Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 77

Author Topic: Let’s Play Pathfinder: Rise of the Runelords – Chapter 1: Burnt Offerings  (Read 88648 times)

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let’s Play Pathfinder: Rise of the Runelords – Chapter 1: Burnt Offerings
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2016, 07:23:45 pm »

((Sorry for the delay in replying, it's been pretty busy these last few days.))

Steven Westiron and Kal Templux

Both of you end up traveling the same direction, passing through the square in front of the cathedral, and thus you both earn front row seats to a raging argument between one of the dwarves working the menagerie and the Sheriff, Belor Hemlock.

The Sheriff is wearing an expression of long-suffering patience as he tries to talk quietly to the dwarf, who stomps, waves his arms, and rages with his yellow beard bristling in outrage.

“What do you mean, you won’t look for it? It’s an escaped, dangerous beast! We need to recapture it at once!” The dwarf roars, shaking a fist at the human.

Belor sighs, obviously repeating himself yet again. “It’s not a matter of being unconcerned with the danger, though if it was such a danger as you suggest, I would have expected that it would have been flapping around, lighting everything on fire… like it almost did to the last group that saw it?”

The dwarf bristled. “Believe me, Sheriff Hemlock, that beast is a danger and a menace! If we can’t return it at once to the menagerie-“

“Master Donderstem, let me be clear: Sandpoint does not have so many guards as a larger city, and we’re packed full today with visitors from near and far. I do not have the men or time to go chasing off after your escaped beast, or try to track it down in a town as busy as we are today. If you and your lads want to spend your time looking, you’re welcome to… within the limits of courtesy, of course.”

“How DARE you?! Do you have any idea of how much it costs to run a menagerie as impressive as this? Do you think we have TIME to spend doing YOUR work?”

Belor snorts. “Given Mayor Deverin shared the costs of hiring your troop when she proposed the town pay for your act, I’m well aware of the robbery you claim as poverty. Now, I’ve made my point clear and there is much to see to today. For now, I expect you to make doubly sure that none of the rest of your menagerie manages the same trick – I particularly don’t want that owlbear brute loosed into the crowd, and I’ll have your head if it does get loose, I promise you that, sir.”

Master Donderstem sputters in outrage, but is met by the human’s swiftly receding back as Belor finds another place to be. Growling to himself, the dwarf glares at the watching crowd and snaps. “What? Go away, the menagerie is closed until further notice! If you want a nice reward, if you see a dragonling with tiny wings running around, I’ll make it worth your while. Now go! Get!”

He makes shooing motions and returns to the other two dwarves and the gnome, the four putting their heads together and chatting together quietly in Dwarvern.

Kal lingers in the square after that display, while Steven walks onward towards the east gate. There, a shooting range is set up, letting the people of Sandpoint try the rare and impressive firearms on display there. Steven eyes the weapons critically – they’re battered and small-bored, better suited to hunting then fighting. Firing them has been interesting experiences for the townsmen, producing cries of shock and laughter at ringing ears as the familiar crack of gunfire fills the air.

The man operating the stand is older and grizzled, his short-cut hair salt and pepper and his body whipcord lean. He gives quick instruction gruffly to those taking part, and looks to be taking proper care in preparing each of the guns after they’ve been fired – cleaning out residue and packing a charge and ball for the next to try.

Seeing Steven, he frowns at the cigarette, but relaxes when Steven takes a last drag and drops it to the ground, crushing the last ember under his boot.

“Care to take a shot, outlander? Hit two of the three targets and get a chance to match guns with Dexter Smithson.”

Aloisturm and Kal Templux

Back in the square, Kal drifts towards a simple area bounded by ropes. Within, a woman dressed in simple, severe robes is performing exercises – normally not too interesting, but it’s not every day that he’s seen a person performing pushups with one hand. After several repetitions for each arm, she shifts back to her feet in a simple, flowing motion. Stepping to the side, two men lift a stack of boards onto two sturdy stones. She stops in front of the planks and concentrates. The crowd hushes as they watch her sprint from motionless to strike in a single blurring motion, the loudest sound being the crisp snap of the wood as the boards shatter under her blow.

