Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Initium - A text based MMORPG  (Read 3287 times)

Blade312

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Initium - A text based MMORPG
« on: August 31, 2016, 11:51:37 pm »

https://www.playinitium.com/landing.jsp
https://www.reddit.com/r/initium
Quick start guide - https://www.playinitium.com/quickstart.jsp

Initium is a text based mmorpg that you can play for free in most browsers, including on mobile and consoles. You fight monsters, get stronger, fight more monsters, and maybe run your own shop. The game is updated relatively frequently, and has a friendly community that is very welcoming to new players.

Some features include turn based combat that uses dice rolls in a similar way to DnD, a completely player run economy, permadeath, and semi-randomized item values. Planned features include claiming and defending territory and crafting items.

E: Feel free to ask for help in the game chat!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 11:57:11 pm by Blade312 »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Initium - A text based MMORPG
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 01:43:35 am »

... so it's a fairly standard MUD? 'Cause that's what I'm getting out of that advertising blurb, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 09:22:04 am »

Care to sell us on this a bit more? My initial impression from the website is that it's the lovechild of a 90's browser RPG and a stock DikuMUD.

In a world where you can telnet into a MUD with 20 years of development under its belt on a toaster, what's the hook that sets this game apart?
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

pondicherry

• Bay Watcher
  • Too lazy to write something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 10:08:22 am »

Yeah... please tell us more.
"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then Stop."

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 11:06:39 am »

"Initium has a Rogue-like gameplay style that features perma-death"

Permadeath in an MUD?
Tell me more.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 01:17:54 pm »

So I had a quick play (you can create burner accounts to have a mess around) and it's basically a MUD-lite with buttons instead of typing. It also doesn't have some of the...eccentricities that MUDs tend to have and is a bit more of a straight forward MMORPG.

However, it's a really slow going - you have to wait for each page to load up when you click for a different location which turned me straight off it. More than that, it's kinda basic RPG to the point of pointlessness. I have no idea why you'd go for it instead of a proper MMO or a proper MUD.

Don't get me wrong, I think there's a market for that kinda game if they had a proper interface instead of trying to be a MUD and something to set it apart. Currently it's just snore.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 02:50:22 pm »

So I had a quick play (you can create burner accounts to have a mess around) and it's basically a MUD-lite with buttons instead of typing. It also doesn't have some of the...eccentricities that MUDs tend to have and is a bit more of a straight forward MMORPG.

So.... no orphans is what you're saying?

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 02:59:13 pm »

However, it's a really slow going - you have to wait for each page to load up when you click for a different location which turned me straight off it. More than that, it's kinda basic RPG to the point of pointlessness. I have no idea why you'd go for it instead of a proper MMO or a proper MUD.

Don't get me wrong, I think there's a market for that kinda game if they had a proper interface instead of trying to be a MUD and something to set it apart. Currently it's just snore.

Thanks, that's the relevant information I was hoping for.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 03:45:29 pm »

Yeah, I played for half an hour and called it good. There's a basic system there, but I'd like something more - crafting, magic, building... to have something to do in between killing endless trolls one by one.

Thunkit

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 07:45:38 pm »

The game is still very much in development. According to the lead dev it's only 20% complete. Really though it's a particularly excellent game to play while at work or school. This is a very common sentiment among the community. There is even an article about that very thing, I'll see if I can find it...

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 05:46:19 pm »

There should be a term for objects you carry to satisfy a psychological need for stimulation on the go without much concern for quality or health. Kind of like how "snack" is different from "meal".
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 06:32:19 pm »

Pretty sure "distraction" get used like that fairly often. Think there's one or two other ones that are mostly the same meaning.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2016, 04:43:25 am »

Can't work out some of the icons. What's the fifth icon in the row with Store Management, Store Close/Open, ?Grouping?, Duelling? and then...?

And what is that crossed-out thing next to Explore (Location)? Something I can't do? Can't make it out.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2016, 06:34:32 pm »

How active are new updates and the like ? OP ?