Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Pureaxe; a tale of cleansing and purification.  (Read 1176 times)

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
Pureaxe; a tale of cleansing and purification.
« on: September 01, 2016, 05:54:06 pm »

Alright fellow forumdwellers; I need your help!

Wooden minecarts for use on the Vertical Exceptionally Ramped Yahoo Designating Extreme Accelerating Device.

Purest: Black hair, copper skin.

Pure: Black hair, or copper skin.

Impure: Non-dwarf, or no black hair and copper skin.

Gold sarcophogi for Original 7. Silver for royalty. Tin, copper, etc for other Purest.

Stone sarcophagi for Pure.

Slabs for Impure unless death in battle with at least one notable kill. Valiant Impure get wood coffins sealed inside favorite stone/metal-block chamber on surface.

Impure section is to be kept separate from the main fort and all invaders from below or surface must go through it. 

Tavern set up above Impure section and also used as buffer for surface invasions.

Main fortress has three main stairways. One for stoneworking, one for metalworking, and one for Pure/Purest dining, library, temple, military stuff, etc, and for whatever doesn't fall under metal, stone, or wood (eg: glass). Woodworking is on/close to the surface.

Impure are the only ones to haul and push carts around.

Pure do weaving, stoneworking, woodworking, and military. (Mining and mechanic fall under stoneworking. Siege engineer is woodworking.)

Purest do metalworking and military.

Original 7 have Royal-Quality chambers.

Purest have 3x3 'however-high-quality-it-gets' chambers.

Pure have 2x2 'however-high-quality-it-gets' chambers.

Impure have either rough stone dormitory or barracks.

Pure/Purest have legendary dining rooms and statue gardens and whatnot.

Impure have the most basic of stuff.

Keep Impure separate from Pure except in hospital. Maybe.

Impure military forces have wooden armor and melee weapons. Two different 'sections', one watching the surface, one watching the caverns.

Pure/Purest military forces have metal or leather and metal weapons along with crossbows.

One Purest (theoretically the Expedition leader) will be chatting around with the idle dwarves in a meeting hall to hopefully become Mayor. That is the only job for them.

What I need your guys' help with is figuring out ways to do some of these. Specifically keeping the Impure away from the Pure when it comes to stockpiles. I'm aware you can make dwarves throw stuff down holes and then the Impure could haul it to where it needs to go, but I don't know how I'd get raw material to the working people very easily. Quantum stockpiles by minecart perhaps?

Also, should I have two separate hospitals for the lulz of watching the Impure have malpractice, would having one centralish hospital with good staff be the best option (just so we can have that one Impure soldier with legendary status.)?

I will be posting as interesting stuff happens. Hell, I'll dorf some people next wave(s) if you want. Some Impure will be purified by the VERYDEAD minecart ride.

Can anyone also tell me what might be better than 'black hair and copper skin'? Because so far all my dwarves seem to have that...I'll need to look through it a bit more, but I'd like something a bit more...rare for the Purest.
DF Veterans- n. - One who has lost one or more forts due to a stupid oversight.

Morality is relative,/Puppies are cheap,/Dwarves are zealots of,/A place that creeps and leaks,/where oversears send them to die,/so we may feast on their on their sorrow,/as we chew on their marrow
Just never forget,/That Bloodyhells is always a threat.

Waistcoats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pureaxe; a tale of cleansing and purification.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 06:43:41 pm »

Try going through their morals, how much they believe in certain things like honesty, tradition, valour, etc, and judge them based on that as needed.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 07:50:20 pm »

"Impure are the only ones to haul and push carts around. "
"Specifically keeping the Impure away from the Pure when it comes to stockpiles"

Uh....

"'however-high-quality-it-gets'"
There isn't a cap if you have infinite water source. (infinite obsidian).

Just add 1x1 bridge to room and keep attaching mechanisms to that bridge.

Otherwise, the cap would pretty much linearly scale with however much stone your map has. Though, as a limit...100z * 16 map tiles * 2304 tiles per map tile = 3 686 400 mechanisms to be made. You'll hit 1 FPS less than tenth of the way into that though, I think.

As for separation: Physical separation would work best - use separate stockpiles for pure and impure. This would mean two hospitals, and yes, throwing things down a hole. There is no malpractice, there is merely being too slow.

The minecart requirement does mean that the pure must dump things they produce out by manual micro-dumping, instead of by convenient minecart setup.

Use dwarf therapist filter to select for what you want. Then, say, have the impure fly out in a minecart or be burrowed and dropped off a retracting bridge.

If you do lot of trades, i.e. with coins (macros help), then you get appropriate social skills. This may help with picking mayor.

Finally, you might want to exclusively select dwarves that want to rule the world...This does mean that you have to get rid of their children when they have any, though.

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 08:20:09 pm »

Try going through their morals, how much they believe in certain things like honesty, tradition, valour, etc, and judge them based on that as needed.

Ehhhh. That's not eugenics though. :p

Just add 1x1 bridge to room and keep attaching mechanisms to that bridge.

I mean by like, smoothing, engraving, and then whatever furniture is lying around. I don't want to do some exploity thing.

