Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21

Author Topic: Let's make a Random Spell List.  (Read 14830 times)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
Re: Let's make a Random Spell List.
« Reply #180 on: October 09, 2016, 04:24:36 pm »

Caneghems Beacon [Light Magic Master/Water Magic Master/Dark Magic Expert | 50 Mana per casting]: Casting permits the user one of two options; place a beacon, which then decays in 2d20 days, or "recall" to a beacon placed previously, instantaneously teleporting the user to that location. This spell can be used in or out of combat, indoors or outdoors, and at an indefinite distance.

One of the most advanced and difficult spells ever invented, only surpassed by the hyper destructive Armageddon, the defensive Wiley's Impenetrable Shield, the horrible Ned's Bloody Tentacle, and the life-giving Resurrection. Truly the pinnacle of magecraft, this unique spell requires you to learn and master three separate elements, and expend a massive amount of energy simply setting it up. However, once set, the beacons cannot be altered, tampered with, or destroyed by the enemy; indeed, they cannot even be seen by anyone without knowledge of casting the spell. The mage who invented this spell, Archduke Jon Van Caneghem of Avlee, reportedly invented it on the spot in order to escape a horrific meeting of bureaucrats, lawyers, demons, and Video Game Programmers. Some say he's disappeared into another universe entirely, to gift his knowledge of magic to primitives in return for admiration and worship. Others say he teleported into a secret alchemy laboratory, deep under the mountains, where even dwarves dare not to dig. And some wizened whisper, in dark corners where others cannot hear, that he placed a beacon forward in time, to return when a wizard great enough to learn all his magics appear. To those few who believe it, learning to cast Caneghems Beacon is the first step on the road to mastering the mysteries of magic as a whole, and earning the attention of the greatest mage to ever exist.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 10, 2016, 08:23:26 am »

Welcome to Lawyer-Con(teleportation, banishment): The target is teleported to Lawyer-Con. After 10 turns, they and any lawyers they have signed contracts with are teleported back to the dungeon.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Sl4cker

• Bay Watcher
  • clouds are pretty :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 10, 2016, 09:11:48 am »

Final Gambit: The user thinks of any mortal being. Either kills the user or kills the being.
Quote from: Empiricist
I mean no one wants dead whales and abortion clinics juxtaposed with each other, but it's just something that happens! Like false vacuum decay!
carrot cakeu

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 12, 2016, 08:49:54 am »

Ned's Bloody Tentacle(blood magic, animation): All the blood in the room, except the caster's blood, is teleported to the caster's hand or equivalent, and then formed into a semi-solid giant tentacle that extends from the caster's hand(or equivalent). The tentacle prevents the use of the hand, but is under the caster's complete control. Any blood the tentacle touches is added to it.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 12, 2016, 09:00:10 am »

Shadow Pin - Casts a curse upon an enemies shadow, causing both that person and that shadow to be immobile. Destroying that person's shadow by applying light to the effected areas destroys the curse.

BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
  • I _drink_ stuff older than you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 12, 2016, 10:07:21 am »

Magic cookie (invocation, barrier): You get a sentient magic cookie that begs you to eat it, assuring you that it tastes wonderfully; it'll keep insisting that you eat it until you do something with/to it. It takes all of your concentration for 1d4 rounds to eat the cookie, but you can't be attacked while eating it. The magic cookie can be given away, but if it is eaten, destroyed by any means, or thrown away, it'll appear in someone else's inventory.
What does Maegil have in common with a frag grenade?
Answer: does not suffer fools gladly.

Your friendly mysanthropic machete-toting sail-sailing sailor nut job.
Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 12, 2016, 12:58:11 pm »

Ned's Bloody Tentacle(blood magic, animation): All the blood in the room, except the caster's blood, is teleported to the caster's hand or equivalent, and then formed into a semi-solid giant tentacle that extends from the caster's hand(or equivalent). The tentacle prevents the use of the hand, but is under the caster's complete control. Any blood the tentacle touches is added to it.
Will blood that is still in a living creature's body be teleported when the tentacle is formed?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 12, 2016, 07:37:54 pm »

Yes.

