Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 77

Author Topic: Let’s Play Pathfinder: Rise of the Runelords – Chapter 1: Burnt Offerings  (Read 88669 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Let’s Play Pathfinder: Rise of the Runelords – Chapter 1: Burnt Offerings
« Reply #90 on: September 14, 2016, 01:28:28 pm »

((I wanted to rest and reset my customization points. I need a couple of hours to do that, IIRC.))
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 14, 2016, 01:56:01 pm »

Etoile whispers to Zeratuu's ear.

"Let's move with the crowd. I seriously don't want to be isolated with them, knowing what they can do to you with that want and your display back there. Better to take our chances here."
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 14, 2016, 02:33:53 pm »

((I wanted to rest and reset my customization points. I need a couple of hours to do that, IIRC.))

((It's 8 hours, so you're stuck with your current enhancements until tomorrow, pretty much. You can reset them when the meatbags are sleeping :P))

Zeratuu nods, eyes wide with nervous fright. She tugs at the collar, feeling like it has an invisible leash still attaching her to her former masters.

"Wand produces small lightning. Sometimes hurts little-little, sometimes lots. Doesn't make you fall, no-no, play pretend so dwarf stops sooner." she whispers back as they blend into the crowd, Zeratuu holding into her tail protectively among so many jostling tall ones.

Kal is close behind them, close enough to hear the curious mix of Common and another language they're speaking together. He's not sure exactly on what is being said, though.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 14, 2016, 05:12:55 pm »

((I know you're busy, but to help speed things along on my end since I'm usually busy working or in class, Steven will search for the two menagarie owners to talk to them about finding this monster for them. Being a mercenary, you follow where the money is))
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 14, 2016, 06:47:19 pm »

((It's 8 hours, so you're stuck with your current enhancements until tomorrow, pretty much. You can reset them when the meatbags are sleeping :P))
((...dangit, I see my mistake now. I thought resetting took 8 hours of sleep, much like how spellcasters regain their spells. If this were the case, my Awakened from Stasis trait would have been amazing.

It actually takes 8 hours of concentration, and I have nothing to reduce that. Good thing forgeborn need no sleep, because I'm going to be spending many a night changing my abilities :X ))

Aloisturm just nodded along at Widdershins' antics. Its objective for the day was complete, and none of the other attractions held any interest for the construct now that its psionic abilities were essentially set in stone for the day.

Feeling something much like boredom, Aloisturm follows Master Meatbag around as it examines its surroundings.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 14, 2016, 08:15:04 pm »

((Actually, I'm loving the composition of the party so far. A construct who actually acts like one, a noble-esque sorcerer, a timid and easily flustered bookworm, a strange kobold prisoner, and a quiet stereotypical gunslinger.

I'm expecting also that Steven and Kal are going to butt heads (magic vs technology and all that fun stuff and Etoile is too timid to jump in) and Steven looking for the Kobold will lead to a very awkward situation with me following the Kobold who's following Etoile who's followed by Kal. Great way to get the party to meet...))

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

apiks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 15, 2016, 01:45:53 am »

((Pretty sure Etoile will act as the field medic, trying to heal whoever gets damage if you two fight.))
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 15, 2016, 02:49:16 am »

((Hm… you know, I love the flavor of Awakened from Statis for Aloisturm, so I’ll go ahead and allow that it lowers your reconfiguration to 2 hours, as the sleep benefit is somewhat… lacking for a martial, especially one that doesn’t need sleep in the first place. I don’t really see you abusing it for silly shenanigans, and the 2 hour pause is significant enough that you can’t do it after every fight in a dungeon crawl.

I’m sort of hoping that we don’t get into PvP. A Gunslinger can be super nasty at low levels, and if he crits he can easily kill someone.

That said, let’s move some pieces on the board…))

The square before the cathedral is packed, though an open space is left in the center, and a path leading to the doors of the cathedral. Steven finds himself near the tables at the edge of the square, packed full of savory and delicious smelling food for the lunch after the ceremony.

Etoile and Zeratuu are near the edge on the square on the opposite side, the tents of the menagerie in sight. Zeratuu stays mostly hidden behind Etoile, using the taller half-elf to hide. However, Kal is standing nearby and is keeping a close eye on both of them, curious about the flash of bronze scales he had seen.