As for separation: Physical separation would work best - use separate stockpiles for pure and impure. This would mean two hospitals, and yes, throwing things down a hole. There is no malpractice, there is merely being too slow.

You sure? Because I'm pretty certain there's malpractice if your dwarf sucks at doctoring. XD Ahvell. Ok, keep everything separated for the most part. Sounds good.

Then, say, have the impure fly out in a minecart or be burrowed and dropped off a retracting bridge.

The Vertical Exceptionally Ramped Yahoo Designating Extreme Acceleration Device is gonna be giving them minecart rides to the only thing that can fully purify the impure. The blood of the earth itself!!! In a wooden minecart. ;)

Morality is relative,/Puppies are cheap,/Dwarves are zealots of,/A place that creeps and leaks,/where oversears send them to die,/so we may feast on their on their sorrow,/as we chew on their marrow

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 08:52:26 pm »

That's not "however high-quality-it gets", that's barely better than impure rooms....That aside, you could encrust that furniture with everything, but I suppose that could be considered exploity in the exact same way.

However, I'll note that wiki editors have listed quantum stockpiles under exploits. If your goal is to avoid anything they've put on that page it means that you can't use dropping things down a hole to transport goods - you need to use stockpiles inside an airlock.

Never seen malpractice myself, but my fortresses are rather safe. If you can give me a screenshot of malpractice, it'd be appreciated.

You can't store magma in a wooden minecart. The minecart just disappears.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 08:54:06 pm by Fleeting Frames »

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 09:45:10 pm »

This turned Nazi really fast, and here at Bay12 we blink no eye.

... Guys, I'm worried about us
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 10:03:42 pm »

Eh, after seeing people depopulate their entire civilization of dwarves giving some of them worse bedrooms and combat roles isn't much to blink at.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 10:29:50 pm »

If you give the "pure" ones statue rooms inside the "pure" area, then use the military squads to move the "pure" into the right area and the "impure" out of it, you can then create that division of populations.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 12:05:49 am »

That's not "however high-quality-it gets", that's barely better than impure rooms....That aside, you could encrust that furniture with everything, but I suppose that could be considered exploity in the exact same way.

However, I'll note that wiki editors have listed quantum stockpiles under exploits. If your goal is to avoid anything they've put on that page it means that you can't use dropping things down a hole to transport goods - you need to use stockpiles inside an airlock.

Never seen malpractice myself, but my fortresses are rather safe. If you can give me a screenshot of malpractice, it'd be appreciated.

You can't store magma in a wooden minecart. The minecart just disappears.

I'm fine with quantum stockpiles. (The fort has very few people, it's just starting), but I don't want to just stuff mechanisms on a bridge.

Also, I'm aware you can't store magma in wooden minecarts. That's why they're wooden. ;)

After some time of looking at dwarves and new migrants, we apppear to only be getting black haired, copper skinned, brass eyed dwarves...the impure might only be able to join by petition. TTnTT

Unless of course I go with some other body difference. Maybe those with really upturned noses or something are Impure....? Hmm...I need to make a list of the differences of body stuff and make a 'range' for the Pure/Purest and Impure. Yes. Mutations may not be allowed! MUWAHAHAHAHA.

Tiny fort update

We survived our first wereass attack. Four dead and one cursed though. BECAUSE THE OTHER DAMN AXEDWARVES WERE SLEEPING. WHY THE FUCK DO THEY STILL SLEEP WHEN THERE'S A CALL TO ARMS??????? On the plus side, I've successfully managed to contain the outbreak as one dwarf and make the fort immortal. He's locked inside what would be his tomb. With engravings. And I'll make an engraving on the floor next to the constructed (thus-unfortunately-unengravable-wall) of him being cursed as a warning.

One of the original seven was killed as well. I'm making their bedrooms into their tombs with golden coffins. I need to get the awesome-at-every-thing-metal-but-blacksmithing dude up to scratch with his blacksmith, and wait for a good blacksmith, to make statues for the tomb and the O7's rooms. The other three that have died are getting tin sarcophagi. Unless they too, were part of the O7. I need to double check that.

On the sealed tomb, we have our first engraving of our fortress' symbol.

"Engraved is a fine Tosid Arbantulon rendition of The Outrageous Mountain, a finely-designed image of dwarves and elves. The dwarves are burning the elves. The dwarves are laughing. The dwarves are torturing the elves. The elves are unnaturally contorted. The image is the symbol of The Avalanche of Death, a local dwarven government."

Oh yeah. The first elven caravan also came by. The beginnings of the Impure armor and weapon stockpile has begun. I've also decided that the Impure will have the crypt/mausoleum of the Pure as the entrance to their section. So that they may know what they should strive for.

End of update

Posted by: TheImmortalRyukan
« on: Today at 09:45:10 pm »
This turned Nazi really fast, and here at Bay12 we blink no eye.

... Guys, I'm worried about us

PURIFY! PURIFY! PURIFY!

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 01:18:28 pm »

I like that pure / purest separation.  But I'm thinking now based on traits. 
Lusty dwarfs = peasants. 
Martial Prowess = military. 
Ambition = nobles.

