Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 486 487 [488] 489 490 ... 561

Author Topic: Fan art competition! *Moving sound*  (Read 1461356 times)

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
Re: Fan art competition! *Moving sound*
« Reply #7305 on: January 29, 2012, 04:54:54 am »

Maybe we can get Armok to make a ruling or do a pole to decide if we should critique here.  Knowing what to expect from eachother help keep the intentions of the posters clear.  If someone was bothered and said something, then there are likely more people that were bothered, but said nothing.
Personally, I would prefer to see it kept in the Engraver's guild. In my ever so humble opinion, this should be a thread for people to post for fun, without fear of comment. ( unless criticism is requested, of course)

I just worry, slightly, that people who would want to post a picture, may be slightly more reticent when they see criticism being levelled (and I appreciate that all the criticism is by and large very constructive, but sometimes people just want be told how cool their stuff is ...)

Tofu, I love it !

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7306 on: January 29, 2012, 05:39:28 am »

Yeah, Tofu, don't supposed you have a higher res version of that, do you? I instantly set it as a desktop background. I just bought a TV to use as my laptop's monitor, it needs 1920x1080 files now.

I actually hate an environment where people will compliment something whatever it is. People should be free to say when something's shit when they don't like it. At the other end of the scale, constructive criticism angers me because whereas there may be a skill to art, the skill lies in your ability to express yourself, not to express what other people want. I get annoyed by criticism because the person giving the critique gives the impression that they are more skilled. The problem is that clearly Fault is very skilled indeed, which tells me that, whether or not the person providing the critique is skilled, Fault is already aware of what mistakes he's made when he's created something. I know I am when I create something.

Look, none of this is a problem for anyone else. These are my feelings. I think it wouldn't annoy me if people criticised in this thread by saying something like, "I like it, but I'd like it more if..." rather than just listing flaws; not that someone elses work necessarily has flaws, because it may have been deliberate on the part of the creator, or maybe they couldn't put the effort in.

I mean, look at . . . . . . . . .'s work. It's impossible to criticise that because it's so wierd and abstracted. You accept it, because you assume the intent of the artist was well executed. Merely because Fault's work, for instance, isn't wierd and abstracted, doesn't mean it doesn't deserve acceptance. Before you criticise, it's important to at least say whether you like it overall.

I'm 100% certain that . . . . . . . . . is autistic. It's not a bad thing, but I simply cannot imagine his art coming from anyone who doesn't have an autistic spectrum disorder.

Besides, I always imagine that DF is like cracks for autists. The fact that I love it makes me wonder sometimes if I'm an Aspie.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #7307 on: January 29, 2012, 06:20:30 am »

Moaning on art? Constructive Criticism is better, viewed most of the thread already and I've to say, many are well made. Yes, a few errors in detail and lighting, but they grow.

9dots is not autistic  :)

Loving all art submitted, in whatever form.

Ferozstein

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes magma and dwarves for their macabre ways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7308 on: January 29, 2012, 07:27:34 am »

At the other end of the scale, constructive criticism angers me because whereas there may be a skill to art, the skill lies in your ability to express yourself, not to express what other people want.

Actually, it doesn't work that way. Or rather, most of the time it doesn't. Personal expression is one thing, but the laws of composition and proportions are more or less universal (unless you explicitly and deliberately decide to break them). Also, even very skilled illustrators often miss some fault in their work, and that's exactly where constructive criticism is for and where it comes in.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7309 on: January 29, 2012, 10:06:57 am »

In my opinion, if we compare a drawing thread, where constructive criticism is applied to everyone and a drawing thread, where constructive criticism is applied very rarely (or not applied at all), we can see a significant difference. Threads without criticism attract a lot of people, but serious art critics (like lordnincompoop, for example) would probably cry bloody tears at the overall quality of art in these threads (a good example of a such thread is "Draw your adventures" from the DF Adventure Mode Discussion forum). On the other hand, the art in a thread with applied criticism is much better in terms of overall quality, but most people will not post there, because once they see the (seemingly) good art being torn to shreds, they will think: "My art is too bad" or "I don't have talent" and leave. And if they try to post something there, the criticism will deter them away, and they will never return.