The doors of the cathedral swing open, and Father Zantus walks out, two acolytes pushing a small, covered cart behind him. They stop in the center of the square, and he looks around, murmuring to himself, his hands moving in precise gestures. When he speaks, his voice fills the cathedral square, despite being delivered in a calm speaking tone.

“Faithful of Desna, friends of the faith, townsmen and travelers alike. I would like to present to you a short parable of our faith. Once, many centuries ago, a great battle raged between Desna and the terrible Mother of Monsters, Lamashtu…”

The dwarf and gnome from the menagerie walk into the square, the gnome giving the dowsing rod a frustrated shake. He turns to say something to his companion, only to have his shoulder grabbed, the dwarf pointing at something in the crowd.

“Though victorious, Desna’s avatar was terribly wounded, and was cast down from the heavens. She fell to Golarion, and lay in a crater in the hills, immobile and in great pain…”

The two began pushing through the crowd, eyes focused on the small figure and the man standing in front of it.

“Now in these days, a blind child lived in those hills. He was cast out by his people for his affliction, and had little of his own. Despite this, when he came upon this crater in his familiar hills and found Desna, the child, with great effort, dragged Desna to his home and shared freely of what he had…”

So focused on their target, the gnome never noticed the foot that stuck out in front of him and went tumbling, dragging the dwarf down with him in a tangle of limbs and curses. They received glares and shushes from those listening around them, and Kal smiled to himself as he faded into the crowd in the same direction they were going.

“The child gave freely of what food he could find, tipped water into Desna’s mouth and cared for her wounds. In time, she recovered and asked the child whatever he desired, as thanks for his care. He smiled and said that he had only wanted to help her, and had never done so expecting a reward.

Moved by his selflessness, Desna pressed him. Surely there was something in all the world that he desired? The boy paused, and shyly admitted that he would love to be able to see the world, for while he knew its smells and sounds, taste and touch, sight had always been denied him.”

Upright, the dwarf began pushing through the crowd with greater urgency, eyes fixed on his prey as he abandoned stealth for speed.

“Desna granted him his wish, transforming him into a beautiful, immortal swallowtail butterfly so that he might explore the vast wide world for all his days, and so he might spread beauty wherever he went as he did so. In honor of this, on this day, we release Desna’s children, the swallowtail butterflies to share this day.”

As he finished speaking, the acolytes pulled the cover from the small wagon, and hundreds of butterflies spilled forth in a beautiful, multicolored swarm, dancing and darting throughout the square as they celebrated their freedom.

As the crowd cheered and music began to play, the dwarf’s shout of rage went unnoticed. His last sight before a veritable wall of butterflies swept between them was a copper-scaled face and blank silver eyes staring defiantly into his own. As the swarm passed, the kobold and her companion were gone.

Several streets away, Etoile leaned forward, hands on his knees as he panted for breath after the kobold had dragged him in a high speed run through several streets and alleyways, getting them far from the square. She was just ahead, peeking around the next corner when a hand lands on Etoile’s shoulder.
“So… interesting companion you have there.” Kal says quietly.

Back in the square, Rogar Donderstem is talking with his employees, and a small pack of scarred and unsavory types. The gnome is weaving magic to display two figures as Steven approaches, and his eyes study the youth with the half-elven features and the cloaked form next to him.

“Now, we need to keep the menagerie running for this festival, so I’m turning this over to you. I need the smaller figure returned to me… ALIVE. And intact. Break some bones, I don’t care, but don’t cut off anything and it’s worthless to me dead. Bring it back, and you get 200 gold.”

“What about the boy?” one of the bigger men rumbles, cracking his hands together. Unlike the others, who have a variety of clubs, daggers and short swords, he’s completely unarmed. Then again, he looks like he could crush someone’s head with his bare hands.

“That little bastard thinks he can steal MY property? Kill him, bring me proof, make sure you get rid of the body. 100g for him.”

