Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Storing files online?  (Read 6721 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Storing files online?
« on: September 01, 2016, 04:52:40 pm »

« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 04:54:18 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Storing files online?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 05:13:33 pm »

Maybe I'm being obvious but...dropbox?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 05:23:37 pm »

Dropbox, Google Drive, I wouldn't trust Microsoft but there is OneDrive as an option...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 06:25:35 pm »

Well google drive gives 15GB free space. Or 100GB for $2 per month. OneDrive recently dropped to 5GB free, and DropBox only gives ~2GB free, though you can complete the special offers and get it around 6-7GB. Friend-spamming can take it higher than that, but I never bothered.

If you record mp3s at a constant bitrate of 128kbps (which is decent enough music quality), then you can get 1MB per minute of audio. 1GB is therefore 16 hours of audio. Going to a variable bitrate, with e.g. a cap of 96kbps should give plenty more space.

The you just save the files to your local google drive folder, and use the automatic drive sync clients to copy them to the cloud. The only issue with generic storage would be in the rare instances where your harddrive failed after you recorded some audio, but before it was uploaded to the cloud, or needing files urgently before they synced.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 06:33:32 pm by Reelya »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 10:47:05 pm »

If you're paranoid about security, Mega uses your password as an encryption key, so not even they have access to your files, though you only have their word for it.

They also give 50 GB free storage.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 12:12:00 am »

If you're paranoid about security, Mega uses your password as an encryption key, so not even they have access to your files, though you only have their word for it.

Mistake 1. Important is not what they use as an encryption key, but that they do encryption in the browser, so that unencrypted files do not leave your computer.
Mistake 2. Since it's done in the browser, the code is available - no need to trust their word.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 12:33:02 am »

Mistake 1. Important is not what they use as an encryption key, but that they do encryption in the browser, so that unencrypted files do not leave your computer.
Mistake 2. Since it's done in the browser, the code is available - no need to trust their word.
Mistake 3. You haven't actually invalidated my recommendation.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 12:40:54 am »

Mistake 3. You haven't actually invalidated my recommendation.

Was I going to?

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 04:22:26 am »

For something self-hosted (so you don't need to rely on a third party's word/provision of the service) there's NextCloud (previously OwnCloud). Not for everyone but definitely the most 'secure' option.

As for 'commercial' options, you have Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, MEGA, and even something like GitHub if you're gonna be storing (mostly) text files/code, though that might require learning how to use Git (which is a useful skill to have nonetheless), but since what you upload to GH is public (I can't remember if they offer private repos for free now), it might not be the go-to option.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 08:21:35 am by Maks »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2016, 12:43:42 am »

Google Drive is pretty easy if you already use Gmail. As long as each of your recordings aren't several gigs in size, you can store a lot on there for free.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 10:25:46 am »

I was under the impression that apple stores all your uploaded music files in the cloud.

The file stored is a close relative of the song you uploaded.

And thusly also has some sort of device integration with icloud.

So with the integration and some sort of Apple device such as an ipod or an iphone... something or other.

It sounds like you are looking for something browser based though.

https://www.google.com/search?q=browser+based+music+storage&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 10:28:36 am by eerr »

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2016, 05:45:22 pm »

« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 02:38:00 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2016, 06:30:42 pm »

Yeah, get USB 3.0 and it'll just work.

you can use a synchronization program as well to get that "cloud" feeling. FreeFileSync works pretty well. You can "mirror" folders on any one drive to another folder, and set it up to batch any number of folder pairs.

There's also a 2-way option I use mostly, I sync both a laptop and PC to the same portable HDD, but very rarely it's gotten confused about what I wanted when a folder change on both machines separately.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2016, 07:43:29 pm »

Hell this thing: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pny-turbo-256gb-usb-3-0-flash-drive-black-gray/8052124.p?skuId=8052124 has more memory than my first computer did.
The first IBM compatible PC I used had an HDD of (I think) 20MB. The hard-soldered native RAM (no DIMM/SIMM/whatever slots, though chip-sockets might have been there to plug in additional DRAMs) measured in kB that wasn't even a power of 2. 320? But enough retrogeeking.

Question: is USB backwards compatible? Example: will USB 3.0 work on any USB drive?
USB standard is forward and backwardly compatible, running at the capability of the lesser between the hub controller level and the device controller level, for any not-completely-ancient hardware. Anything this millenium, I'd suggest - I have encountered problems with Win2K being fussy but that might be OS-based, I've seen Win98 versions still with contemporary USB ports handle USB2, and suspect that'd continue to be the case with USB3 whilst still ignoring the additional (and optional) pins of that latter standard.

(From memory, the best common level tends to start being negotiated according to which of the Data connections (+ or -) first pulses, and goes on from there.)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2016, 08:08:56 pm »

320? I never heard of that, but I guess it's possible. It's a 256 + 64 sized memory.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4