Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Grandest Pyramid Ever Constructed  (Read 24041 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
The Grandest Pyramid Ever Constructed
« on: June 05, 2008, 11:37:00 pm »

Fellow Dwarfs, I give you the most stunning, impressive, massive construction ever made by dwarkind: Sungate, the Great Pyramid.

Map: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-2856-sungate
Download Save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=206

Allow me to explain.

I started this baby way back when 33b was the new thing.  I have worked on it off and on ever since then, watching it run ever slower as the object count increased.

I did cheat a little.  I turned off sieges, artifacts, and all that nonsense.  I upped the dwarf speed to 1 and turned off feelings when they started to tantrum.  I still let them sleep, eat, and drink, though, and I never cheated in reactions to generate building materials.

The whole thing (above ground, anyway) is made from marble blocks.  The marble was mined from below and then carved into blocks by hand by my faithful dwarf minions.  Underground I continued the pyramid shape and smoothed all the stone floors.

I didn't do everything I planned to, because my computer started to choke.  It now takes me about ten minutes to open the save, and fifteen to save it again (less if I just rebooted my computer, but seriously, how often can I be expected to do that?).  See my points of interest on the map for explanations of some of these things.

I now consider it as close to complete as it will ever get, at least by my hands.  My computer can't handle it anymore, and honestly, I'm sick of looking at the damned thing.  But I think I should get some sort of prize for completing it after all this time.  Like, money or something, right?

A note of warning!  I finished it on my old version, 33d, and the save had a bug or two.  When I upgraded from 33b to 33d, I stopped getting immigrants and caravans, and my dwarfs stopped having babies.  (This is one reason I never upgraded it again).  I did import the save to 38c, though, and it runs okay, though I didn't spend much time with it.  You may be best off abandoning and reclaiming it to do any further work.

The most important thing about this pyramid is that someone uses it.  I promised to build it a long time ago, and everyone was promising all kinds of cool stuff for it, but it's been a while and I'm frightened that all my work will be for naught.  So please, if your computer can handle it, build me something beautiful!  Make murals, create an adventurer's nightmare with booby traps, or just turn it into a thriving civilization, but use it, please, for the love of Armok, use it!

Shot of how many blocks were in use, about 90% of the way through construction:

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Grandest Pyramid Ever Constructed
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 11:49:00 pm »

I am amazed. That is a truly awesome pyramid. However when a more complex physics system is introduced to DF I can imagine it collapsing under its own weight. This would make an even more amazing movie.

Well done.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 11:53:00 pm »

Thank you very much!  

Now, go do something with it!  It's got all the ore and wood and coal and gems and obviously stone that you could ever want!

:D

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 12:08:00 am »

Sorry I wouldn't be able to run a fortress that size, my PC is a load of carp. However I am sure that others would be glad to expand on your masterpiece.

Run Comrades

• Bay Watcher
  • Jovian Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/acylon
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 12:30:00 am »

quote:
I upped the dwarf speed to 1 and turned off feelings when they started to tantrum. I still let them sleep, eat, and drink, though ...  

To build a giant pyramid huh? This sounds like the slave challenge to me...

Very impressive though!

polecat

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 12:41:00 am »

would you take a picture of it with the 3dwarf utility?

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 12:43:00 am »

I thought you quit making this.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 02:15:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by polecat:
<STRONG>would you take a picture of it with the 3dwarf utility?</STRONG>

This thing is HUGE, so huge that the default view distance in 3dwarf cuts it off.  So huge that 3dwarf was chugging just trying to render everything. sheesh.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 04:29:00 am »

one word: ramps

the entire surface should be covered in ramps, to make a smooth pyramid.

It would be epic win... well, more so.

Oh hell! and make the top 2 or 3 layers be coated in gold or silver!

Like the pyramid of Giza  :D

[ June 06, 2008: Message edited by: MuonDecay ]

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 06:40:00 am »

:D but don't expect me to post about it too soon, it will probably take years (REAL years), my computer barely handles it...

Also, what's the max possible height we can build at in fortress mode?

<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 07:40:00 am »

That is, by a very long way, the most massive DF construction I've ever come across, and probably the largest ever built.  I certainly hope - very much hope - that you did not place the blocks one-by-one, but had some sort of automation going, like a macro or utility.

Also, how are your hands?  If they're cramped and sore, I can suggest some helpful exercises to ease the tendons.

quote:
Originally posted by Poltifar:
<STRONG>Also, what's the max possible height we can build at in fortress mode?</STRONG>
You can build floors at the highest z-level.  Walls you can build only one level below.
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 08:34:00 am »

:eek:

Of Legendary Awesomeness!

I'm afraid my PC won't be able to handle this baby either. Never play bigger than 4x4 for FPS's sake

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 08:47:00 am »

I know mine couldn't handle it.

You see, I have two cores... which, as far as DF is concerned, is worse than one.

Le sigh.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 08:53:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Fedor:
<STRONG>That is, by a very long way, the most massive DF construction I've ever come across, and probably the largest ever built.  I certainly hope - very much hope - that you did not place the blocks one-by-one, but had some sort of automation going, like a macro or utility.
</STRONG>

I did, in fact, place them one-by-one, no macros or utilities used whatsoever.

And my hands do hurt.  That's why it took so damned long to build the thing.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys.  This is worth the many hours of my life I put into my masterpiece!

Now I'm gonna go play a regular fortress, like a somewhat sane person.

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2008, 10:08:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Sappho:
<STRONG>

I did, in fact, place them one-by-one, no macros or utilities used whatsoever.

And my hands do hurt.  That's why it took so damned long to build the thing.</STRONG>

Righto.  You don't want to ignore that hurt - it can cause serious problems if not addressed.

Whenever my hands cramp up or become sore, I perform a pair of exercises.
1) Stretch your arms straight out in front of you.  Make fists.  Turn fists downwards, stretching the top tendons.  Hold for about 45-60 seconds.
2) Stretch your arms straight out in front of you.  Spay your hands wide.  Turn them upwards, stretching the bottom tendons.  Hold for about 45-60 seconds.

Do not force the stretch excessively.  Do not bounce or jerk - maintain a steady stretch.  Do three repetitions, twice a day.  If problem persists for more than a week or becomes worse, see a professional.

Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.
Pages: [1] 2 3