Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 485 486 [487] 488 489 ... 561

Author Topic: Fan art competition! *Moving sound*  (Read 1461355 times)

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fan art competition! *Moving sound*
« Reply #7290 on: January 28, 2012, 04:45:14 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:39:28 am by Ogdibus »

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7291 on: January 28, 2012, 06:43:47 pm »

I usually touch up panels and reduce them to 50% original size when I compile pages. I'll take that into account.

just I've been strapped for drawing time as of late.. tacking the rightmost dwarf onto the edge of the image isn't doing him any favours composition-wise either.

I mean rough as in "the brushstrokes are visible even when they shouldn't be and it's distracting". That should be fixed in the original, IMO.

If you're serious about the composition, I'd say the entire image is rather cramped. But since it'll just be a panel, it probably won't be worth the effort.

- he looks like he's floating or tacked-on.

.O.  Your right, I get a pretty good sense of volume unitl I look at that guy's foot.  Maybe he just needs a shadow.  It seems to work for the one next to him.   Adding a little bit of reflected green light from the ground might help, too.

He does have a shadow, which is entirely behind him. Inconsistent considering the lighting of other characters.

What he doesn't have is a foot.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7292 on: January 28, 2012, 07:29:47 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:39:44 am by Ogdibus »

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7293 on: January 28, 2012, 07:45:00 pm »

Oh, moan bloody moan you two.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7294 on: January 28, 2012, 08:02:47 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:39:57 am by Ogdibus »

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7295 on: January 28, 2012, 08:58:34 pm »

yeah I was worried about that foot... of all the many perspective inconsistencies it's the most glaring.

I don't even remember if the part extending from his silhouette was supposed to be like his leg with a foot at the bottom, or if it's the top of his foot viewed from above, neither of which make sense with his angle.

drawing characters mid-stride is something I need more practice with. thanks for the advice.

Tofu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7296 on: January 28, 2012, 10:47:33 pm »

Why are you guys moaning over Fault's painting? It's perfectly fine; every painting has
 mistakes(just look at the stuff I post, oh boy). And being painterly is not in any way
a sin. Can't you just enjoy all the art that's being posted here, or am I just being an
idiot right now?

I did something Dwarf Fortress related again. Reason being that the thing I anticipate
 the most is the inclusion of Inns, since I'm more interested in the social interactions
that are possible in the game. It'll be cool to see dwarves holding grudges over the
outcome of cardgames, and drinking together, singing or whatever. Maybe most of it
will have to be imaginary. Anyways, hope you like it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7297 on: January 28, 2012, 10:52:18 pm »

Oh... Oh my gosh... That is just plain awesome, Tofu! Seriously, I read through half your post, then clicked that spoiler tag, and my jaw just dropped. I didn't think that even happened in real life, but it did! :D It's just a shame it's the wrong size for my desktop. Great job!

As for the other discussion of Fault's high-quality art, I don't see why in-depth critiquing is going on here rather than the Engraver's Guild thread, where people post to request such feedback... Of course, if Fault's cool with it it's not really a problem, I guess.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7298 on: January 28, 2012, 11:14:08 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:40:16 am by Ogdibus »

Tofu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7299 on: January 28, 2012, 11:24:37 pm »

Why are you guys moaning over Fault's painting?

Do I really need to answer that twice on the same page, within three posts?
Not quite what I meant. Sorry for that, I haven't slept in way too long. I should perhaps
have explained further; I didn't misunderstand what you said there, that you wanted to
give critique and whatnot. Great, critique is good. It's just that it seems less like critique,
and more like you're tearing Fault a new asshole. And by "you", I don't mean you,
Ogdibus, I mean the ..ugh, just, it's been about an entire page only about that one panel
that he made. Also: see the post right below mine, kind of what I think too.

I don't want to seem rude or anything, it's not my intention. It just seemed kind of weird to me.
Anyways, sorry for the misunderstanding, again, I'm tired.

Oh... Oh my gosh... That is just plain awesome, Tofu! Seriously, I read through half your post, then clicked that spoiler tag, and my jaw just dropped. I didn't think that even happened in real life, but it did! :D It's just a shame it's the wrong size for my desktop. Great job!
Hehe, glad you like it. Always nice to hear compliments. What size is your desktop? It could easily be fixed to fit any kind of resolution, probably, with a little cropping.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7300 on: January 28, 2012, 11:43:53 pm »

I think the critique aspect is a bleed-over from the Engraver's Guild thread. There people are supposed to be giving constructive criticism on everything that is posted. 

Since that's not the intent of this thread...it can seem a little harsh.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7301 on: January 29, 2012, 12:16:41 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:40:33 am by Ogdibus »

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7302 on: January 29, 2012, 02:00:15 am »

I'm going to try to finish that sketch I have so I have some content in my next post.

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to look painted.  As for the foot, it's there.  The angle isn't right.  It's doing a sort of fish-eye lens thing, while the rest of the picture isn't.  That's why it looks like a peg leg.  It would be more obvious if they had buckles or laces on thier boots.

Oh, a painterly look is fine, it's just that in a few places (tree, neighbouring leaves, bottom right shrub, bottom of picture) it looks like it's been left unfinished instead of being intended that way.

Why are you guys moaning over Fault's painting? It's perfectly fine; every painting has
 mistakes(just look at the stuff I post, oh boy). And being painterly is not in any way
a sin. Can't you just enjoy all the art that's being posted here, or am I just being an
idiot right now?

It's just my attempt at critique.

It can seem harsh, but I don't make it any more so than necessary - part of the reason it can seem that way is that I don't add many complements, because I figure the artist will get enough of those already and that he'll feel secure enough about his work. If you think it's too harsh anyways, I'll make sure to try to quieten down in the future.

Oh, moan bloody moan you two.

Ouch. My heart, it bleeds.

I did something Dwarf Fortress related again. Reason being that the thing I anticipate
 the most is the inclusion of Inns, since I'm more interested in the social interactions
that are possible in the game. It'll be cool to see dwarves holding grudges over the
outcome of cardgames, and drinking together, singing or whatever. Maybe most of it

The picture is nice. It's got that warm inn-look.

I'm a little curious how the leftmost dwarf in-focus is holding on to that dagger, honestly.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7303 on: January 29, 2012, 02:31:35 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:40:44 am by Ogdibus »

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7304 on: January 29, 2012, 02:32:22 am »

idiot right now?

Urist, upon seeing yet another pair of urists from Urist, reaches for his urist.
Pages: 1 ... 485 486 [487] 488 489 ... 561