Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 77

Author Topic: Let’s Play Pathfinder: Rise of the Runelords – Chapter 1: Burnt Offerings  (Read 88720 times)

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A short walk to the north finds the broken timbers that had been used to support the suspended bridge, now fallen and lost in the waters or scattered across the shore. Either way, a short look shows the handholds that Sebastian described. Aloisturm and Zeratuu easily make the climb with some patience, and lower a rope from the top for the others to join them. ((It's a DC 10 check there, so I took a Take 10 result.))

The top of the island is wild and eerie. Heavy moss sags from old trees, and just about every visible piece of wood has been carved in the shapes of birds - eagles, falcons and vultures abound, sharing space with more delicate hummingbirds, sparrows, robins and finches. The burnt timbers of a fallen house loom out of the trees to the south, and it may be possible to find something elsewhere on the island top with a bit of searching.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile

Perception check. What do the eyes of a gunslinger see?
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((*roll* Perception 1d20 + 9 : 26))

Steven's sharp eyes pick out amid the profusion of carvings signs where branches were broken and moss disturbed. Following the trail, the party finds a hollow at the edge of the cliff, filled with the bones of some creature's prey. Luckily, none of the bones appear fresh. Zeratuu inspects the tracks more closely.

((*roll* Survival 1d20 + 5 : 23))

"This... was large, yes yes. horse sized, three claws, walks on all fours... and this one thinks it flies. See here, runs, pushes deep, then no more tracks."

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile

Knowledge check (dungeoneering I think)
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((It calls it out as Local, for some reason. Etoile also has points in that, so...))

((*roll* Knowledge (local) 1d20 + 5 : 21))

Etoile feels a cold flush run through him as he took in the bones, the tracks, and his knowledge of local history. They've found the feeding site of a local legend and terror known as the Sandpoint Devil. Those who have seen it in the distance described it as a horse-like beast, with a nearly skeletal head crowned with broken antlers and filled with jagged, lupine teeth. Ragged bat wings sprout from its emaciated body, and it possesses a reptilian tail.

Those who encountered it more closely, of course, were never heard from again.

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile

Etoile notifies the party of the legend, and voices his fears that it may be more than just that.

"I've heard of creatures like this. I think they called them Chimeras, a product of magic. They're very dangerous."
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

"How dangerous? Could we kill it?"
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((The Sandpoint Devil is considered exceedingly dangerous. Several attempts have been made to track and down and deal with it. Most end in failure, as they've never found it. A few caught sight of it, but couldn't catch up. One or two never came back.))

While the others discuss, Zeratuu climbs into the hollow with bones gingerly and inspects them.

((*roll* Heal 1d20 3 : 11))

The bones comes from mostly animals, with a few goblins and maybe a human in there. The newest ones are maybe a month old. "This one thinks this Devil of Sandpoint is not here often. Maybe wait a few weeks, might catch it eating someone, but not here every day, no no."
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 09:34:02 am by Hanzoku »

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"I still don't want to be around when it does come around.

Doubt I have enough shots to take something of that size down."

Steven realizes something and unloads the blank and loads a normal shot

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"In that case, let's get this task done and get off this island quickly. The Sandpoint Devil can wait for another day."

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"In that case, let's get this task done and get off this island quickly. The Sandpoint Devil can wait for another day."
"If you want to go Chimera hunting someday, that's fine. Just don't take me along.
Try to remember where to go to our destination

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Luckily, the island is small and the burnt beams of the Chopper's home rise above the trees just enough to make it easy to find the ruins. The burnt out remnants of the once-quaint cottage sag beneath a growing tangle of weeds and vines. The charred timbers and collapsed slate roof showing signs of having once been intricately carved in pastoral scenes of birds in flight. Leaning drunkedly against one wall of the house is the remains of a pigeon coop, it's occupants long since gone.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Aloisturm was puzzled about the long-dead Chopper's fascination with birds, but put it aside for now.

Try to find the entrance to the cellar, it's as good a place to start as any.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Steven grabs a digging tool and gives him a hand

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((*roll* Aloisturm - Perception 1d20 -1 :  8))
((*roll* Steven - Perception 1d20 + 9 : 12))

((*roll* Zeratuu - Perception 1d20 + 8 : 28))

Aloisturm begins digging out and throwing fallen chunks of beams and slate shingles out the door, while Steven works his way deeper into the building. The stone tile floor creaks ominously under Steven's weight and he brightens as he sees a stone slab that looks to be the entrance to the cellar. As he starts towards it, he is stopped by Zeratuu who darts towards him and starts pulling him back towards the door, babbling in Dwarvern.

[Dwarvern]"Wait! The structure around the slab is compromised. We need to be careful, or we will overstress the structure and cause a collapse!"

((*roll* Zeratuu - Disable Device 1d20 + 11 Take 10 : 21))

The party waits as the kobold charts the edges of the unstable stonework, almost ten feet around the stone slab. Muttering to herself in Dwarvern, she starts pointing at the others and giving orders, though it takes a prompt from Steven to have them repeated in Common. In short order, a simple structure of solid-enough beams and planks has been assembled that distribute their weight to the solid stonework and allow access to the slab capping the cellar.

((Pit trap disabled))
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 07:24:33 am by Hanzoku »
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 77