Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: 'Tutorial' Fort  (Read 5462 times)

Shalax

• Bay Watcher
  • Learning To Dorf
    • View Profile
Re: 'Tutorial' Fort
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2016, 10:19:32 am »

The "do everything" fort is what I think making a tutorial fort "feel tedious." 

I think my issue is that I do spend time looking over the starting 7, and plan what roles they fit in.  So instead of select profile and embark, I spend time checking dwarf details and planning.

As for the tutorial part, I feel confident showing whatever topic as if I am doing a succession fort type approach.

I mean, there is always the wiki's do this, then this, then this.  But I think it would be fun for me to link the tasks and steps with some kind of story / plot / role playing.  Make screen shots and give context to the step-by-steps.

Anyway, when migrants show up, I'm torn to whether spend time and plan their new roles; or just say f-it, they are now peasant haulers or recruits; until a project needs more.

Or, a more cheesy way is to set pop-cap to 20 maybe, then embark with 20 using DFTools, and even tweak the gender, orientations to 10 marriage capable couples; buff all their stats to 2500/5000 so it is not like fastdwarf, but not so slow either. 

But population aside, the tutorial portion still comes down to narrowing the tasks to objectives so there is direction or list of things to build. 

I find myself doing 3 or more things at once, that when summer arrives, some are partially done only because there are only 7 dwarfs working all the needed jobs.
Do bear in mind that newbies will struggle to figure out whaat to do and thereby may make far less decisions at a time and perform tasks much less often; like wall up in case of a siege. Speaking of sieges, how'dya think we should get a siege that we can use as an example? Mod the goblins to deal almost no damage/be super slow so they have time to figure out how to mobilize the military?
GENERATION 29
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2016, 10:38:16 am »

....Yeah, I try to designate as much as possible at once as well before unpausing. At embark, this mostly means layout, lower priority cavern seeking, tree cutting, fishing/drinking zones, deconstructing the wagon, and ramps underneath to bring things on it underground, temporary carpentry and such, depending on what I bought, setting up squads if I brought any military...could also include military alert burrow for safety now that I think of it.

Hm. Looking at wiki minecart article, it include very few complete designs; most things on it are more like lego pieces.

Very good lego pieces, mind you.

Of course, you'd realistically double on most designs to show both roller and impulse ramp version, so not something you'd do in standard fort.

Though the same applies to showcasing a watergun, cart grinder and above-smasher in same fortress.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2016, 10:50:48 am »

Yeah, i plan to make a fortress where there is lets say a waterreactor with all the notes, and an area in which to build it yourself. I also had the rather macabre idea of using corpses to label stuff. Of course, it'll only work in ascii
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2016, 10:55:24 am »

Do bear in mind that newbies will struggle to figure out whaat to do and thereby may make far less decisions at a time and perform tasks much less often; like wall up in case of a siege. Speaking of sieges, how'dya think we should get a siege that we can use as an example? Mod the goblins to deal almost no damage/be super slow so they have time to figure out how to mobilize the military?

My embark has 2 towers as neighbors to hope at least have some undead visitors early on.  Nothing like show casing arena.

I did put high beast and high savagery, which I hope to get early were-visitor as well.

But I have not played beyond autumn.  I have replay spring 3 times already to get a feel for how fast things get done constructing above ground.

Can also set No Invaders at least in the first 2 years or until 80 pop is reached.

Shalax

• Bay Watcher
  • Learning To Dorf
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2016, 08:19:21 pm »

This gives me an idea if you guys don't mind putting out some extra effort. Different forts trying to cope with different things; sieges, plagues, etc, unhappy forts. This will, along with a note for each specific scenario on what to do, encourage them to figure stuff out; like a mist generator for the unhappy fort, a dwarven bathtub for the plague, and a corridor of pain for the siege, or else how to mobilize military
GENERATION 29
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2016, 09:57:39 am »

Well, I started Teachfortress to get it started.

Maybe we can use this thread to post more ideas or get more input as I'm sure you guys can upload stuff with your forts and projects.

Anyway, I had to commit to using a world gen, so I uploaded that part, but forgot to keep a save of "day 1 embark with the starting 7."

I am working to building up to a save at the point, and I'm going at a casual pace so I don't burn out. 