Walking back to the center, she bows shallowly to those watching her and finally speaks. “I am Sabyl Sorn, Master of the House of Blue Stone. The discipline of Irori allows for many great feats, and mastery of one’s body and spirit. Through mastery, one becomes closer to perfection of the human form.

I now invite those who wish to prove themselves to step forward. This competition is simple. You need only touch me, with hand or weapon, to win. I, in turn, must knock you to the ground. The goal is not to kill the other person, but to show skill and restraint. Why will try first?”

Her voice is surprisingly sweet for such an iron expression as a burly caravan guard swaggers into the arena with her. He draws a serviceable but worn longsword and strikes a guard. “Hah, this will be easy! What do I win when I hit you, missy?”

She regards his swaggering manner with cool disdain. “Access to the House of Blue Stone, and the library contained there…. Not that I expect you read very much… or at all.”

He flushed at her needling. “Bah, for that, I don’t need any reward at all. Raaagh!”

He lunges at her without much skill, but with plenty of enthusiasm. But Sabyl flows like water around his strikes, and suddenly blurs forward, one hand pushing his sword arm even further out, and a leg hooking around his knee. She twists, and he goes from lunging to sprawling in the dirt, his sword skittering away.

She returns to the center and awaits her next challenger. Next to Aloisturm, Bastargre Widdershins is nearly vibrating in excitement. “You have to win, Cons-er… Aloisturm! I’ve been trying to gain access to that library for years! It’s supposed to have all sorts of rare tomes in it that I would love to read! Do win, won’t you?”

As Aloisturm steps into the arena, Widdershins can’t resist making and taking bets on the construct’s chances – though after seeing his performance in the last festival, people seem to be taking Aloisturm far more seriously.

Sabyl raises an eyebrow at the construct and bows shallowly. “I am not sure who you are, but you may have the first blow.”

((Make any adjustments and choose which weapon you want to attack with. Each round, you are trying to land an attack against Sabyl Sorn’s Touch AC. She, in turn, is trying to trip you. Good luck!))

Etoile and Zeratuu

In the library, Etoile indeed finds the book he was thinking of further, and located in the correct spot. He lays it on the table and quickly finds a section detailing kobolds. While the section is small, it discusses general kobold physiology in reasonable detail. One point it makes clear is that while most kobolds have dull, muddy colorations, a rare few are born with the scale colors of chromatic dragons. These kobolds tend to be considered ‘favored’ or ‘lucky’ within the tribe, and tend towards leadership roles and positions of importance. A tiny paragraph speaks of hearsay about an encounter a traveler had with a kobold who had golden scales, but as the beast was swiftly slain and never studied carefully, no conclusions could be made from the tale.

Nothing in the book mentions a kobold with other metallic scale colors such as the kobold sitting across the table, bronze scales shining through places where the red paint has worn off.

For her own part, Zeratuu had explored the library with careful curiosity, sniffing the air as she did so. The place smelled of paper, dust, and faintly of the longlegs. She presumed that this was his nesting cave, and questioned where he slept, and why he paid so much attention to these bundles of plant matter. Then her curious gaze stopped on a lower shelf, and she squeaked to herself. Dwarvern runes! She knew how to read those, at least! She carefully pulled the book out and looked at the cover.

Precious Minerals and Gemstones – Their Properties and Appearances

Curious, she opened the tome, and began to laboriously read the first entry. “Gold is often considered one of the foremost precious minerals, being the most common currency of merchant transactions…”

Caught up in the new experience, her tail whisked back and forth with cat-like satisfaction, passing the time while the longlegs read as well, glancing between the book and her every so often.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2016, 07:41:10 pm »

Aloisturm considered the situation carefully. It wanted access to the library for its own reasons; what the tiny Meatbag wanted was immaterial. Therefore, it was essential to not only win the competition, but to do so in such a way that would cause an impression with the fleshy martial artist. With luck, she would be willing to give Aloisturm the reward and not its "master".

