Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 561

Author Topic: Fan art competition! *Moving sound*  (Read 1457238 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Fan art competition!
« Reply #3405 on: February 17, 2010, 11:30:45 pm »

So you're trying to tell me that the Dwarf Fortress Adamantine isn't a metal?

Yes, it's scientifically correct to use -ium for metals and -ine for non-metals. Outside of scientific instutitions and away from people with their heads up their own asses, people use whatever name sounds good. Amusingly, Adamant works with both the -ine and -ium suffix, which is pretty rare, usually one of the suffixses sounds silly. There's the -ite suffix as well, which sometimes works really well and sometimes sounds incredibly stupid, but i believe the -ite suffix is usually used for ores\rocks.

Nothing surprising about Adamantane, Adamant has historically been linked with Diamond, as Diamonds are really, really hard.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3406 on: February 17, 2010, 11:32:13 pm »

Who cares if it's adamantane or adamantoid or adamantoxide or adamanterium or adamantosphere.

Just don't worry about it, and just have fun, this is one point I'm adamantly adamant about.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3407 on: February 17, 2010, 11:33:55 pm »

Herf derf.

The point i'm trying to make to Fault is that the English language is a horrible mess that breaks it's own rules more often than it actually adheres to those rules, so stating language rules is fine and dandy when you're dealing with scientists, but is incredibly anal when you're dealing with anyone else.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3408 on: February 17, 2010, 11:34:46 pm »

adamantosphere

this might be the reason dwarves haven't invented space travel yet

WHAT CRAFT COULD POSSIBLY BREACH THE ADAMANTOSPHERE?!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3409 on: February 17, 2010, 11:37:32 pm »

adamantosphere

this might be the reason dwarves haven't invented space travel yet

WHAT CRAFT COULD POSSIBLY BREACH THE ADAMANTOSPHERE?!

Isn't it ovbious?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3410 on: February 17, 2010, 11:46:49 pm »

I was waiting for that.  :)

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3411 on: February 17, 2010, 11:55:54 pm »

Here, have some fanart. Originally it was the blinded mother elephant from Boatmurdered but then it looked horrible so now it's a quadrelephantaloupe (a rarely-seen semi-megabeast)

quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3412 on: February 18, 2010, 12:03:50 am »

AWW GAWD WHAT THE HELL WHAT THE HELL

also you forgot to colour one of the tusks.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3413 on: February 18, 2010, 12:12:22 am »

Yeah... That. That'd be laziness :~( I'll do better this time, it's ok...

...DAMMIT

Nah, as you might imagine that happened when I rotated the image around and pasted it to itself in MSpaint (masked colors turned on) but I can promise the original wasn't much better looking ;)

quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3414 on: February 18, 2010, 12:29:46 am »

YO, MITTENS
would you mind if I wrote a short story on the forming of the space colossus king cacame?
I mean, Cacame is like, your intellectual property or whatever, so if you don't want me to, that's fine.

Feel free. Cacame is as much the community's as he is mine. So write away with your head free of care.

Unless I start making money off him, in which case PREPARE FOR A MASSIVE LAWSUIT!!!1!

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3415 on: February 18, 2010, 12:46:13 am »

...I think this thread might actually be starting to overdose on awesome.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3416 on: February 18, 2010, 01:17:49 am »

WELL IN THAT CASE

Cacame Awemedinade sat in his throne room one bleak and stormy morning, Pondering his current affairs. The sound of thunder disquised the distant rumbling of an earthquake. Cacame's contemplation was interrupted by the sudden intrusion of the fortress Baroness, who appeared frantic and nervous.

"What brings to my chambers so early, baroness?"

"there's something outside..." she gasped. "something you'll probably want to see."

"very well." He said, rising from the throne with his hammer at his side.

The baroness led cacame to a watchtower, where he looked up at the dreary grey sky before him. In an instant the dulldrum was shattered by a massive object streaking across the heavens. The sky was lit up by an enormous stone ship, glittering with jewels and glowing with magma. The vessel was so great, it must have had been carved from an entire mountain. It flew overhead like a comet, leaving a trail of steam and smoke.

