Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 538 539 [540] 541 542 ... 561

Author Topic: Fan art competition! *Moving sound*  (Read 1460522 times)

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fan art competition! *Moving sound*
« Reply #8085 on: May 11, 2014, 12:25:36 pm »

I love it omg. Tis' beautiful.
The elf is a bit too wide and armoured for my taste though. I always imagined elves as skinny and tall, you know?
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8086 on: May 11, 2014, 12:27:32 pm »

Most of it is padding. Also, in DF elves are as short as dwarfs are.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8087 on: May 11, 2014, 12:52:01 pm »

Nah, they have the same volume, but if the old raws are to be believed they are narrow rather than short. Same goes for goblins.

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8088 on: May 11, 2014, 12:59:16 pm »

Nah, they have the same volume, but if the old raws are to be believed they are narrow rather than short. Same goes for goblins.

Maybe, maybe not. The armour is all interchangeable between them - including helmets, gauntlets and boots. This leads me to conclude that they are short like dwarfs.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 01:02:57 pm by k33n »

Lorgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8089 on: May 11, 2014, 04:26:48 pm »

Love a lot of the stuff here, so I thought I'd have a go. My first attempt, on paint of all things. I've made it a smaller resolution because I had somehow made it ginormous.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #8090 on: May 11, 2014, 04:32:32 pm »

Cool spore tree.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8091 on: May 11, 2014, 05:35:31 pm »

The tunnel tubes are also very interesting.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8092 on: May 11, 2014, 11:29:25 pm »

Maybe, maybe not. The armour is all interchangeable between them - including helmets, gauntlets and boots. This leads me to conclude that they are short like dwarfs.

That is the case now.  Used to be that goblins had gear tagged as small, like human gear is tagged large.  I think elves also wore small tagged gear.  Can't remember for sure offhand.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #8093 on: May 11, 2014, 11:39:59 pm »

All these recent pics. Awesome! :D

Also, forum tip for y'all: To small-ify the image without reducing the resolution...
Code: [Select]
[img height=x width=y][/img]Wherein x and y are numerical values for the # of pixels in that dimension. :)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8094 on: May 11, 2014, 11:50:49 pm »

Only since the raws were reworked. Used to be you butchered some elves and you'd wind up with a bunch of useless narrow gear. THe new raws don't capture that subtlety, I guess.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8095 on: May 12, 2014, 12:03:27 am »

All these recent pics. Awesome! :D

Also, forum tip for y'all: To small-ify the image without reducing the resolution...
Code: [Select]
[img height=x width=y][/img]Wherein x and y are numerical values for the # of pixels in that dimension. :)
Note that only one of the two is needed for a proper resize.

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8096 on: May 12, 2014, 12:51:16 am »

Only since the raws were reworked. Used to be you butchered some elves and you'd wind up with a bunch of useless narrow gear. THe new raws don't capture that subtlety, I guess.

Or toady simply changed his mind.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8097 on: May 12, 2014, 01:07:11 am »

The raws are pretty crystal clear about the relative body shapes of elves, dwarves, goblins, and humans.

Namely, all of them have EXACTLY the same proportions, because all of them use the exact same HUMANOID_RELSIZES relative body part sizes. They are simply differently scaled version of the exact same body type on average.

Which is not really internally consistent with the armor types, because the game allows some dwarves to actually be LARGER than humans.  Humans, on average are, 15% bigger or so. Yet individual humans can be as small as 75% as tall as normal, and dwarves can be as big as 125% as large as their normal... and... 1.25x60,000 >>> 0.75*70,000.

So... somehow, despite being the exact same body shape, and large dwarves being much larger than small humans, the small human can still only wear large armor, and the large dwarf can only wear small armor.  In other words, it pretty much objectively makes absolutely no sense at the moment.

Trying to interpret it in a meaningful way for artwork is a losing battle. Just do whatever feels reasonable.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8098 on: May 12, 2014, 01:34:21 am »

By the way, I made up the following image, according to precise measurements of relative body part sizes from the RAWs. The number of pixels is exactly right assuming body size is area seen from the front (as would be used for combat striking, for instance).

Note that nothing guarantees that the aspect ratio of any given body part need be as I drew them here. So they could actually have slightly different body types. But you can't deviate by all that much without getting physically unrealistic spindly arms, etc. and while maintaining body mass equality and any sort of realistic sharing of armor. Not nearly as much as you would want to when drawing what you might expect elves vs. dwarves to look like for instance.

It is pretty much locked in here that goblins and elves are merely dwarves without beards and differently colored skin / maybe some pointy ears / maybe 10% different proportions here and there, that's about it.

I guess you could potentially claim that humans have a dramatically different aspect ratio despite nearly equal area, but that is difficult to reconcile with ANY historical conception of these races (elves goblins and dwarves all being one body type and humans being another? No...). And regardless, "large" would not be the appropriate adjective for the armor. Perhaps "broad" or "narrow" or whatever armor, but not "large"
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 01:38:28 am by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

seaturtlehorsesnake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8099 on: May 13, 2014, 03:43:24 am »

i like to start my forts on glaciers sometimes, so i made a small drawing of a glacier embark, i guess

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

it is silly.
Pages: 1 ... 538 539 [540] 541 542 ... 561