Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 561

Author Topic: Fan art competition! *Moving sound*  (Read 1459354 times)

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
Re: Fan art competition!
« Reply #2205 on: November 18, 2009, 11:33:25 am »

Ooookay, nightmares for a month it is.

:D

Seriously Bala, do you do this professionally? You're far too good to imagine that your skills aren't being used to better mankind.

That is an ideal demon, either way.

Thanks!  I'm not a professional yet. 

These are old.  I think these are almost the first fanarts I ever posted here (but never in this thread, so here they are now).  Dwarf silhouettes!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I immediately though of Ralph Bakshi's LOTR
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: November 18, 2009, 11:40:01 am »

[spoiler]

I'd say this is probably the best image of a goblin I've seen so far, at least the way I perceive them. I play with Dig Deeper, so I imagine the goblins to be something similar to the orcs that the Fellowship of the Ring fought in Moria, while the orcs in DF are akin to the Uruk Hai who fought at the Hornburg.
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: November 18, 2009, 12:31:59 pm »

Thats about right for a goblin, I'd think. Cept they have 5 toes per foot in the raws.

Kobolds only have 3 toes per foot, but still have 5 fingers. So kinda like lizard feet, I guess?

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: November 18, 2009, 05:30:09 pm »

Balathustrius, is your day job art related or something? I can't imagine how many years of painting it took to be able to churn this caliber of stuff out like you do.

And FYI, Elves aren't sentient plants. They're sentient fungus. They eat the corpses of their victims. Only fungi eats dead animal matter, not plants. Of course, then you'd expect them to care about the dwarves staple crop being plump helmets, but still. Then again, there are insectivore plants. Shoot. Now I don't know.

But I'm liking those green elves you just posted awhile back.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: November 18, 2009, 05:43:10 pm »

Elves are Orks?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: November 18, 2009, 06:31:28 pm »

Tolkein Orcs and Goblins were very inhumane, I thought.  Personally I don't like the idea of humans being the only intelligent life capable of being "humane" (ethical is probably a much better word, given how horrible some people can be - another topic).  should other intelligent life exist.  It's always struck me as a little racist - if it can think for itself, it can make the decision to be nice.  Culture and whatnot might make that individual more or less likely to be nice, mind you, and the more isolated the culture is, the stronger it's presence.

So Goblins could be the evil little genocidal bastards, as long as they are somewhat isolated (culturally, not necessarily geographically).  If they aren't, then some should be good and some should be bad.  So really I think it is all about culture.  Without the culture, it's implied that they're all like that just by being born.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: November 18, 2009, 07:01:56 pm »

HEY guys

I was working with some graphite and gradient shading pencils today.
Decided to try for a more realistic style than what I usually work with, here are the results

it didn't scan exactly straight.. you can see a bit of the sketchbook rings at the top

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: November 18, 2009, 07:50:10 pm »

Heh, I recognize Cacame's hammer, and I like the ASCII-relevant plump helmet.

I recall Orcs were the product of Sauron, and basically evil by "nature". Goblin were similarly evil, I think the cause being demon-related, and all of their offspring follow suit. But enough about Tolkien.

Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: November 18, 2009, 08:03:18 pm »

I instantly recogonized the alternative spellings of "Dwarf"..."Dwarrow", "Duergar and" "Demuirg"....

I suddenly realize I'm more of a D&D nerd then I thought I was....

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: November 18, 2009, 08:12:24 pm »

Demurig sounds closer to Demiurge, which is a powerful demon or something.

Rozenbuddy

• Bay Watcher
  • High on Caffine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: November 18, 2009, 08:48:09 pm »

Your art skills are significantly improving every drawing I see that you draw...
I approve.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: November 18, 2009, 08:56:25 pm »

Your art skills are significantly improving

aww, thanks

I think demiurg is the greek word for Craftsman actually
I got the word form warhammer 40k, its the name of a dwarf-like race allied with the tau

Heh, I recognize Cacame's hammer

Nah, thats just any old ordinary hammer. Cacame's hamer is a two-hander with a blade on the end that gets longer and more prominent every time I draw it  :P
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 09:14:29 pm by Fault »

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: November 18, 2009, 09:03:07 pm »

I think demiurg is the greek word for Craftsman actually
I got the word form warhammer 40k, its the name of a dwarf-like race allied with the tau

Yeah.

