Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 561

Author Topic: Fan art competition! *Moving sound*  (Read 1457061 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Fan art competition!
« Reply #3675 on: March 10, 2010, 09:25:55 pm »

I might incorporate the team colors into more of the model than just the base for easier recognition. But yeah, that's a sound concept.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3676 on: March 11, 2010, 01:02:22 am »

It's more a piece of art that you just happen to be able to play chess with than an actual chess board.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3677 on: March 11, 2010, 01:54:42 am »

Fun fact: the Bishop piece in Chess was altered awhile back by the Christian (i think, might have been Catholic, or someone else) Church. Ever wondered why the Bishop moves diagonally and how that makes absolutely no sense? Well as it turns out, the piece used to be a 'Ship', and the Ships moved diagonally because Ships have to tack into the wind.

Always used to bug me (why do priests move diagonally!) until i found that out.

I once read a book about the history of chess, and the piece next to the king and queen with diagonal movement was usually a vizier/minister or an elephant. If you look at Chinese Chess you'll see this: one side has diagonal moving elephants, the other ministers. The arabic versions of the game also had that feature. Wikipedia bears me out as well, if you investigate their secondary sources.

Although the idea of ships sounds cool, usually the ship was the replacement for the rook/chariot.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3678 on: March 11, 2010, 02:13:30 am »

Fun fact: the Bishop piece in Chess was altered awhile back by the Christian (i think, might have been Catholic, or someone else) Church. Ever wondered why the Bishop moves diagonally and how that makes absolutely no sense? Well as it turns out, the piece used to be a 'Ship', and the Ships moved diagonally because Ships have to tack into the wind.

Always used to bug me (why do priests move diagonally!) until i found that out.

I once read a book about the history of chess, and the piece next to the king and queen with diagonal movement was usually a vizier/minister or an elephant. If you look at Chinese Chess you'll see this: one side has diagonal moving elephants, the other ministers. The arabic versions of the game also had that feature. Wikipedia bears me out as well, if you investigate their secondary sources.

Although the idea of ships sounds cool, usually the ship was the replacement for the rook/chariot.

Interesting, Wikipedia only seems to follow Chess's history back to around the first century AD though, and iirc the stuff about ships was from an earlier period.

Ovbiously i could be wrong, but even if i am i don't really care, because having the Bishops be Ships makes sense.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #3679 on: March 11, 2010, 02:35:36 am »

I think the queen was what replaced the vizier. The (probably incorrect) story behind this is that in arabic countries, the vizier was the person closest to the king in a political context. When the first europeans brought the game with them, and couldn't remember what the piece next to the king was supposed to be, so they named it after the person that always sat/stood next to the king: the queen. Which is also the reason why, in a men's medieval world, the only really powerfull woman was the one on the chessboard.

And yeah, we're derailing, so when I get home, I'll post a knight I made while tutorialling 3DS Max.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3680 on: March 11, 2010, 07:27:48 pm »

Spoiler: Teaser! (click to show/hide)

Anyway, it's coming along quite nicely!

The dwarves wander around randomly within their squares.
Next, to implement drag-and-drop. Then combat and blood splatter.

Originally I was going to do a tile-based thing like in DF, but
I decided it would be WAY cooler to do pixel-by-pixel randomized splatter.
I'm going to implement smears when dwarves walk (or are thrown) through splatters.

Also, pawns will be drafted when they fight, and will be able to level up to weapon-users and even weapon-lords.
Knights will be able to level up as well. And units will pick up weapons that other units drop, changing their title.
None of this will have any effect on the mechanics of the game, just on the mechanics of the combat stuff.
Axes and swords lead to more blood and parts. Crossbows will fire before they move. Hammers throw stuff.

It's gonna be awesome.

I've got some projects to do tomorrow, though, so it might be a while before I can show it off.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3681 on: March 11, 2010, 08:12:14 pm »

On another note: The bishop in chess was originally a ship iirc.

Ironhand my fellow lama are you using the current damage model of df or the new which will be in df2010
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 08:14:10 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3682 on: March 11, 2010, 08:16:50 pm »

That looks... epic.

What if you made it so that you can choose different races, like kobolds, humans and elves and stuff?
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3683 on: March 11, 2010, 08:29:54 pm »

Yeah, I'm totally planning to add different chess sets eventually.
That's a big project though, and I want to get it working like AT ALL first.
I usually don't finish projects, so I will need you guys urging me on if I'm even gonna get that far.

I wasn't really planning on using a damage model. I was just going to fiddle with numbers until the
soundness of the whoopings and the volume of the bloody messes were to my liking. Something like
silver = 0, copper = 1, bronze = 2, iron = 3, steel = 4, and quality works pretty much the same way.

If you want me to use a damage model, I'll definitely consider it. Give me the math, and I'll work it in.

Anyway, now I've got it printing out the units' names and professions when you click on them! Fun stuff!

EDIT: I should probably be working on my project for tomorrow, but this is way more fun.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3684 on: March 11, 2010, 09:17:36 pm »

Woop woop~

Drag and drop!
With snapping boundaries!

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3685 on: March 11, 2010, 09:21:56 pm »

Woop woop~

Drag and drop!
With snapping boundaries!

I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3686 on: March 11, 2010, 09:49:23 pm »

On another note: The bishop in chess was originally a ship iirc.

Did this just come up again??? After I conclusively disproved this as scurrilous rumor?

Also, the in-progress chessboard looks spiffy.

...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3687 on: March 12, 2010, 10:54:29 am »

Woah! That looks absolutely epic!  :o

Sugestion: Have crosbows atempt to shot nerby suares, but always miss.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3688 on: March 12, 2010, 11:51:45 am »

So, Having a drawn a dwarf (or at least, a bearded guy who was supposed to be a dwarf when I started) I figured I should probably share.

He who lives above the surface.
He who fears no carp.
The Legendary Swimmer.
The Savage Dwarf.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3689 on: March 12, 2010, 11:56:20 am »

Nice, looks like a pretty good rendition of a Neolithic hunter-gatherer dwarf.
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 561