Plans
1. done. Embark maps, embark starting skills, embark items.
1a. done. Assign labor vanilla, assign labor Dtherapist
2. done. Things to do: Designate Standard/Marker, Chop Trees, Dig Stairs
2a. done. Mason, Macro
3. done. Farm Above and Below
4. in progress. Carpenter, Wood, Bed, Barrel, Bucket, Wheelbarrow
5. Seed and Plants, Drinks and Prepared
6. Dig Rooms, Dine

I am probably overthinking things.  Example #3.

I have screen shots of a simple channel surface (z148), expose 3x7 dirt, dig below to make is 7x7 (z147), then dig another 7x7 (z146).
I then intend to roof over the 3x7, so I can have 3 1x7 above ground farms plots, and 3 1x7 for below ground farms. 

My issue is that "is easy and fast to do" and I am ready to work on another task, but I have to wait for the miners to dig stuff. 
So then I finish the farm plots in z147, but the z146 was stone / magnetite and slower to mine--which then I forget to update that is part of the task#3.

I then go ahead start flooring, and I realize that flooring is part of #3.

All the while, I update my notes, and only then the flow of the step-by-step kinda fits in for a post.
So it's all just slow going.

And then, I kinda am not satisfied without pictures; with redundant text of the step-by-steps.

I am thinking of the tutorial videos I've watched over the years; and pausing and bookmarking and annotating the actual useful portion of the video.
And at the same time, I have a corresponding note of the context of the video.  So I am trying to tie it all in together.

From a certain perspective, it seems redundant.  But it's difficult to grasp if a new player will get it.

TLDR; no TLDR here, this is not reddit. :) post away your ideas and input, and let's use this to discuss.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2016, 10:32:58 am »

I'll do a template fort. You'll see ;)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2016, 10:44:24 am »

Template?  Like a bunch of 11x11 grids separated by 5 roads, and each is a miniature fortress with gates and and it's own dry moat?

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2016, 10:50:15 am »

No, just build eg. Water reactor, Add 'N'otes, Provide an area nearby to build your own.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2016, 10:58:58 am »

Ahh, yeah, I have some plans for that when I start a project that includes cistern, well, hospital, and water tap from brook. 

I did disable aquifer for the world gen I am using, but the brook will serve well for water source needs.

Lots of fun things can come after an expandable power source.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2016, 11:17:52 am »

Its basically not a fortress, but collection of things. DFhack will help me a lot to do this.

Shalax

• Bay Watcher
  • Learning To Dorf
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2016, 12:27:49 pm »

Let's not forget about the !!FUN!! that can be had with cage  traps and taming shit.
War GDS anyone?
GENERATION 29

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2016, 02:59:44 pm »

Not Toady Anyone. They got removed in 42.04, though trivial to mod back in.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2016, 03:12:42 pm »

Heyas. So, in the fort,

I am making enough furnitures for 7 bed rooms. 

I am going to work on farm, plant gather, and brewing next while I dig some space for 7 luxury 3x3 bedrooms, and hopefully enough stones to make 10 tables and 10 thrones for a dinning room. 

Speaking of dinning, do I need to make a dinning hall still?  Or is this replaced with meeting room turned tavern for citizens only?

After this, I would probably do a save unless there is a must to do.

Branch 1. I can branch to doing military, barracks, and make weapons and armor since there are magnetite ores.
Branch 2. I can work on butcher, tanner, leather, garbage atom smasher.
Branch 3. Or make an above ground bunker with raising bridge just in case necro comes soon.  It's spring and we have 2 Tower neighbors.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2016, 05:06:10 am »

Regarding dining: I find that dwarves will go to eat on any set of table+chair, even without being designated as dining room or part of a meeting area (ex. in Deathgame they went to eat in jail - however, checking now in DT, no happy thoughts after eating something they didn't care for).

...Okay, I just watched a dwarf pick up a roast and haul it to the nearest table that wasn't assigned as free dining room though was part of a dining room, then not put it on table and eat sitting on chair. That same dwarf did have previously a happy thought about dining, tho.

Assigning that table as grand dining room did get the dwarves to put food on it and be happy for dining in a legendary dining room, though.

...Hm. Maybe...*unhides tables and chairs* *Dwarves still eat in jail* *dwarves still eat in stockpiles, despite free assigned and unassigned tables in legendary dining room+tavern they're standing in*

...Anyway, because of not getting happy thought dining in jail I'd recommend making all table and chair pair dining rooms, but it seems those count against library stocks - though not enough to not sit on chairs while reading, not sure about tables.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4