Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 77

Author Topic: Let’s Play Pathfinder: Rise of the Runelords – Chapter 1: Burnt Offerings  (Read 88821 times)

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile

((I know it's usually me who forces my character's decision down people's throats but I'd really love to avoid doing that this game due to my character's personality.))
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Well, that's two for and two abstaining, as Zeratuu doesn't get a vote in this situations. I'll go ahead then, with the assumption that you guys collect Kal and let the Sheriff know what you've found already.))

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The group quickly collects Kal and informs the Sheriff of their findings. He has doffed his armor and winces as one of the priests of the Cathedral pokes and prods his side, where a dark and mottled bruise shows where he took the blow from the ogre. Another, armored with a breastplate and wearing a mace and shield has taken position guarding the ruined front of the mausoleum. The scattered and broken brickwork from the ogre zombie's emergence has been neatly stacked on the side, and while it is too late in the day today, it looks like repairs will be started the following morning.

"If you can find those bastards and recover Father Tobyn's remains, we would all be grateful. I think, given the evidence, that the attack on the cathedral square was a diversion for this theft, but for the life of me, I could not guess why. I do ask you to keep this... desecration... to yourselves. Father Tobyn was well respected and beloved in Sandpoint, and it would be very distressing to many to hear that goblins had made off with his remains for some foul purpose.

Also, be careful beyond the walls. Sandpoint is still very much a frontier settlement, and the woods and moors beyond our walls are not always the safest in the night. You know already of the goblins stirring, but even the local boars can be vicious enough if startled, and there are rumors that the Sandpoint Devil is rooming the moors with these new troubles. Please come back safe and tell myself or the mayor what you find. Return through one of the gates - They'll be closed, but guards are being posted for a night watch and they'll be warned to watch for you. Once you're over the wall, we'll remove the ladder - no need to leave it so easy to sneak in."

((For Etoile: The Sandpoint Devil is a near-mythical creature that is rumored to lurk in the region. Supposedly it is a monsterous amalgamation of different animal features - a horse, but walking upright and with the wings of a bat, the teeth of a wolf, a reptillian tail and broken, stag-like antlers. It's hunting scream drives all that hear it into unthinking panic.))

((For the purposes of this, to make any progress Zeratuu has to beat the DC 13 by 5. Rolling between 13 and 17 means she hasn't lost the trail completely, but she isn't making any progress following it. Rolling under the DC means she loses the trail.))

*roll* Zeratuu - Survival 1d20 + 3 vs DC 13 : 13 Partial Success
*roll* 1d20 + 3 vs DC 13 : 18 Success
*roll* 1d20 + 3 vs DC 13 : 22 Success
*roll* 1d20 + 3 vs DC 13 : 22 Success
*roll* 1d20 + 3 vs DC 13 : 23 Success
*roll* 1d20 + 3 vs DC 13 : 14 Partial Success
*roll* 1d20 + 3 vs DC 13 : 21 Success))

With the group together and watching her with varying levels of truth, Zeratuu gulps nervously and closes her eyes, digging up all of her oldest memories of her life before the menagerie. Her first attempts to follow the trail are halting, and her tail lashes with frustration as she keeps losing their tracks. But then her eyes catch the footprints, and the signs of passage in bushes with broken branches and disturbed leaves. With the others behind her, Zeratuu begins the hunt.

Hours pass, and night falls over the group. But for Zeratuu, it is only all the more comfortable as the daylight no longer stings her eyes. She stays low to the ground, the goblins staying in the woods parallel to the road as it travels northeast along the coast, before woods give way to hills. The lessons of her youth are burning bright in her mind, and the little kobold doggedly follows the trail as the trail leaves the hills as the road turns east and plunges into the coastal forest of Shank's Wood.

Passing through the quiet woods, broken only by the hooting of hunting owls and the nearly imperceptible flutter of bat wings and nighttime insects, they cross an ancient graveyard swiftly, which Etoile identifies as a traditional Varisian nomad graveyard. Now known as the Pauper's Graves, many laborers who died in the construction of Sandpoint have been buried there. The graveyard is eerily and oppressively silent, leaving the group ill at ease with the sense of watching malice.

It is almost a relief to enter the tangled and irritating snarls of thorny underbrush that mark the Nettlewood, but as they travel further away from the graveyard, the normal sounds of a forest at night begin to surround them again.

((*roll* Perception for everyone - 2 Successes))

Caught up in the hunt and every sense engaged, Zeratuu hisses and gestures for everyone to stop moving and making sounds and being so loud. Steven has already crouched low, having seen the same things the kobold has. At the edge of a clearing, they see a low-burning fire giving off dim light, and a few dark shapes gathered around the fire, cackling and carrying on. Steven feels a pulse of adrenaline as he recognizes their language - Goblin. Moving carefully, he puts away his unlit cigarette.

((The party is currently undetected, and can see 3 goblins around the fire. How many more are in the area is another question.

Also, I'm putting a rank in Survival for Zeratuu next level to reflect this. The little lizard did good. :P Also as an aside, Sirius mentioned taking prisoners - if you want to, let me know at some point during combat. Most enemies (at least that Aloisturm hasn't hit) are generally hit into dying levels of HP and are allowed to bleed out. If you intend to take prisoners, then I'll track that and give you the chance to stabilize enemies.))
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 05:07:07 am by Hanzoku »

apiks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Good lord those rolls. Zeratuu did brilliantly.))

Etoile immediately stops and lowers himself quietly, adrenaline starting to increase again in the tired youth, fueled by his fear.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

((I don't remember saying anything about taking prisoners...))

Aloisturm takes a moment to activate its Astral Armor. It also activates the Darkvision customization.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((I'm fully expecting us to eventually capture a prisoner which Rusty will try to intimidate information out of. He'll roll really high and instead accidentally smash the squishy.))

((Ah, yes, you're correct. It was apiks, guessing you'd accidentally pop one like a blister.))

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile

Steven readies his pistol before pointing to his eye and towards the fire after making the hand sign for "3"

just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((*starts generating goblins*. As a side note, if you can fill in at least basic stats Dwarfy (str/dex/con/wis/int/cha), I'd appreciate it for the next battle. I can figure out saves, AC and such from there.))

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Is everyone agreed on attacking the goblins? If so, do you want to formulate a plan, or just surprise them from the edge of the clearing?

For example, Zeratuu can sneak in close for a sneak attack.))

apiks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Etoile wouldn't give any strat advice from a character perspective. Also, Etoile is out of spells since we have not rested, right?))
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Yes, you ended up burning through the rest of your 1st level spells cleaning up from the fight with the undead. You still have cantrips, but otherwise it's morning star time.

That said, if he's definitely against fighting, that's also an option. Just because there's monsters there doesn't mean that you need to murder the hell out of them. :P Just that you can.))

apiks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Nah, Etoile's gonna do what the group does. He goes with the flow, albeit in a terrified manner, reminiscent of a recruit in the army put on the field without training. He's just not gonna tell the superiors what to do.))
Founder of Teh LOLmod

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Steven is gonna try and get a prisoner))

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

((Aloisturm can perhaps open up with a ranged attack, but on the whole it'll probably end up charging in.

Be sure to mention that you want a prisoner IC, otherwise the rustbucket will probably just end up hammering them all to paste, as per usual.))
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Steven is gonna intimidate them and tell them to surrender as we got them cornered. If they don't believe him, he's gonna fire a warning shot. Why not end the encounter before it starts?))

Steven whispers to Rusty and begins to sneak around the goblins to the opposite side of them

"I'm going to try and sneak around their flank. When I reveal myself, and they don't call my bluff, make as much noise as you can."

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 77