Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarves are doing nothing (not even drinking)  (Read 1477 times)

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves are doing nothing (not even drinking)
« on: September 01, 2016, 06:18:01 am »

Screenshot: https://postimg.org/image/7qxa2q09x/#

All the dwarves just stand there, hungry, thirsty. Right next to booze/food piles. Typical. And really pisses me off more than anything else.
For the record: Military alert is inactive, none of the dwarves are in burrows, stocks are not forbidden, etc.  Latest DF, no mods.

What can be the cause of this?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 06:21:01 am by Urist Sonuvagimli »

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves are doing nothing (not even drinking)
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 07:16:47 am »

How many dwarves do you have?  How many drinks?

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 07:46:21 am »

I had a weird bug once where the dwarfs were acting as if they were restricted to burrows, but actually they weren't.  Deleting the burrows fixed the problem (and it didn't come back).

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 07:51:44 am »

Try painting d-b-c over the stockpiles just in case the contents have been 'f'orbidden. Such an issue should be visible (and correctable) from the inventory screen as well. I'd still double and triple check burrows, in particular civilian alerts, even if you've done so already.

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 11:14:18 am »

127 Dwarves, over 500 drink and food units. As I mentioned in the original post, all items are not forbidden. It might have something to do with the burrows - I had an alert active recently, and after disabling it, all dwarves do behave like they are still confined to some burrow. Though it doesn't explain why they do not drink - the "Emergency burrow" had food and drink on its territory.

Side note: I've deleted all burrows. No change, though kids DO drink and eat now.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 11:31:01 am »

It reminds me of a bug Tuftedstockades ran into with its' military. Ordering the military to kill a zombie fixed the problem at the time.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 12:09:50 pm »

127 Dwarves, over 500 drink and food units.

Is that 500 drink + 500 food, or 500 combined drink + food?  Because the screencap shows an awful lot of dwarves and not many barrels.  Do you have water available for them to drink if they can't get to booze?  My thought is that it could be the problem where 20 units of booze in one barrel can serve only 1 dwarf and not 20.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 02:01:34 pm »

Screenshot: https://postimg.org/image/7qxa2q09x/#

All the dwarves just stand there, hungry, thirsty. Right next to booze/food piles. Typical. And really pisses me off more than anything else.
For the record: Military alert is inactive, none of the dwarves are in burrows, stocks are not forbidden, etc.  Latest DF, no mods.

What can be the cause of this?

Post this on the bug tracker. I have had issues like this in the past. Try deleting the stock pile and recreating it.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 02:03:23 pm by Melting Sky »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 04:40:09 pm »

Try getting a burrow on the dwarves and assign them to it.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 05:32:43 pm »

Try getting a burrow on the dwarves and assign them to it.

Already tried that, but to no avail. I start to think, that some backstory is in order.

The story so far...

1. In Spring, goblin siege arrived. I locked the gate and set alarm.
2.Goblins pass through the Hall-o-Pain and get slaughtered by zombies captured from previous necro siege.
3.Zombies then escape confinement and flee off the map. I turned alarm off at this point.
4.Naturally, giblets cluttering Hall-o-Pain didn't get properly disposed of - dwarves slacked on cleaning.
5.Autumn brings another necro siege. One of the necros manages to slip inside before gates are closed. He then goes to Hall-o-Pain and raises all the rotten gobbo gibs.
6.Alarm is raised, militia comes to restore order. Necro is killed almost immediately.
7. Squad then proceeds to mop up undead giblets. One rotten Ngokang's head survives, and becomes invulnerable, it seems. No amount of bashing or hacking can bring it down.
8. Alert disabled. AND NOW all dwarves flood the hall-o-pain to pick up the trash. Next, they see the head, and everyone charges it.
9. After taking a month's worth of beating by 100 dwarves, Ngokang's head is still alive. I conclude it is invulnerable, and set alert to stop dwarves from collapsing due to exaustion.
10. Head managed to push 2 unconscious dwarves to death. The irony.
11. I order the hall-o-pain to be walled off. Additional burrow containmig stone is set, and mason assigned to it.
12. Hall-o-pain is isolated from the rest of the fort. I disable alarm. From now on, dwarves stop eating and drinking, though some still perform jobs.
13. Necro siege arrives. It brings some LIVE (!) goblins (not undead) along, and the entire mob of zombies just camps at the southern edge of the map.

Tested it once again and yes, It seems that dwarves are stuck in the last alert burrow state. I've created a burrow directly on top of the booze stockpile, set alert to it, then (after dwarves gathered there) disabled it. Yet, even with no alert dwarves still stood there, not moving an inch.

Damn, it was a nice fort. I even managed to trap a fire-breathing flying FB and build an incinerator around it. They say losing is fun, but in my case, it cannot be more grim.
P.S: Not all is lost. Some (very few) dwarves drink and eat! I counted 3. I will just call it natural selection and move on.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 06:08:41 pm by Urist Sonuvagimli »

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 06:18:16 pm »

Another update:

This is getting interesting. I've just noticed, that the militia were set to "Active training". Yet, all 4 squads were at the burrows with the civilians. Then I changed their state to "inactive", and it opened the floodgate:

https://postimg.org/image/xjrj7cm6b/

All liquor and food was consumed in seconds. No Idea what was the connection between militia orders and civilian alert. However, 95% of dwarves still don' perform jobs, so starvation will find them, eventually.

Also, consider this weird siege:

https://postimg.org/image/5sbgjc8ij/

Obviously, there are living goblins and dwarves along with the undead that are NOT necromancers. What in the world? Why they didn't get eaten instantly?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 06:22:36 pm by Urist Sonuvagimli »

DMT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2016, 08:24:55 pm »

This is a really weird glitch

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2016, 03:03:23 am »

Undead sieges often have non necromancer living "handlers". I don't know why and how, but I've found it's not unusual to get an undead siege with one or two non necromancer handlers. Maybe they're apprentices with a skill too low to register?

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2016, 05:11:26 am »

Undead sieges often have non necromancer living "handlers". I don't know why and how, but I've found it's not unusual to get an undead siege with one or two non necromancer handlers. Maybe they're apprentices with a skill too low to register?

This doesn't explain why goblins show up. Immortal beings do not aspire to become necromancers.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2016, 06:11:16 am »

This doesn't explain why goblins show up. Immortal beings do not aspire to become necromancers.
And yet, I think, they do become necromancers occasionally (might be a way to achieve their "rule the world" goal?). I fact, I think I once saw a black fortress described as a goblin one.
Pages: [1] 2