Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 561

Author Topic: Fan art competition! *Moving sound*  (Read 1459374 times)

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fan art competition!
« Reply #2235 on: November 19, 2009, 09:23:46 pm »

Yeah in a realistic setting I'd use grey goblins. Or white ones. They look all corpsey that way.

Brown ones are too close to human skin, and could be seen as rascist. Same with black orcs.

Green skin works if they're a reptilian race (which I hate seeing goblins depicted as) or if it's a more fantastical magical setting.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: November 19, 2009, 09:30:44 pm »

But... eh... toads have green skin and red blood....

Unless I'm totally missing the point here. D:

That actually just blew my mind and I have somehow never considered that before.

Still, humanoids with green skin looks weird. Also, most toads and stuff have grey skin.

Yeah in a realistic setting I'd use grey goblins. Or white ones. They look all corpsey that way.

Brown ones are too close to human skin, and could be seen as rascist. Same with black orcs.

Green skin works if they're a reptilian race (which I hate seeing goblins depicted as) or if it's a more fantastical magical setting.

Hmm... I think brownish skin could work on a Goblin without looking like real-world ethnic groups that shares no other physical features. Realistic-skin tones should'nt be racist if you are working with a non-real race. Play around with the colors and see what works? If not, grey works fine then. I'd make it a little darker in tone though, not so pale so it doesn't look "undead". Like the grey skin on a "Grey" alien or Kinda leathery looking, like a shaved cow.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: November 19, 2009, 09:32:25 pm »

But... eh... toads have green skin and red blood....

Unless I'm totally missing the point here. D:

Camoflague; green frogs have pigments in their skin that render it bright green for camoflague purposes.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: November 19, 2009, 09:41:39 pm »

And who says that during some stage goblins needed camoflauge? They are kind of small, anyhow, and it's easy to imagine them being beaten up by all the football scholarship predators unless they figured out some way of outsmarting them.

(If you're annoyed by the lack of quote boxes it's because my little chatbox flips out whenever I include a quote so I'm trying to avoid doing so.)

Anyway I'm getting too far into this. Personally, I like the arcadey retro style feel of green colored goblins, and bringing up realism in a fantasy game is pointless when you're throwing fireballs with one hand and fighting off a pack of elves with the other.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: November 19, 2009, 09:51:13 pm »

can't throw fireballs in DF

yet...

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: November 19, 2009, 09:56:14 pm »

I think the grey skin just makes the goblins look too tough.
It looks like they're made of metal or something.
I'm a fan of brown skinned goblins with a greenish tint.

Also, I imagine humans more as middle eastern looking people in DF.
I think it's because I modded them to build more in deserts.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: November 19, 2009, 10:19:47 pm »

I also think of DF humans as middle-easterners (saracens), probably cause the first time I got to the point where the humans were sending me dipmlomats, I got one who always wore a turban and had a kind of easter sounding name (Iwa Inkulur). He was a pretty nice guy.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: November 19, 2009, 10:32:52 pm »

I see the humans as somewhat dirty, leather wearing europeans, I guess.
In my mind they usually have kinda short, messy hair and skin that is a little ruddy. So, basically, they look like people who have just traveled two months through the wilderness to come to your fortress to sell crap. And they don't usually look very happy about it.

The goblins have green-gray skin(Haha!) and wear damaged iron armor with frayed clothes.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: November 19, 2009, 10:40:56 pm »

Well, demons can throw fireballs...

Also, I'm thinking ein might be on to something.... dull grey DOES make goblins look and seem a bit too hardcore. I'd like to see what a greenish-brown goblin looks like.

Green looks too cartoonish. Light grey looks too much like zombie-dead type nonsense.

My personal view of goblins... is that they are highly militaristic, organized and evil and they all wear military uniforms with esoteric and largely unknown little decorations pinned on the outside in no random order, as a point of pride in their society. Not so much the rag-tag look as like typically portrayed. They take trophies and make leather earrings out of humans and rings out of the femur bones of dwarfs, so a uniform covered in medals made of the folks they killed could be interesting!

I'd like to see Fault's avatar with greenish-brown skin and see what it looks like.

Alternatively, we could also think up of the different types of Goblins and make their own backgrounds.

Goblins, Hobgoblins, Maglubiyet, Bargrivyek, Khurgorbaeyag, ect...

Also, yeah, I see humans as dirty, smelly, leather-wearing europeans with sewage caked on their boots and all that. Stereotypical fantasy-era humans, although the more esoteric, balaclava-wearing middle-eastern sorts with scimitars and camels makes sense to me as well.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: November 19, 2009, 10:44:50 pm »

I think maybe combining most of the rugged, harsher-living humans of the world (frost-bitten russians, sun-burnt saracens, disease-ridden peasants) we can find a form of humanity suitably grim enough for the DF world.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: November 19, 2009, 10:54:26 pm »

I think maybe combining most of the rugged, harsher-living humans of the world (frost-bitten russians, sun-burnt saracens, disease-ridden peasants) we can find a form of humanity suitably grim enough for the DF world.

Well, Toady One said something to the effect of "Humans should just be exactly like humans" in game so I think dirty Germanic yeomen and balaclava-clad arabs, muscular scandavian folks with battle-axes and warriors with wooden armor and thin curved steel swords should all be possible, with any number of fantasy-realm possibilities in addition.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: November 19, 2009, 11:43:37 pm »

Perhaps in the future, civilizations will develop their own culture and wear a specific set of clothing pieces and have a favored kind of weapon.
...Just as soon as it becomes unlikely that said set of clothing/armor will only include one item. ::) It would be... distressing... to see an entire civilization that views anything more than a cloak as overdressing.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: November 20, 2009, 12:04:59 am »

going back to the topic of different dwarf cultures...

see if you can guess which one is which.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: November 20, 2009, 12:16:39 am »

Standard, Dwarrow, Demiurg and dweomer.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: November 20, 2009, 12:22:32 am »

Maybe the Demiurg could be those that live in the deserts and other arid regions, standard would be your usual mountain dwarves, Dwarrow would be the hill and plainsdwarves (representing non-mountain forts as said before), and the Duergar the deep dwarves and representing those forts who choose to cut off contact from the surface world.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 12:27:08 am by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 561