The glowing crystals embedded in Aloisturm's shoulder plates began to pulse in rhythm, alternating between two different colors. At the same time, two things changed. The first was that the construct shifted into some sort of boxing stance. The second was that its feet sprouted small spike-claws that gripped the ground they stood upon.

It was not optimal, but it was the best the ancient construct could do with current power settings. It lunged forward to attack!

Customizations: Hardened Strikes, Adhesive Feet! Attack Sabyl unarmed!

((Still using Astral Armor, btw. That's basically my default.))
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 07:51:23 pm by Sirus »
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2016, 08:13:38 pm »

"I am. When do we start?"
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2016, 04:07:55 am »

As interesting as the physiology of kobolds is in the books, Etoile remembers that he has a real one right next to him! Wait. Was it reading a book? Wasn't that from the dwarven runes section?

Excited Etoile hops about and searches for a dictionary or anything else related to the languages of Undercommon and Dwarven that may help him communicate with this strange creature.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 09:10:15 am by apiks »
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2016, 09:02:53 am »

Kal raises an eyebrow at the competitor's appearance and tries to remember if he's ever heard or read of the like before.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2016, 09:26:31 am »

Aloisturm

Sabyl begins to weave her arms sinuously as she invites Aloisturm’s attack, eyes watching his shifts and weight and movements as he takes up a boxing stance.

Round 1
((*roll*: 1d20+6 vs Touch AC : 12 – Miss!))

She easily evades the blow and kicks out at its knee, lightning swift, hooking her foot behind and pulling back.

((*roll*: 1d20 + ? vs CMD 21 : 11 – Miss! AoO provoked!))

Her eyes widen as the spikes on Aloisturm’s feet prove their advantage, and its fist thunders towards her head with unstoppable force.

((*roll*: 1d20+6 vs Touch AC : 11 – Miss!))

She’s quick to dodge, moving backwards as Aloisturm follows up his jab with another solid punch, swiveling at the hip to add more force to it.

Round 2
((*roll*: 1d20+6 vs Touch AC : 17 – Miss!))

The forgeborn’s fist ruffles the hair on her head, but that doesn’t count as a strike. Sabyl dives between its legs, kicking at the back of its kneejoints.

((*roll*: 1d20 + ? vs CMD 21 : 11 – Miss! AoA provoked!))
((*roll*: 1d20 + 6 vs Touch AC : 21 - Miss!))

Aloisturm refuses to budge, instead wheeling around and kicking at the monk, forcing her to scramble away.

Round 3
((*roll*: 1d20+6 vs Touch AC : 11 – Miss!))

((*roll*: 1d20 + ? vs CMD 21 : 6 – Miss! AoA provoked!))
((*roll*: 1d20 + 6 vs Touch AC : 11- Miss!))

The crowd becomes hushed as the enduring forgeborn puts the monk on the defensive. Sweet is starting to bead her brow as she’s finally faced with an opponent that can last more than a few seconds against her.

Round 4
((*roll*: 1d20+6 vs Touch AC : 23 – Miss!))

((*roll*: 1d20 + ? vs CMD 21 : 19 – Miss! AoA provoked!))
((*roll*: 1d20 + 6 vs Touch AC : 21 - Miss!))

Round 5
((*roll*: 1d20+6 vs Touch AC : 20 – Miss!))

((*roll*: 1d20 + ? vs CMD 21 : 15 – Miss! AoA provoked!))
((*roll*: 1d20 + 6 vs Touch AC : 9 - Miss!))

Round 6
((*roll*: 1d20+6 vs Touch AC : 24– Hit!))

The struggle ends with one finger pressed against the tip of Sabyl’s nose, the startled monk going almost cross-eyed as she stares in shock at the offending digit.

The crowd is silent as they await her response. As Aloisturm lowers its arm, she bows deeply in respect. “I admire your superior skill. Thank you for this match, it will provide motivation to train myself further.”

The crowd begins to roar, and Widdershins is busy in the background collecting his winnings, rubbing his hands together and cackling in glee at the prizes he’s ‘earned’ through Aloisturm’s efforts.

