Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What exactly can go wrong in the current versions of DF?  (Read 1613 times)

Madmachine

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarfputer Project FTW
    • View Profile
What exactly can go wrong in the current versions of DF?
« on: September 01, 2016, 09:21:37 am »

I hear that tantrum spirals aren't really a thing anymore. Is there anything else that can go horribly wrong in the fortress? I liked tantrum spirals, honestly.

What should I look out for?
I am a Grammar Communist. I believe that the means of word production (i.e: dictionaries) should be seized, for the good of the people.

We are succeeding. You can tell, because the Oxford English Dictionary made an emoji word of the year.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What exactly can go wrong in the current versions of DF?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 09:49:44 am »

There is still loyalty cascades.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 10:56:41 am »

One of the most common forum questions is "why are half my dwarven work force dying in trees"...

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 11:39:50 am »

Minecart cyclotrons can kill dwarves repeatedly when a pet wanders in and dwarves go to retrieve the remains or clean the blood.

All dwarves that die drop their socks as call to get smashed by minecart, of course, as well as painting more blood to generate clean up jobs with.

Werebeast infection outbreak is probably one of the biggest threat to early fortresses, being able to arrive at 20 dwarves. Past that, (steel) FBs/titans can provide a troublesome threat, especially if they coat all your duck egg roasts in gecko sauce.

You can also flood your fort with water accidentally.

You can make sentient corpse pile into highly-traversed area and get tantruming dwarves still.

Trees, pathing and overproduction can kill your fort via FPS.

Undead hair is fort-ender if you're unable to deal with it.

There are other minor stuff, but those are the things that spring to mind for capabilities to kill over ten dwarves.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 11:42:42 am by Fleeting Frames »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 11:51:13 am »

In cases where there is waterfall embarks, tiles with 2/7 - 3/7 water flows are inviting paths to cross the river, but only to have water flow pressure that pushes them down to their deaths some z-levels below. 

Can embark where wagon is parked on frozen water and have maybe days to herd everyone to safety before it thaws. 

Flying undead on evil biomes are early fort enders.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 08:50:58 pm »

When magma goes horribly right.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 07:52:45 am »

If you miss them, go into the files and modify the dwarves' emotional tipping point to make them touchier.

Meddadog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 08:32:46 am »

If you miss them, go into the files and modify the dwarves' emotional tipping point to make them touchier.

can you please tell me how to do this? I know nothing of missing the files but really want to try that!

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 10:16:50 am »

Undead sieges can arrive very early in the game. If a necromancer comes along and reanimates some bodies, you're in for a hard time.

If the siege is particularly soon, it may even completely prevent the first dwarven caravan from coming, thereby greatly curbing your growth.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 02:00:46 pm »

Undead sieges can arrive very early in the game. If a necromancer comes along and reanimates some bodies, you're in for a hard time.

If the siege is particularly soon, it may even completely prevent the first dwarven caravan from coming, thereby greatly curbing your growth.
Yes, but all you need is a door to lock them out. They may still decide to siege you for a season or a year though (thus blocking caravans).

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 02:50:17 pm »

can you please tell me how to do this? I know nothing of missing the files but really want to try that!

If you navigate to your raw/objects folder, open up the file called "creature_standard.txt"

Inside, ctrl-f for "stress" and find the stress vulnerability token. it should look like this:

Code: [Select]
[PERSONALITY:STRESS_VULNERABILITY:0:50:100]
Modify it to something like these values:

Code: [Select]
[PERSONALITY:STRESS_VULNERABILITY:50:85:100]
I'm not sure if you need to regenerate your world, but it can't hurt to make sure.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 03:52:08 pm »

Werebeasts can ruin your day.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Haymaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2016, 04:16:55 am »

So can a titan and a bronze colossus. Sure, by the time they arrive your fort's military should be sufficient...

..With luck you can recover those losses before next bad thing happens, but luck is something Armok grants rarily

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2016, 04:37:38 am »

Eh, I'd rather face either of those than a werebeast.

- They're announced the moment they enter the map, not the moment your dwarves spot them. This means that even if you have no military or defences you could still get everyone inside and brick it up with no deaths occurring.  (If you need more time, just send out a sacrificial treecutter...Who, admittedly, might slay a weak titan on their own.)

- Barring good ranged attack or metal body, titans frequently are disappointingly yielding to decent weapon swings even from dwarves with just embark skills, and while I have not faced one yet bronze colossus is 1 wildlife cage trap away from being dining room decoration - and both of them can be baited for some archery training with bait and trap - even built after they appear, thanks to point 1.

- Even if a titan had husking syndrome - and they can't have one - it still couldn't cause loyalty cascade and you'd notice the spread by looking at inventories, not dozens of pages of combat logs or when it is causing lunapocalypse.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 04:42:45 am by Fleeting Frames »

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2016, 07:15:46 pm »

I'm a bit of a newbie so I haven't faced a titan yet, but I have had a werebeast.  I think the thing with werebeasts is that you need to inspect the combat logs closely.  Put anybody who had contact with it in a squad.  A day or two before the full moon comes, individually station each one to the far reaches of the map.  Burrow your citizens and close the main bridge (werebeasts being building destroyers...).  Try to keep the possibly infected out of eye-contact with each other.  When the full moon comes, take note of who is a were-beast.

After that, create a squad just for the were beasts.  Build a hut without a door, and the entryway facing the edge of the map, near the edge of the map.  A few days before the full moon, station them in the hut.  Do *not* engage in training! (because if they spar while transforming it will cause a loyalty cascade -- learned that the hard way).  Wait until they transform and then transform back.  Cancel orders.  You will probably not need to burrow your citizens unless you have some stupid visitor standing outside the hut (which can be fun!)

It is a bit of a PITA because the full moon changes from month to month (it is always 2 days earlier than the previous month).  You can keep an eye on the moon icon in the upper right hand corner and when it goes to waxing start doing the mental arithmetic.  Also if you get a siege you *must* send out the were-squad and lock the door until either they die or the full moon comes.  If they survive until the full moon, it is quite entertaining.

I had a were-capybara for 2 years until I decided to unleash him on some undesired guests.  For some reason I had one dwarf who ignored the burrows order and was slaughtered, causing a loyalty cascade.  It's easy to contain at that point though because the fighting is outside.  Just close the bridge until a winner emerges.  In my case the were-capybara turned back and was slain by one of the "guests".  I sent the militia out to kill him just in case he was infected, but they got caught up in the loyalty cascade.  Closed the gates and waited -- 3 dead, 4 in the hospital...  Another lesson learned.
Pages: [1] 2