Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 459 460 [461] 462 463 ... 561

Author Topic: Fan art competition! *Moving sound*  (Read 1461703 times)

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fan art competition! *Moving sound*
« Reply #6900 on: August 20, 2011, 05:46:02 am »

don't eat or drink.

they have the [BONECARN] tag in their raws, which implies [CARNIVORE]. Carnivorous nations can't survive worldgen without [NO_EAT], for some reason (at least that's what the wiki says) so it may just be a precaution until that issue is fixed.

Or maybe they don't need to eat, but can still choose to? Besides I've always liked the image of them just eating bones, getting nourishment from something that'd harm most other races if eaten. Which is why I included a goblin noble chomping on a bone like a little cigar

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6901 on: August 20, 2011, 02:03:04 pm »

I'm pretty sure Toady said in one of his podcasts that the [NO_EAT] isn't just a placeholder, and goblins actually don't have to eat. No idea why. They still CAN eat, though, and probably enjoy it.

I am now imagining goblin towers with oubliettes full of goblins who were thrown in as a punishment some three hundred years ago, and never got around to dying.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6902 on: August 20, 2011, 08:01:43 pm »

Oh I guess goblins are meant to survive on bones, but Toady hasn't coded that in yet. I wondered what BONECARN meant.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Rushmik

• Bay Watcher
  • Militia? Oh, you mean *serrated steel discs*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6903 on: August 21, 2011, 04:03:15 am »

I had a strange mood of my own today and produced this picture of my resident mechanic, responsible for the heaps of shredded goblin, troll and rabbit flesh outside my fort's gate.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Don't look too closely at his fingers or feet.

And Fault, your superiorly crafted drawings just claimed an hour of my life. You should livestream or record the process some time, I'd love to see the technique you use in action.
If you don't mind me asking, how did you make that?

An excessive use of layers and lassos in Gimp. :)

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #6904 on: August 21, 2011, 04:10:48 am »

I had a strange mood of my own today and produced this picture of my resident mechanic, responsible for the heaps of shredded goblin, troll and rabbit flesh outside my fort's gate.

Don't look too closely at his fingers or feet.

And Fault, your superiorly crafted drawings just claimed an hour of my life. You should livestream or record the process some time, I'd love to see the technique you use in action.
If you don't mind me asking, how did you make that?

An excessive use of layers and lassos in Gimp. :)
Could've been easier with something like inkscape. It looks a lot like a vector image after all.

Rushmik

• Bay Watcher
  • Militia? Oh, you mean *serrated steel discs*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6905 on: August 21, 2011, 05:08:39 am »

You're probably right. I need to look into other programs some time.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6906 on: August 21, 2011, 06:07:30 am »

If your main tools are the lasso and layers, vector art should be pretty easy to get used to. Inkscape, mentioned by peterix, is both free and reasonably intuitive to use.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #6907 on: August 21, 2011, 10:38:05 am »

I like that style, Rushmik.

Just a goblin:

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6908 on: August 21, 2011, 03:16:28 pm »

It seems that there is something in posts 6870-6884 that causes my computer to slow to dwarven syrup speeds so that the page never finishes loading (I unplugged the internet cord to get it to stop displaying, then left it for five hours; no change). Did someone post some image so gargantuanly large it fills my oddly-configured RAM?
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #6909 on: August 21, 2011, 04:21:10 pm »

Nothing abnormal there, actually. I've got my computer set up in a ridiculously lightweight config, that might have something to do with it, although I don't even see any increased memory usage from that page, so it's probably you.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #6910 on: August 21, 2011, 04:56:42 pm »

I haven't seen anyone doing a Soviet-style poster, unfortunately :P
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6911 on: August 21, 2011, 06:12:10 pm »

Very Warcraft I, rhesusmacabre.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Ovg

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥ Pretty Princess ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #6912 on: August 21, 2011, 09:29:59 pm »

Just posting to say: ........., I love your art. It is something absolutely beautiful in it's surreality, the expression, the mood and the unnerving feeling you get after watching them for a longer amount of time. I am actually thinking of printing and framing some of your pictures.

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6913 on: August 23, 2011, 12:41:58 am »

Hello everyone!
First, I must say that I have never drew something since third grade or something like this. Until two weels ago or so!

When I saw this post :
I thought "Hey that's a really nice style, I wonder if I could do something like this." So I took a pen and some papers and tried to draw the dwarf on the right.

Since I enjoyed drawing it a lot, I decided to come up with something on my own. I started by drawing this :

Until, "Cheveux has been interrupted : Started reading Clan of the Cave Spider - Community Cavern Fortress", and I had to try and draw the character I was dwarfed as. He's the weapon crafter, making swords out of bones.

When I was done with this one, I decided to go back to the unfinished one. After a couple of hours, it's still not done, but I only need to fix the legs and add some engraving on the blank ring in his mustache.
I think I made a really nice progress from not being able to draw stick figures in a correct pose to those drawing.

Now, since in really just a dabbling engraver, I need some criticism to help me improve. Anything that seems off, tell me.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 12:51:08 am by Cheveux »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6914 on: August 23, 2011, 01:11:25 am »

Cheveux: Very good, especially considering you haven't drawn much before! :) One thing that's always tricky, and takes a lot of practice, is the actual figure of your characters. I like the way you draw faces, but a tip for getting more 'realistic' looking bodies is to sketch the basic frame of them first, like a simplified skeleton, and then draw the muscle, clothes and such over that.
I love the dwarf's face, though: He's sort of got a smug look, like "Bring it on, gobboes!" :D Keep it up!

Oh, and the axe and shield is good, too. Axes are fun to draw!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 459 460 [461] 462 463 ... 561