The men agree and begin to split up in groups of two and three, leaving Steven alone with the menagerie crew if he has any further questions, otherwise he can join the search, either alone or joining one of the groups setting out.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 03:28:30 am by Hanzoku »

apiks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 15, 2016, 03:08:39 am »

(("Etoile stays mostly hidden behind Etoile, using the taller half-elf to hide."

Fancy how that happens?  :P

That was very well written, Hanzoku. Everything leading up to this moment felt very organic. Nobody could've known that this was probably not what was supposed to happen.))

A tiny yelp comes out of Etoile as he jumps around and arms his morningstar, his entire body shaking, to face the person now in front of him.

"W-w-w-w-w-who are y-you? What'yawant"

His speech takes an unnatural rhythm as his face starts flushing. It's not often somebody tries talking to him
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 15, 2016, 03:32:09 am »

((Quantum Etoile state, hiding behind himself? >_> Anyway, changed the text, good catch!

And yeah, none of this was meant to happen day 1. :P As far as the adventure path goes, we're still on page 1, where you guys are supposed to have a quiet and fun introduction to the town, not breaking out kobold slaves and being hunted by thugs.))

Zeratuu spins around at Master Etoile's fright and begins hyperventilating at the sight of the person who snuck up on them. It might have been cute, if it wasn't for the wisps of smoke starting to puff from her mouth and nose...

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 15, 2016, 06:34:53 am »

Steven, knowing this info, tries to weave through the crowd towards their target. Clearly these two who he was going to work for aren't the type of people who should be amongst innocents.

He tries to blend with the crowd, looking as if he's getting a better seat.

Perception check to spot Kal talking to Etoile.

Spoiler: If failed (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: If succeeded (click to show/hide)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 15, 2016, 06:42:07 am »

((I loved that post, Hanzoku. You've a real flair for this.))

Kal eyes the Kobold critically.
Draconic:
I never thought to see another of the blood here, Sister. You have no need to fear me, so long as you are not a vicious beast as those Dwarves claim. Bronze, as well... he gives a faint, disbelieving chuckle.

With a sigh he levels his spear at the weapon bearing man, raising one splayed hand. Light gleams off the claws curling from the soft flesh.
Common:
If you are helping this one, as I think you are, then we have no quarrel. I will help you escape from that Gnome and his Dwarf friends. If not... his face sets in a grim, unforgiving scowl then we do have a quarrel. Either way, hurry up and answer - pursuit comes swiftly.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

apiks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 15, 2016, 07:30:08 am »

Etoile's eyes go wide at the claws and he immediately takes a step back in front of the kobold. A wheezing sound comes out of his mouth before he formulates a reply.

"Hiiiiii! W-w-were trying to find a way to remove the collar!!"

His entire body starts slightly shaking at the possibility of a fight. You can hear his teeth chattering.
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 15, 2016, 07:33:42 am »

((You've a flair for writing fluff, Hanz.))

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 15, 2016, 07:43:48 am »

Zeratuu’s breathing caught for a moment and her eyes widened at hearing her first words in Draconic in many years, and they fix on the claws on the stranger’s hand – so like her own.

[Draconic]”A dragon-blessed! Praise the Maker! But if you keep pointing that stick at Master Etoile, I’ll be forced to hurt you!” she said fiercely, her own claws flexing free of scaled fingertips.

Steven moves quickly, eyes hunting the streets and alleys as he passes by. He’s aware of the others who move through the near-deserted streets like stalking dogs, slavering for the reward being dangled in front of them to find their prey.

((*roll* Perception 1d20 + 8 vs ? : 25 : Success))

Steven had caught sight of which way the two figures had run, and made some lucky guesses when presented with alleyways. Twice he stopped and doubled back to take another path, once when a tiny alleyway caught his eye, and a second time purely on a hunch.

In the end, he was successful, stepping around the corner to see three figures caught in a pose, one threatening the other with a spear, the other holding a viciously spiked morningstar warningly. The hood on the little cloaked figure had fallen back to reveal a bronze-scaled draconic head, and smoke wisps from its mouth and nose as it panted.

Like amateurs, the three were talking instead of running, giving their pursuers time to catch up, and Steven sighed to himself as he rolled and lit a cigarette. For now, he was keeping an eye on them.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 77