Or perhaps by Dreams.
Family = peasants / food service
Masterwork = skilled labor
Skill = military / miners.
None = noble
Art = engraver / haulers.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 02:01:32 pm »

I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, but you will find a majority of your dwarfs owning the same traits like skin color or hair color. In a reasonably old world, that is. Something about the genetic simulation means most of your civ ends up looking very similar to each other.

Nazis aside, you might want to find a different set of traits to define as pure. Think cults, you might choose a specific song, with skill in singing that song correlating to relative position in your forced society.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 04:09:03 pm »

Religion might work too, go pick those who like
Fortress Mountain Wealth = nobles
War Suicide Destruction = military

If they workship more than one, or no one, they are impure.

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2016, 05:00:35 pm »

I was thinking perhaps if they had 'very' as part of the facial descriptions they'd be Impure, but after looking at the 22ish I have now, perhaps there can be only like, if you have more than two 'very's or 'slightly/slight/whatever's they are considered Impure, one-two of either being Pure, and none being Purest? I also like the 'who do you worship' idea a fair bit, Sanctume. Hmm...or perhaps a mixture of them?

@Salmeuk; I didn't realize that it was a thing that happened, buuuut my world isn't very old. I think it's about 50+years? Maybe 60+. I'll need to check. It's still annoying though.

FORT TOUR

Here's the highest natural surface level of my map, and where a lot of workshops are located that need to go inside soon. I also need more effective weapons to get rid of those damn giant tortoises... Also incomplete walls to keep invaders from climbing over/allow our marksdwarves to shoot at them.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Main entrance to the fort and the entrance to the crypt/Impure sections. The wooden coffins were supposed to be used for the elves from a caravan we slaughtered, but they're not going into them, so I've disabled burial and will be changing that. Probably to statues.

Main fort's beginnings. Each stairwell is gonna be a different section, with some connections every now and then to make life easier for my poor dwarves, just with draw-bridge chokepoints. Left is stoneworking, middle is dining/temple/library/whatever, right is metal working. All three will have bedrooms in some fashion.

Food storage and Original 7 Bedrooms/Tombs. And farm that needs to be attached to main fort and sealed off from the outside. There's only four of the O7 Chambers carved out, but there will be more toward the inside of the stairwells. And one isn't needed anymore. He's a werecreature sooooo yeah. Also, smoothed bauxite looks amazing.

Soon-to-be-hopefully-legendary Diningroom in the middle. Stoneworking/related stuff to the left, metalworking to the right.

The crypt is on the same level as the dining room, and the sealed off area has a wereass inside. (aka: the infected O7 dwarf, Etur.). I will have the engraving for the tile in front of the constructed wall be designated (through 'd') as a warning. The sand rooms won't be used as crypt spaces. Probably as sand-picking-upping for glass disks to minecart-shotgun at our enemies. Only fully engravable stone locations are worthy for our Pure holding copper coffins! Maybe some tin too. And a silver statue of whoever is stored in that coffin once our blacksmithy-person is a high enough level to regularly produce masterworks. You can see our engraver in the bottom leftmost tomb, toiling away. She (I think) is one of the O7, a crossbow dwarf. Speaking of, I need to get the military organized for training at least once a year until we have more manpower should do.

Stone-related and Metal-related stockpiles. Stone stuff to the left, metal stuff to the right. Look at all that glorious bauxite. And some chalk and granite.

The WIP hospital. I might change this into a general overflow storage and move the hospital one lower because I want engravable pillars and walls in the various rooms patients will be staying in. And the WIP Purest bedrooms. Pure bedrooms will go on the other side. (Speaking of Purest/Pure/Impure, I need to go through and change their names to give them the various titles once I settle on what will be the conditions...)

All the citizens so far. (Taken long enough of time away for Etur to change back into a dwarf.)

And the wealth of our fort!

END TOUR

Part of the wealth, 3600 Urists of it is a boring scepter. Called The Monumental Violation (or something like that).

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2016, 08:11:33 pm »

Include mist generation in hospital for cleaning! :v

Bauxite and granite make for a beautiful combination.

So, what is pure?

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2016, 08:47:46 pm »

Include mist generation in hospital for cleaning! :v

Bauxite and granite make for a beautiful combination.

So, what is pure?

Uh....I don't know how to mistify stuff. It's prolly gonna just be a well for cleaning. :2 If I find a watery cavern anyhow.

Yes. The bloodred of Bauxite makes the perfect addition to any place dedicated for the utter eradication of your enemies. >:3 In other words, I plan on a dodging pit at some point with the walls lined with bauxite. And floors of silver and platinum. Or pitchblende. Actually, probably pitchblende. Because fuck your spindly goblin legs. Too bad I can't make bauxite spikes...

Pure is basically a tiny differentiation from 'Purest'. So in the original idea Purest would be black hair and copper skin. Pure would be black hair OR copper skin. Impure are the poor saps with neither. Basically the hierarchy is O7:Purest:Pure:Impure.

Pages: [1] 2