What will happen, if this thread transforms into a separate unofficial branch of the Engravers Guild? The criticism will deter everyone except serious artists from posting anything, and the overall art quality will improve. However, the amount of serious artists on Bay 12 has declined over the years (and, there weren't many of them in the first place), so if we start critiquing everyone and everything here, we will probably kill the thread.

Maybe it would be better, if critiques would be given only to people who specifically ask for it.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Ferozstein

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes magma and dwarves for their macabre ways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7310 on: January 29, 2012, 11:31:26 am »

I haven't seen any critiques of stick figure comics and the like. There is really no point. Crits are given out for the artists who, judging by quality of their images, aspire to be... professionals is perhaps a bit far-fetched word, but they're already somewhat decent at what they do, and are trying to improve. It's them who benefit from critiques the most, and frankly, I see constructive criticism as a compliment all in itself - it means someone thought I've drawn something worth it and goes out of their way to help me see the areas for improvement.

Regarding the Engraver's Guild, this is the first time I've heard of that thread. I looked through last 15 pages of this forum, and couldn't find it. Would it really be better to necro that old thread just for posting crits than critiquing art here on the spot?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7311 on: January 29, 2012, 11:34:28 am »

Necro? What?

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7312 on: January 29, 2012, 11:46:22 am »

Welp, I've lost my sketch. Great.

I still feel like I owe you guys something for my endless promises, though, so here's a crappy photo of some stylised dwarves dating back a few several months. I know it's a shitty substitute, but it'll do until I can whip up a new one.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Quote from: everyone
Bluh bluh constructive criticism

whoa. whoa guys, chill.

alright, i'll stop - now let's get this thread back on topic, yes?

serious art critics (like lordnincompoop, for example)

hahahah
Nah, not very. I've never been particularly serious about what I say. If I've offended anyone, I sincerely apologise.

Also, there's only been a handful of times I've been upset at art, none of which were because of quality. I like the Draw Your Adventures thread, so back off. :p

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #7313 on: January 29, 2012, 06:25:44 pm »

Tofu: thats amazing! Love the lighting and the atmospheric effects!

Everyone arguing: I don't care WHAT you're saying; you're saying to much of it! Less words and more images!
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7314 on: January 29, 2012, 09:56:29 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

GHNNNNGGGRGGNGNNGNGN

Tofu you've done it again, that's amazing. I especially like the limning around the central figures!

it's just that in a few places (tree, neighbouring leaves, bottom right shrub, bottom of picture) it looks like it's been left unfinished instead of being intended that way

that reminds me, last couple panels I posted had most of the image very very sharp and without the painterly brushstrokes. I got complaints advising that the entire image should not be at the same level of focus, because it makes it hard for the viewer to know what to pay attention to, and messes with perspective.

so now, in this, I used a softer, blurrier aesthetic for the background and bottom figures, to bring out the figure with a speaking role (the topmost dwarf has a speech bubble in the final panel) and.. now people are saying the whole picture should be at the same level of focus and detail?

eh well. I guess I haven't found the right balance between these two elements yet!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • not for trees
« Reply #7315 on: January 30, 2012, 10:32:03 pm »

I'm not autistic.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7316 on: January 30, 2012, 10:41:47 pm »

I'm not autistic.
Glad that's cleared up.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7317 on: January 31, 2012, 04:17:41 am »

Diagnosing mental illnesses by someone's art is generally frowned upon. ......... just makes cool stuff, that is different.

Tofu, that lighting. It's very nice.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7318 on: January 31, 2012, 08:57:59 pm »

The introduction of (often very subtle) motion into pixel-precise art, the exquisite blending of ordered dither, the contrast between stark geometry, accurate detail and broadly abstracted anatomical features; . . . . . . . . .'s work is like diving headlong into a seething whirlpool of madness and then inhaling a deeper, more fundemental order beneath the surface that defies all expectation.

Autism is one explanation. Genius is another.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7319 on: February 01, 2012, 08:53:04 pm »

The introduction of (often very subtle) motion into pixel-precise art, the exquisite blending of ordered dither, the contrast between stark geometry, accurate detail and broadly abstracted anatomical features; . . . . . . . . .'s work is like diving headlong into a seething whirlpool of madness and then inhaling a deeper, more fundemental order beneath the surface that defies all expectation.

Autism is one explanation. Genius is another.
The difference is that Geniuses find it harder to interact with people. :P
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: 1 ... 486 487 [488] 489 490 ... 561