Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: 'Tutorial' Fort  (Read 5457 times)

Shalax

• Bay Watcher
  • Learning To Dorf
    • View Profile
'Tutorial' Fort
« on: August 31, 2016, 09:50:12 am »

So i'm a relatively new player to DF. Is there anyway we can get a basic fort up that anyone can use for the current version with protips on how to do stuff? I feel that a tutorial fort would make life a lot easier, even if the Toady One hasn't made one officially
GENERATION 29
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
Re: 'Tutorial' Fort
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 10:33:29 am »

Seems like a good idea
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 11:45:08 am »

I can probably do something like this for fun.

And for any project, let's write down objectives.

I've seen plenty of videos, and there are small nuggets of good info, but watching videos just take more time without bookmark and time stamp annotation on when the actual info is found.

What is in a basic fort that the wiki does not cover though?

Shalax

• Bay Watcher
  • Learning To Dorf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 01:39:09 pm »

I can probably do something like this for fun.

And for any project, let's write down objectives.

I've seen plenty of videos, and there are small nuggets of good info, but watching videos just take more time without bookmark and time stamp annotation on when the actual info is found.

What is in a basic fort that the wiki does not cover though?

I kind of meant a fort that people can start to replicate, as once they see a running fort, then they can try building a replica, and in the process, learn from it. Like later saves can be the fort growing, which they can try to replicate as well. Like an objective game; achieve this in your fort by year xxx
GENERATION 29
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 02:31:17 pm »

I've though of some "objective" game, like in those old MMO game like EverQuest. 

I had this premise to build above ground town, starting with A sheriff (a dwarf, but serves as the NPC to drive the story or objectives), and 6 peasants/laborers.

A few things I can think of.
1. Secure the Wagon House. 
1.1 Find a flat area to fit 7x7 stockpile for wood.
1.2 Assign a wood cutter to chop down 10 trees near by (make sure battle axe is included in the embark)
1.3 Have the peasants haul the wood to the stockpile.
1.4 Have the peasants construct walls and stairs around the wagon, and a roof (within a 9x9 floor plan, 11x11 wall perimeter). (image).

2. Furnish the Wagon House.
2.1 Promote a peasant labor to a Carpenter and Building Designer (Architect). 
2.2 Have the carpenter build a shop next to the wood stockpile.
2.3 Order carpenter 1 door, 1 chest, 4 beds, 2 chairs and 2 tables.
2.4 Install the furnitures inside the Wagon House.

something like this?
1.5 Con

Shalax

• Bay Watcher
  • Learning To Dorf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 02:35:34 pm »

It sounds good. Perhaps a mod could be created to make this an official thing? Modders, if you hear this, please make this a thing. Then it won't be hard to learn, but fun to, instead.  Perhaps it could even tell you what buttons to press as an added bonus  ;D
GENERATION 29

Shalax

• Bay Watcher
  • Learning To Dorf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 02:52:36 pm »

It sounds good. Perhaps a mod could be created to make this an official thing? Modders, if you hear this, please make this a thing. Then it won't be hard to learn, but fun to, instead.  Perhaps it could even tell you what buttons to press as an added bonus  ;D

And as an addition, it can have a detailed explanation of what skilled are needed and which can make life easier, but aren't quite required straight away at embark,
GENERATION 29

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 04:23:49 pm »

Why mod?

Shalax

• Bay Watcher
  • Learning To Dorf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 04:48:39 pm »

Why mod?

So that we can have like adventure mode quests but for fortress mode, that shit, directives for new players
GENERATION 29

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 05:37:19 pm »

I’d suggest visiting the dwarf fortress wiki: it has a pile of tutorials.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Tutorials

This is the tutorial that taught me DF. It’s a bit out of date by now, but still followable.

https://afteractionreporter.com/2009/02/09/the-complete-and-utter-newby-tutorial-for-dwarf-fortress-part-1-wtf/

You are probably best off starting your own fort and following a basic-fortress guide rather than trying to interpret an existing fort: actually doing things in dwarf fortress isn’t all that hard, and the basics are all pretty intuitive (set up farms in soil for food and a still for booze, build a room underground with a stockpile to bring everything inside, then build workshops to make furniture for bedrooms and a dining room) but working out which buttons you need to push to actually do them can be a nightmare.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 12:56:10 am »

Why mod?

So that we can have like adventure mode quests but for fortress mode, that shit, directives for new players

I don't think that is possible.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2016, 02:37:11 am »

I feel like it is possible to use Sanctume's objectives idea :
- You would have a save at state 1, and a list of written objectives (like chop down 10 trees and such).
- Filling all objs. would bring you to state 2.
- If the objectives headlines are too hard for you to understand, you could reveal some quidelines (like "to chop down a tree, you need to designate trees to be cut, make sure you have an axe though, and a dwarf with tree cutting turned on). Images could be a plus.
- If quidelines are still too hard, you could simply load a fortress save at state 2 and play from it.
- Then, by the end of the serie (State 42 at least :P ), you'd have a basic running fort, which you built following steps/objectives, with tips, and even saves if a State is too hard for you.

That sound kind of Fun, I will eventually do that. That sure would be Fun to play ! Even for experienced players.

with protips on how to do stuff?

