forums...
Also, secondary request: If the cute blue adventurer is going to be a recurring character/main character, make him gay for me
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 02:25:50 am by magistrate101 »

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7239 on: December 28, 2011, 05:35:37 am »

requesting

So, it means that from now on, we all need to pay you for any requests, am I right?

I was just thinking about asking you to draw something starring Cacame Awemedinade...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 12:42:28 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7240 on: December 28, 2011, 10:17:18 pm »

requesting

So, it means that from now on, we all need to pay you for any requests, am I right?

I was just thinking about asking you to draw something starring Cacame Awemedinade...
Och! He was stating that we was thinking about it, not that he is set-in-stone absolutely going to do it! (Always look for the keyword maybe!)

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7241 on: December 29, 2011, 07:30:36 am »

Och! He was stating that we was thinking about it, not that he is set-in-stone absolutely going to do it! (Always look for the keyword maybe!)
Ok, then. Initially I thought he has already decided to take commissions and was about to start a thread for requesting (or something like that).
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #7242 on: January 03, 2012, 03:37:14 pm »

Reading the dev log is as fun as ever.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7243 on: January 04, 2012, 07:03:30 am »

It seems that I found this Thread in the weirdest way possible.
But whatever.
More Color in Future! Maybe. Minimalism seems to make some things nicer.
Also, the Guy standing outside is a Migrant, who has not been let in, due to being a Legendary Waste of Space.

Also, isnt there some tag to make everything nicely shrink to fit the screen?
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • not for trees
« Reply #7244 on: January 05, 2012, 08:55:06 am »

Pages: 1 ... 481 482 [483] 484 485 ... 561