Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: If you were forced to become ruler for life of a single country...  (Read 1943 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
If you were forced to become ruler for life of a single country...
« on: September 01, 2016, 08:33:30 pm »

...which one would you pick?  It seems so simple, until you start thinking about all the stuff that would go into actually ruling a country.  I honestly have no clue which one I would go for.  Maybe Monocco?  Though small does not imply simple to rule...
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: If you were forced to become ruler for life of a single country...
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 08:38:50 pm »

Absolute rulership or permanent head of state?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 08:44:29 pm »

Absolute rulership or permanent head of state?

Depends on its current governmental state.  Latter for Republics and Democracies, former for autocratic, oligarchal, or anarchtic states.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 08:49:51 pm »

The People's Republic of China, if we're counting that as autocratic or oligarchical.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 09:11:09 pm »

If I'm permanent head of state, I'd choose Great Britain, because the Royals (the nominal heads of state) get everything handed to them, live in massive luxury, and don't have any actual responsibilities.

If I'm the absolute ruler, I'd choose Madagascar because, while shitty, it's pretty peaceful (and rebels and other bullshit from neighboring regions is far less likely to come around if it has to swim across the channel than if it can just waltz across the border in the middle of nowhere) and has a fairly clear way forward as far as development. Plus if there's ever more global trouble I can just close the port.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 09:14:41 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 09:23:42 pm »

If I'm permanent head of state, I'd choose Great Britain, because the Royals (the nominal heads of state) get everything handed to them, live in massive luxury, and don't have any actual responsibilities.

If I'm the absolute ruler, I'd choose Madagascar because, while shitty, it's pretty peaceful (and rebels and other bullshit from neighboring regions is far less likely to come around if it has to swim across the channel than if it can just waltz across the border in the middle of nowhere) and has a fairly clear way forward as far as development. Plus if there's ever more global trouble I can just close the port.
This has the added benefit of making you entirely immune to disease.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 09:28:33 pm »

Hmm, in my own country it is really very hard to get anything done without plenty of support of the larger political parties.

In other countries it would be hard to get anything done for knowing far less about them. Added to that many places would very quickly depose-or-worse me, especially autocratic countries rely on the loyalty of the elite to a specific person, rather than to the legal system. I imagine if a random stranger were to suddenly and inexplicably replace Putin, that the Putin-loyalists making up most of the important government functions would be less than cooperative. Being ruler for life is less meaningful if your life suddenly becomes very short...

Ah heck, too much thinking, I'll just pick Malta.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 09:36:11 pm »

I'll make America great again by throwing everything west of the Mississippi into the lake of fire. Nelson Rockefeller will return in glory and splendor to defeat Reagan in a cosmic battle and institute an eternal kingdom of benevolent Northeastern aristocracy.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 09:37:48 pm »

Go even farther and become emperor of Japan, who actually has a true purely ceremonial role. Heck, it actually states that his main role is to be "the symbol of the State and of the unity of the people" while "not hav[ing] powers related to government". :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 09:44:22 pm »

China, nuke everyone, die.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 10:51:35 pm »

Dibs on pope.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 10:14:35 am »

Bhutan. 

Ruling a place where Gross Domestic Happiness > Gross Domestic Product = more fun!  (Being called 'Thunder Dragon King' is just pure bonus.)

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2016, 10:38:45 am »

Straya m8
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2016, 11:20:03 am »

Personally, I'd only chhoose GB if it was the other way round.

As Queen King I would not be able to keep up with the 'voluntary' schedule of appointments and ceremonies, would not know the best way to get anything done that I want to get done and would end up falling way short of the approval rating of the current monarch, or any of her relatives (even Fergie!) and thihgs would fall ti pieces quite quickly, no matter how much 'luxury' I lived in for the duration.

But, as PM... Presumably the automagical method of my assuminng the position means I'm not in hoc to either parliament or public for at least the foreseeable future and I can actually Right Some Wrongs and delegate other things to people I actually think can do a good job at them, and I won't be living in any less (useful) opulance whilst I'm doing so.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2016, 11:26:57 am »

Go even farther and become emperor of Japan, who actually has a true purely ceremonial role. Heck, it actually states that his main role is to be "the symbol of the State and of the unity of the people" while "not hav[ing] powers related to government". :P

What I had meant by Head of State was more the Prime Minister/President/etc. than King/Queen or Emperor.
Pages: [1] 2 3