((Well done in the fight, you managed to land a hit against a level 4 monk with a touch AC from hell. It was mechanically possible without needing a crit, but only just.))

Kal Templux

((*roll*: 1d20 + 7 (Knowledge: Arcana) – 9 ))

Kal watches the fight, focusing more on the golem fighting the monk then the fight in general. It’s surprisingly agile and precise, but he doesn’t know anything more about it – it’s certainly nothing he can remember hearing or reading about before.

Steven Westiron

Steven is handed the first gun – it’s indeed much smaller bore then a real weapon. The first target is 10’ away, the next at 20’ and the last at 30’.

Taking aim, he experty sights and fires at the closest target.

((*roll*: 1d20 + 6 vs ?? AC : 23 – Hit!))
((*roll*: 1d20 + 8 vs ?? (Perception) : 18))

As Steven puts the gun down, he’s certain that the owner of the stand is cheating. There isn’t as much powder in there as there should be, and this is reducing the accuracy of the weapon. The question is, how does he want to handle the issue?

Etoile & Zeratuu

Looking around, Etoile finds a book on translating dwarvern to common. He puts it down next to Zeratuu, and the two start working together to figure out a common basis of communication.

((Etoile: *roll*: 1d20 + 12 vs ?? (Linguistics) : 22))
((Zeratuu: *roll*: 1d20 + 6 vs ?? (Linguistics) : 26))

In a surprisingly short amount of time, Etoile has assembled a small collection of notes on common phrases, syntax and shared words. The kobold for her part is soaking up the new information like a sponge, almost buzzing with happiness.

”This one thanks Master. Wants to learn more-more ‘Common’.” she states firmly.

((You can now hold basic conversations with Zeratuu. The two of you are speaking a mix of Common and Dwarvern.))

apiks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2016, 10:13:56 am »

Etoile goes wide eyed at the way the kobold is referring to him and sputters.

"M-master? No, no. You must've mistaken the word for "mister". They sound similar but have different meanings."

After correcting her he goes in a frenzy of questions.

"What's your name? Where are you from? What were you doing with those dwarves? I thought only dangerous beasts incapable of sentient thought were there. Can I ask you about the color of your scales? What abo--"

Etoile bites his tongue at the last sentence, stopping the flow of questions, but nevertheless the twinkle in his eyes remains.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2016, 11:12:08 am »

((A touch AC of 24, jeegus))

The construct bowed in return...but only to unobtrusively lean close enough to Sabyl to be heard over the uproar.

"Inquiry: how many will be allowed access to the library?"
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2016, 11:33:54 am »

((What kind of firearm am I firing?))

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2016, 12:19:12 pm »

((Two-handed training musket. Not quite a bb-gun, but close. I made stats for it, but they aren't at hand. What I do remember is 1d4, 10' range increments. Because of the light charge, you were shooting against its armor AC instead of touch AC.

On the monk: It could have been worse. You actually beat her basic touch AC three times, but she was fighting in Snake Style and could have had an AC up to 31, if she rolled well enough.))

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2016, 12:49:49 pm »

Edit:
((Let me get on my laptop and I'll post properly))

Steven puts the musket down and puts an unlit cigarette in his mouth and tips his hat up towards the man loading the muskets. His voice isn't raised like a child who realizes he's been cheated but stern and annoyed like voice a lawman giving a criminal caught in the act a chance to stop and walk away.

"Perhaps I should load the muskets for you. Either you don't know how much powder goes into these tools or you are unworthy to run this range."

Intimidate check
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 01:05:49 pm by highmax28 »

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2016, 11:42:31 pm »

Steven Westiron

((*roll*: 1d20 + 7 (Intimdate) vs ? : 14))

Dexter snorts in disdain at the accusation and looks unfazed. "You think you know so much better, you try. Get over here."

He leads Steven over to the table where he reloads the muskets and watches critically while Steven completes the familiar task. He relaxes a little as he sees Steven's knowledge and quietly confides in him. "Look, most of the yokels who try my range have no idea how to handle a firearm. Reducing the load makes it safer in case they really screw up and fire above the backstop. You know what you're doing, so I'll make sure you're loaded right."

