Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ponds, or moats, more specifically  (Read 1543 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Ponds, or moats, more specifically
« on: June 05, 2008, 11:33:00 am »

I have the first moat I've ever done in a fortress, and I'm wondering how to fill it with water.  The entire area is designated as a pond, and I have buckets, but no one wants to fill it.  Is there a labor I need to designate?(The wiki is down)
Shoes...

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Ponds, or moats, more specifically
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 11:55:00 am »

I don't think you need a labor turned on to do it. Did you remember to put the zone on top of the moat (as opposed to in it)?

Also, you don't need to fill it with water to keep things out of it.

The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

awdball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 12:10:00 pm »

Also, it can quite easily evaporate while you're filling it. If you really want to get the bucket brigade going well designate each square as it's own pond, have a ton of buckets, a bucket stockpile right next to the ponds and no other jobs in the queue... you might be able to fill it then, unlikely but marginally possible. 1000x better is pumping the water there through an aquaduct.

AWDBall

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 12:19:00 pm »

I have even less of an idea how to do that.
Shoes...

awdball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 12:58:00 pm »

What you may be missing is that after declaring the Activity Zone (lowercase i, enter, cursor, enter ) and enabling pit/pond (lowercase-p) you need to set the pit pond info (uppercase-P) and switch it from pit to pond (lowercase-f).

Filling ponds is a fairly low priority job. If you go into the Job list you should see the item in the to-do list there somewhere. Let's start with a tiny example if you have a 2x8 area you want to fill and you designate it as one pond then you get one fill pond job. if you make it 16 1x1 ponds then you get 16 jobs queued and more dwarves can help.

As for the aquaduct:

If you have a water source like a brook on the same level as the moat, just dig a channel connecting them, otherwise channel the water as close to the moat as possible, and use screw pumps to lift it to the level you need.

If you use google to search over the wiki you can look at the cached pages until the wiki is back. http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:FmJvS7rksZYJ:dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Screw_pump+a+site:http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Screw_pump  

AWDBall

[ June 05, 2008: Message edited by: awdball ]

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 01:08:00 pm »

Crazy, thanks.
Shoes...

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 01:13:00 pm »

If you really want to use the bucket method, I would recommend making a small 2x2 channel. Whenever it gets mostly full, dig out another row. Don't bother rezoning it though.
Also, place a bucket stockpile wherever your dwarves like to stand while dumping it, so that yo don't get those annoying. "Cancels fill pond: no empty bucket" messages when the buckets are waiting to be hauled back to the furniture stockpile.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.