Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "_____" Fortress  (Read 2735 times)

smeej

• Bay Watcher
  • The last thing you remember...
    • View Profile
"_____" Fortress
« on: June 06, 2008, 01:56:00 am »

There are probably threads about this scattered about, but fresh threads never hurt anyone.

My main hobby in DF is to attempt to as closely emulate various societies as I can. I most often have success with Egyptian Fortress, Commie Fortress, and Feudal Fortress. I would like more functional examples!

Feudal Fortress involves emulating any kind of middle or medieval ages kingdom. I have a large castle where the nobles are protected by the bulk of the army and the rest of the population outside of the gates, vulnerable to attack. Middle class structures are nearer the gate, leading to the center of town, then to the markets and finally the farms on the outskirts of the map. When an attack comes, you want to get all your workers inside the gates, but don't transfer any goods or let the guards go out into the town to help them! This leads to fun as you constantly have to rebuild things and your peasants die and grow angry.

The best part is creating neat little Olde Europe stuff like inns and cottages. I made my prison in the center of the town square, to emulate someone being placed in the stocks, and occasionally I drown "elves" to see if they are actually witches. I'm currently working on building a cathedral that I can bury nobles under, with a graveyard in the back taking up way too much space, complete with family mausoleums! I need to make a dumping pit and make people dump 10% of their income into it. :-D And obviously having a huge inn, stables, and living outside.

There's a million other ideas within that, but I imagine it's all been done before. I just want to know what else you creative guys have come up with!

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "_____" Fortress
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 02:43:00 am »

There have been a few attempted through the 3 or so month I have been at theses forums. Examples:
The Viking Challenge

Ultimate Castle Challenge

However they never seem to get off the ground and spawn any truly reasonable fortresses.

smeej

• Bay Watcher
  • The last thing you remember...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 03:01:00 am »

Awesome. I feel down on the idea of playing a Viking if I can't primarily support myself thru attacking other people. : /

Well, I'm going to try to build a bustling middle ages kingdom so I will keep posting! The hardest part is starting >_<

I need to remember to build a tower prison for important people.

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

Quiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 08:38:00 pm »

How about Ancient Greek.

Start in a warm area.

Standard soldier should be iron spear, bronze armor, bronze greaves, bronze helm and bronze shield.  You might have some skirmish troops who have cheap spears, shields and no armor.  You can have a few swords, but don't use axes, maces, hammers or crossbows.  Everyone should train in wrestling.

Only clothes should be robes and loincloths.

Have stone walls surrounding your settlement, and a hill within with a temple made of stone (preferably marble) on it. (Might have to build your hill artificially, use whatever rock is most common.)  Houses can be stone or wood.

If you want to go with an Athenian model, leadership positions are chosen randomly among citizens.  Peasants should be changed to slaves and not be allowed to be a leader unless they get voted mayor, in which case they gain citizenship.  (Figure out who the parents of a child are to determine whether they become a slave or a citizen upon maturing) Only slaves should do mining, but aren't barred from any job but soldier.  (Perhaps turn off hauling for anyone not a slave)  Divide all citizens into squads.  At some point every squad should be activated and let to train at some point, so all citizens have some military training.  You might have a house with a citizen bedroom and diningroom, and slave quarters like barracks (Multiple beds, overlapping bedrooms).  In a pinch, slaves can be drafted as skirmishers.

If you want to go Spartan, then you should have soldiers who do nothing but train or fight.  Only soldiers and retired soldiers should have administrative roles.  Everyone else is a helot and they do the work, but should have substandard housing compared to the true spartans, but nobody lives in luxury.  Never cook anything more than bisquits to emulate spartan living.  Don't make anything non-functional, no crafts, no instruments or toys, etc.  Don't decorate.  If you mod to human, don't drink alcohol, as a dwarf just make one kind of alcohol.  Helots shouldn't train as soldiers, but can be drafted as untrained skirmishers to suck up attacks while the Spartans move out to engage.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 06:09:00 am »

Societies with castes can be interesting. You seperate the fortress in multiple completely self-sufficient sectors. Migrants arrive in the "lowest" sector, and only the worthy are promoted to higher castes and allowed to enter the next sector.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 12:01:00 pm »

I want the barrens addition so much...
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