Dwarf: Standard Mountain Dorf.
Dwarrow: Wild-eyed "hill" Dwarf.
Duergar: Spooky, psionic, evil dorfs with grey skin. (Probably abducts the "hill" dwarves")
Demiurg: Re-packaged Squats from the WH40K world.

I think, at least.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: November 18, 2009, 09:35:53 pm »

I'm not so sure about the last two...

Dwarf: standard mountain dwarf

Dwarrow: wilder hill dwarves (closer to the earth? gypsy magic?)

Deurgar: there should be some kinda evil dwarf race (white skin and black beard?)

Demiurg: some kinda forigner Indian-looking race (the sikhs have nice beards)

« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 09:37:33 pm by Fault »

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: November 18, 2009, 09:56:16 pm »

I'm not so sure about the last two...

Dwarf: standard mountain dwarf

Dwarrow: wilder hill dwarves (closer to the earth? gypsy magic?)

Deurgar: there should be some kinda evil dwarf race (white skin and black beard?)

Demiurg: some kinda forigner Indian-looking race (the sikhs have nice beards)

The Dwarrow should be the Dwarves that just don't live in a proper mountain biomes. They build their settlements out in the hills, plains, forests, swamps and deserts, Humie cities, whatever. Crusty, shitkicking, rebellious, rural farmer types. They are at home wherever a pickaxe can turn the earth and are satisfied with the fruits of the labor their calloused hands produce from the soil or bedrock... Their labor and their work assures their prosperity no matter where they strike the earth. (So wondering gypsy/ viking nomad types, yeah, just that they carve out proper bedrooms and stockpiles wherever they decicde to settle for the next few decades.)

Deurgar: they could be something like the "Deep Dwarves" or "Dark Dwarves" that are popular round here and have completely adapted to a very hostile enviroment deep underground. They worship demons and gods of wealth and military cunning. Pasty skinned, cave-adapted, dark beards and soul-less cataracts on their eyes that have typically seen nothing but "darkvision/ infrared" all of their lives. Perhaps they are the forgotten ancestors of teams sent into the seemingly bottomless pits sent to bring gold and wealth to their mountainhomes but were never to be heard from again. With this mission in mind, the dwarves dug into the riches of the underworld and produced, but with no contact with the world besides the hellish residents of their current abode they adopted a militarist and smash-first-eat-later culture not unknown in traditional dorfen circles, In the lightless, evil enviroment these dwarves have trained their senses and minds to deal with horrors and sensory deprivation completely alien to other dwarves.

Demiurg: These are a subtype of enlightened and exceptional dwarves, mysteriously drawn from those dwarves in fey moods, or some say possessed by forces unknown. that live in the most isolated and hostile of lands. Perched high on the most isolated of mountain peaks or far within the interior of the barren glacier wastelands of the poles. They are a small faction of scattered dwarves, said to be sorcerers and possibly immortal dwarves. They speak in obscure or ancient toungues and weild magic without a second thought, they might wear the uniforms of the soldiers from ancient armies and the expeditions perished in their harsh environes or wear the artifacts of long-forgotten kings.... (These Dwarves might somehow draw mass migration into their hostile hellholes to create a settlement... for reasons unknown to all but them)

Or something. The Demiurg you outlined makes me think of the Afghan sorcerer or guide in the movie "The Objective" in that they live in the middle of nowhere in some cave, in terrifying/evil/ inhospitable biomes... not even a Dwarrow would consider settling in. Intentionally isolated and holding some contempt for the world they have traveled so far to escape so many decades ago.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 10:41:42 pm by HAMMERMILL »
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 561