Aloisturm

Sabyl looks at Aloisturm sharply and gives a small smile as she tips her head towards Widdershins. "Well... Yourself, as the winner... And anyone you choose to bring with you." She says, giving particular emphasis to its ability to choose. "I'll be interested to see who comes with you."

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2016, 12:57:29 am »

"I admire your desire for safety. I would load it myself but the others would accuse me of using a different powder or magic bullets."

Steven returns to his position to fire at the 20' target with the right powder amount and uses deadeye for the target if it's beyond the first range increment. Same for the last target.

((Deadeye causes me to hit touch AC if it's beyond firs range increment))

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2016, 02:34:39 am »

Steven Westiron

((*roll*: 1d20 + 6 -2 (range) vs Touch AC : 14 - *HIT* -1 Grit))
((*roll*: 1d20 + 6 -4 (range) vs Touch AC : 20 - *HIT* -2 Grit))

The gathered crowd watched with baited breath as Steven expertly aims and fires, the practice musket thundering more forcefully - true to his word, Dexter is letting Steven fire full charges. With almost preternatural skill, Steven makes sure to blast the exact center of both remaining targets, a cheer going up with each bullseye.

Dexter sets down a set of six muskets and offers Steven his hand. "Well, you're a hell of a shot, mister." he says, arranging the guns in front of them while an assistant sets up two targets side by side at the 30' mark.

"For the shoot off, we each take three shots at our target, and we're scored by how close we come to the bullseye. You win, and there's a 50g prize for you."

((You're currently at 1 / 4 Grit after those two Deadeye deeds. Scoring will be handled by totaling attack damage, the highest total wins.))

Etoile & Zeratuu

The little kobold hisses in amusement at the flood of questions "Master is like a hatchling fresh from the shell, a dozen questions and not even answers for one before then next dozen tumbles out."

She points to herself "This one has the hatching name Zeratuu. She was too young for her hunting name when the Slayers came. This one's home was in..."she stops and hisses for a moment, and Etoile realize that it's a complex draconic name. She spends some time looking up words in the books, mouthing them to herself. "Place-where-trees-walk-and-spiders-stalk" she finally translates. She looks pleased, then shrugs. Probably has other-other language in Common, but that was what old tribe called it. This one was property of dwarves and their clan. Now, Master has freed this one, and in gratitude, she will serve Master's clan. If Master turns out to be like dwarves, this one will escape again."

She frowns in thought as she remembers the menagerie. "Bear with bird head monster. Monster-monster! Hates all, would kill all. Ape-rat-mole called 'Zoog'. Monster, maybe can talk, but this one saw what it did to cat that got too close to cage. Cruel thing, bad thing. plant creatures... Zeratuu's friends. Can think, can't talk, understand Undercommon. Bird and horse are bird and horse. One rare here, other dressed up and pretty magics to fool peasants. Dwarves, bought Zeratuu as slave, like other things they display. No one cares because we not soft skins. Dwarves talk quick, and before Master, who think to stand up for monster? Paint red, people think bad because colors of scales, not do anything."

She tugs absently at the collar around her neck as she considers his last question "My scales... most common. Brass, copper, bronze, many-many in old tribe. Silver... some. Gold was rare-rare. Considered lucky, blessed by The Maker. gold-scales often priests, shamans, war-leaders and chieftain."

apiks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2016, 03:05:19 am »

Etoile pulls out his journal, ink and pen and writes down with interest the major points of what she says, titling the page Zeratuu, the Draconic Kobold.

"You are fascinating, Zeratuu. You are free now though. You don't have to follow me or call me m-master. If the collar is uncomfortable I think it would be best if you waited a week or two after the festival ends and the dwarves leave before getting it cut at the blacksmith's."

He looks her in the eyes with a questioning look before getting flushed at what he was doing and asks a quick question to hide his embarrassment.

"My name is Etoile. Pleased to meet you Zeratuu."
Founder of Teh LOLmod
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 77