Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 561

Author Topic: Fan art competition! *Moving sound*  (Read 1459359 times)

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fan art competition!
« Reply #2250 on: November 20, 2009, 12:24:22 am »

Standard, Dwarrow, Demiurg and dweomer.

actually the words I used were standard, dwarrow, Duergar and Demiurg

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: November 20, 2009, 12:31:15 am »

Mountain Dorf. Dwarrow, Deurgar, Demiurg. in that order.

Thats good artwork, man, in any case.

I like to think of the Dwarrow wearing Huckleberry Finn type overalls, no hat, or a straw hat, no highfalutin cloak and gnawing on a length of Longland Grass with some menacing pick-axe or axe slung over the shoulder.

The Demiurg dorf looks perfect. I almost want to re-draw him wearing an ancient and eleborate breastplate on top of his mundane clothes with that same "Hey hows life, friend?" expression.

I have this idea that the Demiurg in their isolated nowhere should like to wear a foriegn item or something very out of place with their clothing. Like Osama Bin Laden with his US Army cammo jacket, or a hobo with a 900$ wristwatch, something to suggest something mysterious about their origins or background.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 01:56:08 am by HAMMERMILL »

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: November 20, 2009, 06:50:30 am »

Svart: Name makes me think of those Gaul, Celt or Germanic tribes from back in the day. Stark-naked and painted blue from head to toe screaming like mad-men weilding a two-handed sword. At a bit of a loss thinking up of multiple types of elves that are distinct enough to not just be lumped into one of the above.
A bit belated, but:

"Svartalv" (Or Svartalf) is swedish (danish/norwegian too i think, though spelling varies there) for Dark Elf.

Svart: Black
Alv/Alf: Elf
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: November 20, 2009, 12:36:44 pm »

Yea, Svartalfar was used for the 'dark elves' in that mythic mod (not the name, the theme) from Civ 4, I forget the name atm, but I saw a thread for it on these forums. Forget what the name of the other elven group was. The elves were divided into two factions, the summer court (bieng the light elves, or wood elves) and the winter court (bieng the dark elves, they weren't drow, just more of the sneaky backstabby type of elf).

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: November 20, 2009, 05:30:50 pm »

I don't know why people are trying to sort every race into different civ 'types'.

If that kind of thing ever happens in DF it should happen in worldgen, not be arbitrarily set at the beginning.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: November 20, 2009, 06:10:24 pm »

Inspiration for artwork, man.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: November 20, 2009, 06:41:27 pm »

Yea, Svartalfar was used for the 'dark elves' in that mythic mod (not the name, the theme) from Civ 4, I forget the name atm, but I saw a thread for it on these forums. Forget what the name of the other elven group was. The elves were divided into two factions, the summer court (bieng the light elves, or wood elves) and the winter court (bieng the dark elves, they weren't drow, just more of the sneaky backstabby type of elf).
Svartalfar and Ljosalfar. And the mod is Fall From Heaven 2, I've started a thread on it so it could be mine.
Man I love this mod (and playing RP multiplayer games in it).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: November 20, 2009, 11:25:55 pm »

Just to touch back on Skin appearance with the goblins (and more generally).

Our closest example being Human skin. It has very interesting properties, it is semi translucent, a sort of waxy light-spread mechanism. The blood acts as a backlayer of red, the front a sort of tint of white. One of the most important mechanics is how it looks at different angles and the cue of the varying densities. Pigments can make a significant difference too. Even down to the diets, famous saying "We are what we eat", it reflects back onto how healthy our skin is, although interestingly enough there are others things as well, other creatures might attempt to 'fake it' to cope with deficiencies to have better survival/mating opportunities.

What I am trying to say is that skin isn't just a simple solid colour laid over the flesh and bone. There can be just so many mechanics and properties involved. Also we can introduce even unique effects not seen before in nature. Carpaints. Carpaints are interesting, flakes suspended inside a translucent surface ontop of a solid layer, to give amazing effects. Look at a surface straight on, it is dark red. Look towards the edge, it becomes a bright blue, an amazing and contradicting experience. You can even have flakes that glitter at specific angles of incidence.

It is far from being limited to skin btw. I think it would be.. very cool if the goblins had patterns, spots and marks to reflect on personalities, behaviours and such. The spots might accumulate near joints and such. Oh and hair/fur too are interesting, in RL, dogs will naturally go for natural oils, such as from fish, it makes their coats shiny (this might be similiar to carpaint flakes because oils might only grow on the hairs for a short period (Say a short period of successful predation), the shiny bits in the hairs might be only visible at certain angles due to coverage of other hairs). In DF we could reflect this back on predators, a named beast could have a shiny coating and marks to reflect on its' kills.

Biomes, having a tendency to affect creatures over long periods, especially with Spheres. An arid desert could have more effects than just culturally, but also physically in appearance. For example an Oasis lake being the only source of water is tainted with certain natural blue minerals and magical red elements. Creatures drinking from the Oasis might slowly and only slightly turn with a hint of midnight blue with dark red flakes in sunlight, but at night with a glowing cue of vicious red along the edge of the creatures.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 11:47:38 pm by Nexii Malthus »

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: November 21, 2009, 02:54:16 am »

Well, I've never been a very active fan-artist for any subject at all, but plenty of time fooling around with my dorfs has made me want to give drawing them a go.  I'm not particularly good at drawing people, so the proportions are... not good... but it's something. 

I would have liked to color it, but given that I'm only on the level of a scribbler when it comes to artistic endeavors of the visual sort, I haven't really found any coloring style or method that goes very well with my messy lines.  It doesn't help that I did this in an ancient version of OpenCanvas that has an interesting issue where every layer is transparent to the point that you can't layer colors over each other, so there is no way to do background coloring except for carefully staying inside every line and erasing constantly. 

Next one I'll be trying out GIMPshop (never got along with GIMP, but maybe the more conventional layout will be enough to make it tolerable), so hopefully color next time.

As for the dwarf, dunno.  I like to imagine that all the dwarves in my fortress have absurdly long ponytails for no particularly defined reason.  Not that you can really tell what that scribble behind him is.  Also whenever something is studded with bone I can't help but imagine them putting teeth all over it.  Including on mugs, in places where they may injure the user. 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 03:01:09 am by Wirevix »
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: November 21, 2009, 03:01:54 am »

put [spoilerX] before (remove the x or replace with =text)
Spoiler: Text (click to show/hide)

And [/spoiler] after or hit the button that looks like yellow and black triangles in a circle above the smilieys

Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: November 21, 2009, 03:13:39 am »

oh that's a nice style

kinda like mine except less stylized and more loose and scriibbly.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: November 21, 2009, 09:23:01 am »

I always wanted to ask: Fault, your images have a great amount of detail and have a deep character, why do you use such "dirty" lines and dots here and there, it's kinda pixelated even?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: November 21, 2009, 01:56:31 pm »

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: November 21, 2009, 04:25:11 pm »

I always wanted to ask: Fault, your images have a great amount of detail and have a deep character, why do you use such "dirty" lines and dots here and there, it's kinda pixelated even?

That's what gives his artwork character.

Tofu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: November 21, 2009, 04:30:47 pm »

I'm sharing my thoughts on how I think gobbos should be ( as discussed earlier)
Disregard the  Kroot gobbo thing as it should be just kroot.
The ideal goblins for me would be a kroot-ish goblin or a hybrid, since It would distinguish itself from kobolds (or perhaps the other way around).
And yeah, I like the skin color of the ones I have drawn, since it seems like the normal depiction of a goblin is on the brink of craaaazy green, instead of a light greyish tint or the like, which would look much better.   

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 561