The very sight of it sent the Baroness into panic, but did nothing to Cacame's stoic composure. However, what followed instantly sent cacame into a smoldering fury. Another ship was making its way through the skies. It was a burning hunk of serrated metal, swarming with demons and spirits of fire. Cacame began his way down the watch tower, his eyes wild with rage.

The great king made his way through the courtyard to the foot of his great colossus. Slinging his hammer to his belt, he began ascending the colossus with only his bare hands. Dwarves gathered around, staring in awe. Some fled the scene in terror, for they could not imagine what Cacame was planning. Once the King reached the top, he brought his hammer down on the forehead of the colossus, smashing through its marble face and revealing the glowing magma inside.

Cacame climbed into the statue, and the magma began boiling from his presence. The eyes of the colossus burned brighter than ever, and, with a terrifying rumble, the statue lurched to life. The marble face cracked as it's mouth tore open, letting out a roaring warcry and spewing gouts of magma and smoke. The statue expelled a massive torrent of magma, which it's hands began to shape into an obsidian hammer. The colossus' feet ripped themselves from the earth, and it began to stride away from the fortress.

The Colossus marched for many miles, it's golden cape dragging behind it and flattening the landscape. Eventually it reached a vantage point - a massive mountain peak - where it could see the two ships so high in the sky. It appeared that they had both taken humanoid form - one a mountainous avatar of dwarven strength and fortitude, the other a grim skeleton burning with hatred. The colossus' size may have been great, but these powerful titans towered over mountains.

The colossus raised its obsidian hammer and stuck the mountaintop, splitting it down the middle. A crack formed, leading all the way down into the bowels of the earth. The colossus cast itself into the crack, and the very roots of the mountain began to shudder. The rage of cacame, conducted through the colossus, channelled all the magma beneath the earth into one massive volcano.  It became a smoking cauldron of magma as wide as an ocean - and from this burning void rose a shape so large it was as if a continent was tearing itself from the ground.

It was the dreadnought. The living mountain, an embodiment of Cacame's Endless Anger, his Infinite Rage. Its black body so tall it blocked out the sun, its burning eyes so bright that they blinded all who gazed upon them. Weilding a hammer so huge that it touched both the heavens and the earth, The Divine Colossus King Cacame Leapt into the sky to face its adversaries.

"THEY DARE EXCLUDE ME FROM THEIR QUARREL?"

"ME, CACAME AWEMEDINADE, THE IMMORTAL ONSLAUGHT?"

"JUST WHO THE HELL DO THEY THINK I AM?!"
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 01:19:28 am by Fault »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3417 on: February 18, 2010, 01:33:17 am »

Excuse me my arrogance, but am I the only one who noticed that Fault has managed to totally derail the thread with everyone ignoring it and following the troll?

;D
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3418 on: February 18, 2010, 01:34:58 am »

I like that his entire qualm with the two is that he was left out.

You also gotta enjoy the fact that he had the foreight to engineer the statue of himself into a hidden robot, and then somehow using a volcano to turn that into an even bigger robot.

Excuse me my arrogance, but am I the only one who noticed that Fault has managed to totally derail the thread without anyone noting it and following the troll?

;D

Hardly, while Fault drew the original image, I contributed the story that began the spiral into the TTGL theme.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3419 on: February 18, 2010, 01:40:57 am »

You also gotta enjoy the fact that he had the foreight to engineer the statue of himself into a hidden robot, and then somehow using a volcano to turn that into an even bigger robot.

I think Cacame can just control magma by BEING ANGRY. He became one with the magma and was able to move the colossus (Mittens filled the colossus with magma, right?) by moving the magma within it. note how I mentioned that the colossus was constantly breaking whenever he tried to move it? it was a fragile shell for the true form of cacame. Which would have to be made of obsidian.

Excuse me my arrogance, but am I the only one who noticed that Fault has managed to totally derail the thread with everyone ignoring it and following the troll?

You have made me feel both very influential and very trollish. it's a confusing feeling.

I contributed the story that began the spiral into the TTGL theme.

I see what you did there
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 01:43:26 am by Fault »
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 561