Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Grandest Pyramid Ever Constructed  (Read 24050 times)

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
Re: The Grandest Pyramid Ever Constructed
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2008, 10:13:00 am »

Hmmm, I never knew how to stretch my forearm muscles/tendons before.

Ow.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2008, 10:22:00 am »

Actually I already have tendinitis (from a non-computer-related repetitive strain injury) so I have exercises to do already to strengthen and stretch my wrists.  Good advice, though!  Everyone who uses the computer a lot should know a few wrist-stretching exercises.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2008, 11:47:00 am »

Alright,very good,now I dare you to go back and make it entirely out of glass.You Certainly have enough sand!*Evil cackling here*

One great thing about this is if you look into the subterranean areas you get a magnificent display of how DF generates the location and shape of stone.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2008, 05:05:00 pm »

I would be more impressed if it was made with cast in place obsidian, that was fully engraved inside and outside.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2008, 07:05:00 am »

The pyramid is fail. The second lowest step is shorter than the rest.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Agent Vennell

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2008, 07:14:00 am »

This is incredible.
Well done on your magnificent achievement.
o power in the verse can stop me.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2008, 05:18:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by zagibu:
<STRONG>The pyramid is fail. The second lowest step is shorter than the rest.</STRONG>

Gah, I was hoping no one would notice that!  I somehow miscalculated and didn't realize it until it was all done.  And I wasn't about to go fix it, for obvious reasons.  Good catch!

Again, thanks for all the positive comments.  I keep trying to get into a regular DF game, but I think I'm a little burnt out for now.  Maybe I should give it some time.

Lazer Bomb

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine! Cosine! TANGENT!
    • View Profile
    • Homepage 60☼
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2008, 06:11:00 pm »

Dangit I lost. I made a pyramid like that, just less impressive. Or big. I only made mine out of ice rocks (in a glacier) but I did continue the pyramid undeground like yours. However I turned mine into a working fortress, instead of leaving it empty. That gets a few points, right?
Kagus: "Still, demonic spelunking is always a promising idea."

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2008, 06:31:00 pm »

Sungate Pyramid hits PC on motherboard.  Fan bruised.
Sungate Pyramid strikes PC on Chipset.  Dual Core Sprained.
Sungate Pyramid slams PC in RAM.  2 gig RAM Card Torn Out.
Sungate Pyramid slams PC in Chipset.  Dual Core Ripped in Half.
Sungate Pyramid slams PC in graphics Card.  PC is Blind!
Sungate Pyramid Skewers PC in Memory Cache.  PC is Mindless.
PC has died.
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2008, 06:33:00 pm »

Hmm.  Want to try building the forbidden city next time?
t''s so sad.  It''s as if De Beers as invaded Dwarf Fortress.  I nearly cried when I saw how valued and rare diamonds were in Dwarf Fortress.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2008, 06:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Ghostpaw:
<STRONG>Hmm.  Want to try building the forbidden city next time?</STRONG>

I have really really really been thiking about ath one........

just gotta get the whole living above ground only thing down pat first...:P

"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

monzill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Yahoo
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2008, 08:14:00 pm »

Exactly what computers are you guys using to play this? I don't mind a slow game but the way you guys have it talking it looks like this map should be used to rate computers in the same aspect crysis is. Coincidentally my computer CAN run crysis so should it be a problem for this map to load on my computer?

EDIT: Okay, just loaded the game onto my current laptop (not the crysis capable one. I go this one on sale for a little under $400), and I looked around to get a feel of the map with my own eyes, I set the game to go thinking I'll get framerates of 5 or so (the current standard on my maps being 10-13), I let her rip, and.......

I'm rocking Framerates of 35?!?!?!?!?1/

Now before I continue, I wanna try to figure out:

I hardly modified my current setting from the vanilla (I added the framerates icon and got rid of the music and the videos), and I'm maintaining framerates in the 30s.

Now here's my questions:

If you had your game modified to maximize framerate, would it matter if the map was transferred to my computer? As in, would the settings maximized for framerate transfer over.

How in the nine hells did your economy work? I may have missed it, but I'm still looking for a trade depot, let alone crafts for you to ship out.

....crud, I had a nother good question, but I guess it'll have to wait.

[ June 11, 2008: Message edited by: monzill ]

EDIT: Okay, I found the crafts, sorry bout that, I see that you can't get a caravan in so I assume some camel jockeys run into the ground floor.

Now how would one go about building things inside the upper layers of the pyramid? I've seen depots of goods and I wanted to set up a housing area but the entire area couldn't have walls built due to the space being taken. So what would one do there?

[ June 11, 2008: Message edited by: monzill ]

f you are reading this, you have fallen victim to the Trust Virus. If all of you could delete your hard drives and erase all data of you on the internet, that''d be helpful, thanks.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2008, 11:39:00 pm »

My average frame rate with all the dwarves working was around 15, with only two dwarves working was in the mid-30s.  But since I had so much to do and therefore needed them all working, the game ran very slow while I was building.

There was no economy.  I set the dwarves to not need food or drink or to think or feel, so there was no need for an economy, which was good because I caught a bug after upgrading from 33b to 33d and never got a caravan or immigrants again.

As for building, you can deconstruct floors where you need to build walls, and thinks like workshops and whatnot can be built right on top of the artificial floors.

Let me know if you do anything cool with this!  After all the work I put into it, I'll be disappointed if it goes to waste.

J Lensher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2008, 12:09:00 am »

Holy Moly.....
That is awesome, nice work
Just had a cool idea, pump water up to the top and let it cascade down the sides, collect it in a moat and the bottom, and pump it back up.....
wuld take ages!

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2008, 04:40:00 am »

Next project, the Great Wall? (ie, generate atleast a small sizes worldmap and try to encase atleast half of it with walls)

10 high 7 broad, with 5 broad walkingspace ontop?

Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.
Pages: 1 [2] 3