Part of why it's so horrible. Luckily it won't gib the caster.
~~~
*beat*(time magic): Everybody pauses. No actions can be taken next turn, by players and NPCs alike, but countdowns and the like still occur.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 12, 2016, 07:51:56 pm »

Padme's Assembly Ensemble [Earth Magic Expert/ 10 mana]: The caster can automate any action of less than three steps to be preformed repeatedly in a loop. To cast this spell requires the action to take place during the casting, an object to "lock" the spell onto in absolute terms, and an object for the spell to apply motive force to. The mana used in the casting is variable; however, 1 mana is used by the spell approximately every 10 minutes, with a greater drain depending on the weight of the object.

An old friend of the blacksmith, The farmer, and the wheelturner, this spells only weakness is the lack of staying power compared to coal engines. Many adventurers use this spell in dungeon raids as well!
Thou art I, I art Thou.
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 14, 2016, 01:06:37 pm »

What happens if you are in the wilderness, not in a room?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 14, 2016, 01:17:09 pm »

Room is promptly defined as "area". All blood within the "area" has the thing done to it.

Area is likely fairly large.
~~~
Monster of the Week(summoning): A giant space monster is dropped on top of the dungeon.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 14, 2016, 01:33:39 pm »

Godzilla fight time!(summoning):must be near monster that's at least 20 feet tall to cast spell. the spell causes another giant monster that's about the same height to appear and fight the target monster. for the duration of the spell, neither monster intentionally attacks anything but the other monster, however they can unintentionally hurt anything while battling the other monster. any other creatures in the range of effect do one of two things
  • if it is a monster as tall or taller than the two dueling, then it joins the fight
  • if is smaller than the two monsters, it can either run away, or fight the dueling monsters
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
  • I _drink_ stuff older than you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 14, 2016, 03:48:16 pm »

Whose feet? (curse): The spell searches the caster's history. If the word "feet" has been used in the recent past as a unit of measure, the caster becomes feetless.
What does Maegil have in common with a frag grenade?
Answer: does not suffer fools gladly.

Your friendly mysanthropic machete-toting sail-sailing sailor nut job.
Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 14, 2016, 03:54:33 pm »

Puppet Creature [Light Magic Grandmaster | 45 Mana]: Take control of one of your enemies, using their own brain against them! The spell lasts for 3 hours, and can control any enemy with a living brain.

What horror does a creature under the influence of Puppet Creature experience? Are they screaming inside, unable to control their limbs and blades as they slaughter their own allies before slicing open their own throat? Are they aware, as their whims and desires are subverted, turning all their mind towards serving the caster? Or do they never realize they were under the influence of the spell, subtle machinations of their own brain making sure that the caster is and always will be more important to them than any friend or family?

I have been under the influence of that spell. I have had the blood of my close friends, men and women I had trained with, lived with, loved as my own brothers and sisters, on my hands. And I still can't see anything wrong with it. That is the magic of Puppet Creature. They will never realize, without outside help, that the time they were under the spell was not their own mind, their own thoughts, their own actions. My memories still convince me it was my own doing, that I had been mistaken in seeing them as friends. The spell still lingers. I can't see anything wrong with it.

I like the idea that high-level spells tend to go full SMAC and have some horrifying implications. Especially Light Magic (electricity, magnetism, and rational thought) Dark Magic (Culture, History, Legend, and Memes) and Spirit Magic (Emotions, irrational thought, and death/life). Ever wonder why a person who was just resurrected screams bloody mary?
Thou art I, I art Thou.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 19, 2016, 06:53:48 pm »

Reaper's Blast(offensive, destruction): Fires a blast of destructive necrotic energy. When it hits a living target, it deals increased damage based on how wounded the target was(the more wounded, the more damage).

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21