Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Storing files online?  (Read 6719 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Storing files online?
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2016, 08:21:38 pm »

320? I never heard of that, but I guess it's possible. It's a 256 + 64 sized memory.
I hadn't tried to work it out, but that does ring true.

(Similarly, first Windows PC of my very very own had 40MB RAM. Came with 8, added 32 of my own immediately. First USB stick was 32MB.)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2016, 08:34:06 pm »

It's kind of amazing when you think that a new PC can have something like 1 million times the memory of one from about 1980. At that rate, by the early 2030s, they'll be shipping computers that come standard with 1TB of RAM.

I think we could barely conceive of the types of programs they'll be running that need 1000GB of RAM, but then again people in 1980 couldn't conceive of programs that would need gigabytes of working memory.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 08:38:05 pm by Reelya »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2016, 11:08:29 am »

I think we could barely conceive of the types of programs they'll be running that need 1000GB of RAM, but then again people in 1980 couldn't conceive of programs that would need gigabytes of working memory.

900GB of memory will be devoted to a lens flare effect on your desktop.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2016, 11:14:36 am »

900GB of memory will be devoted to a lens flare effect on your desktop.
It'd be a core (default, non-optional) feature on the MichaelBay12 port of Dwarf Fortress, obviously.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2016, 03:09:41 am »

320? I never heard of that, but I guess it's possible. It's a 256 + 64 sized memory.

I have a retro laptop with exactly that config, 64MB soldered and 256MB expansion (the max it will accept according to the manual).

I have encountered problems with Win2K being fussy but that might be OS-based, I've seen Win98 versions still with contemporary USB ports handle USB2, and suspect that'd continue to be the case with USB3 whilst still ignoring the additional (and optional) pins of that latter standard.

There's a lot of factors there. Win98 didn't natively support USB and needed 3rd party software to mount USB drives - that likely wouldn't work. 98 SE (second edition) had native support, and may or may not operate a newer controller depending on whether the controller was compatible with the older drivers or not - I'm going to assume a Win98 driver wouldn't exist for a newer controller.

Lastly, a lot of BIOSes have a "legacy" option for their onboard USB, which I believe allows then to show up as regular hard-disks for old OSs without native support. You'd need to reboot when [un]plugging, but otherwise that would probably work.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2016, 03:15:22 am »

I have a retro laptop with exactly that config, 64MB soldered and 256MB expansion (the max it will accept according to the manual).

We're talking about KB not MB here however. In the case of the 320kb machine it was probably 5 x 64 kb modules.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 03:23:30 am by Reelya »

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2016, 01:14:36 am »

Oh yes sorry I missed that. Yes it's likely to have been 5 sockets (or more accurately, 5 banks of chip sockets or chips directly soldered to the motherboard, ram sticks weren't a thing until later). The max config in the original IBM PC was 640 kB, in 64kB sections.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2016, 06:13:07 pm »

I hope that I am not hi-jacking this thread too much, but I am in a similar situation. I am working on a text & picture Let's Play for this forum, but I will need somewhere to put the images (to link back to). Preferably some service where you can create albums or do something similar to keep track of your images. About the only 'demand' is that it is free.

I would use Imgur, and indeed was going to, but their terms of service seems to say that using it for those purposes is forbidden. At least, as long as you are caught, of course, but nonetheless... And, quite honestly, if they would prefer to be less useful than they could, I will not stop them. Grr.

Thank you! (And I am awfully sorry is this is hi-jacking, it seemed like the best place to ask.)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2016, 09:00:57 pm »

What's the specific passage you're talking about in their ToS?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2016, 09:21:51 pm »

I'm not entirely sure about that passage, but that it what it appears to be.

" Also, don't use Imgur to host image libraries you link to from elsewhere, content for your website, advertising, avatars, or anything else that turns us into your content delivery network. "

Under 'Stuff Not to Do'. (https://imgur.com/tos)

Offloading screenshots in an album so that I can link to them from a LP thread here in the Bay is probably a content delivery jiggerypokery they would disagree with. I think they like to pretend they are some sort of social media site, first and foremost.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2016, 11:02:57 pm »

That's an unfair statement.

They like to "pretend" that they're a business who have to pay for bandwidth and storage. Except that's 100% true. They need to make enough revenue to pay for the servers, and that would be impossible if everyone hotlinked. They are first and foremost a social media site for sharing images, because how else are they got to get ad revenue to pay for the servers?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 11:15:07 pm by Reelya »

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2016, 11:30:29 pm »

Well, alright. I shall be off to the naughty step and think of what I have done. Why, I assumed they existed for free!
But yes, you are right. I do see the point, it is just the odd combination of the weird jollity of "Things to DO: have fun fun FUN! Make every day an Imgur daytm!" along with the slight irritation which rather chafes (hence the abuse. I do think I expressed it an awful lot more hostile than I intended. I'd do better reserving 'honestly' for honest occasions).

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2016, 11:38:42 pm »

You can in fact get yourself some free web hosting and upload files there manually. Should be enough for any game, except you'll need to use the company's web interface to upload stuff yourself.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2016, 11:44:22 pm »

Hmm. That is true, I hadn't thought of that. Probably the best solution, and it could be useful for other things in the future. Having their interface and branding seems like a rather minor drawback. Certainly a possilibity. Thank you kindly, that is food for thought.

As an aside, it's been oddly nostalgic, trawling through old image services and seeing how they've changed. Dear me, good old ImageShack has had a redesign.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2016, 11:56:56 pm »

in the distant past, I ran a tiny http server on some throw away hardware for hosting files on.

that was before ISPs decided that DIY server hosting was "bad, m'kay", and before the rise of serious ddos and hacking groups.  I eventually pulled it down when I found google had metcrawled it despite my robots.txt, and absurd abuse of all the signs and flags meant to say "DO NOT INDEX ME!!!" to metacrawlers, and found my host being added to pirate sites.  that gave me waaaay too much unwanted traffic, and was horrible the number of portscans and hack attempts I was getting per hour.

Google does not know the meaning of the words "private" and "no" when it comes to indexing content. thier crawler explicitly ignores about 2 DOZEN ways to advertise that you do not want to be indexed, and indexes anyway.

I would still be incined to host a small httpd (really, your home router already does it, it just does not expose it to the internet. A little reconfig, and it can host a few image files for simple sites like this one off of USB just fine) if I could keep it from getting indexed by the likes of google, and then having every chinese hacker on the net trying to pwn my server. 

in light of that, the use of a cloud service, like a small webhost, is a wise choice.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4