Actually, that made me think of something. This time, this is not newby-tutorial based.
I've played quite some DF, but I still don't understand some player constructions or build ideas. Like, why is there a pump there ? What does this lever do ? Why ? Why ??!!
Most of the time, Notes are not there, and the explaination of the build is lost on forums. And since you don't know the build, you can't wiki it.

Now the idea ! We could make a Wiki Fortress ! :)
I believe it would be possible to get a basic fortress built on, and in this fortress, replicate many useful devices. Some very well know (pump stacks, water reactors, garbage dumps), and other less (honeymoon rooms, minecart 1x1 stockpiles, pressure plate).
But these devices would be largely Noted, with names and such, and whatever the creator feels.
Basically, the whole fort would be documented, and any player could add one of his devices to it, and explain it.
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Shalax

• Bay Watcher
  • Learning To Dorf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2016, 05:02:21 am »

I feel like it is possible to use Sanctume's objectives idea :
- You would have a save at state 1, and a list of written objectives (like chop down 10 trees and such).
- Filling all objs. would bring you to state 2.
- If the objectives headlines are too hard for you to understand, you could reveal some quidelines (like "to chop down a tree, you need to designate trees to be cut, make sure you have an axe though, and a dwarf with tree cutting turned on). Images could be a plus.
- If quidelines are still too hard, you could simply load a fortress save at state 2 and play from it.
- Then, by the end of the serie (State 42 at least :P ), you'd have a basic running fort, which you built following steps/objectives, with tips, and even saves if a State is too hard for you.

That sound kind of Fun, I will eventually do that. That sure would be Fun to play ! Even for experienced players.

with protips on how to do stuff?

Actually, that made me think of something. This time, this is not newby-tutorial based.
I've played quite some DF, but I still don't understand some player constructions or build ideas. Like, why is there a pump there ? What does this lever do ? Why ? Why ??!!
Most of the time, Notes are not there, and the explaination of the build is lost on forums. And since you don't know the build, you can't wiki it.

Now the idea ! We could make a Wiki Fortress ! :)
I believe it would be possible to get a basic fortress built on, and in this fortress, replicate many useful devices. Some very well know (pump stacks, water reactors, garbage dumps), and other less (honeymoon rooms, minecart 1x1 stockpiles, pressure plate).
But these devices would be largely Noted, with names and such, and whatever the creator feels.
Basically, the whole fort would be documented, and any player could add one of his devices to it, and explain it.
This is what i meant. If we can see player creations, their inner workings, learn how to defeat sieges with basic military, DO all this stuff after having a first hand demonstration; it's much easier to learn from then just text from a wiki page. The Wiki fortress sounds like a great idea. Maybe we could have it as a style of succession fort, with each new player adding something else to it.
EDIT: I just saw that succession fort bit, or what i see as implied succession fort.
GENERATION 29

Shalax

• Bay Watcher
  • Learning To Dorf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2016, 05:36:35 am »

And, from what i've read about Boatmurdered, we need a megaproject doomsday device in there somewhere.
GENERATION 29

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2016, 09:36:06 am »

Oh man, this is tedious stuff.  Or at least the OCD and Perfectionist in me, have restarted 2x last night.
And basically abandon the attempt when df.exe stop responding sometime after mid summer as I did not feel like re-doing the progress of 11 slow dwarfs.

Now as far as "series of states" that is basically 1 save upload for each "state" of the tutorial.  That is simply too much, for few "gains."

So there is logistics, and logical check points for such save state.

Some thoughts.  I mean, these are in the wiki already, right?

1. "Start Fortress" Upload a world-gen that is ready to start fortress.
1.1 Include tutorial step-by-step on choosing the embark location.  This includes World Map, Region Map, and Local Map.
1.2 Include UHKM local map resize, and uhkm local map movements. 
1.3 Include descriptions for each tabs: F1 F2 F3+ biomes, Neighbors, Elevation, Topology view?
1.4 And then Embark / Prepare Journey, which leads to more tutorial on Embark Points, Embark Items, Embark Skills, Fortress Name, Group Name, and probably Symbol.

Now I've seen plenty of videos use the default embark profiles to move things along faster.  But at the same time, there are plenty of tweaks one can do.  I actually spend some time checking the stats of the starting 7 dwarfs and write an outline of their roles, usually in the format of: 
"Nick Name" First Name, Last Name, Custom Profession Title
(dream): fam = family, mw = masterwork, skill, art, rule = rule the world.
gender orientation: m = male, f = female, a = asextual, mm / ff = homosexual, mf = bisexual.
key personality.  compassion, duty, curious, prowess, brave, CHS=can handle stress, brawl
key preference. steel / plat, weapons, armor, furniture, or nil = no item preference.

And I can't quite convey how I process the info above and determine that Urist will be a good Military, or Noble, or whatever.

I also find it tedious to wait for 7 dwarfs to construct 2z tall above ground made of logs, while waiting for 1 wood cutter.
Which makes me start thinking either go dfhack fastdwarf 1 1
or use DFTools and embark to 40 dwarfs.
Which defeats the purpose of a tutorial.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4