Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves prefer fishing  (Read 1055 times)

forumist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves prefer fishing
« on: August 27, 2016, 10:59:29 am »

I decided to try playing again df after quite some time, using version 0.43.05.
Dwarf Therapist doesn't seem available for now, so I decided to just enable all jobs to all dwarves and let the choose according to their preferences.

No-one seems to be interested in cutting trees, mining or gathering plants. They are all fishing. One accepted to dismount the cart, and I ordered a fishery to be made, but so far no one started to build the fishery.

These dwarves really lack self organization.
Don't quote me on that.
Cacame channels aquifers into submission by staring at them. Cacame is so badass, kobolds give him their children to leave them alone. If Hidden Fun Stuff digs too far down, they hit Cacame. Cacame once took a Tantrum Spiral and impaled four enemies on it.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves prefer fishing
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 11:42:59 am »

Fishing has been a top priority job for a long time. You'll also find that nobody cares about actually processing the fish, preferring to fish themselves instead. If you want a fishery to be made, you need to enable fish cleaning or fish dissection on one dorf and disable fishing (and that dorf will probably do something completely different unless you disable other jobs as well.

Yes dorfs expect their overseer to do the organizing, you you need to assign jobs to them, and then monitor them to see that they're actually approach your task priorities rather than their own.

forumist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 12:18:49 pm »

Now some migrants have arrived and I did not activate all jobs for them. Tree-cutting eventually started. Some of the new dwarves have mining enabled, I have picks, I designated some accessible digging areas, yet nobody digs and some mining-enabled dwarfs are without jobs.
Don't quote me on that.
Cacame channels aquifers into submission by staring at them. Cacame is so badass, kobolds give him their children to leave them alone. If Hidden Fun Stuff digs too far down, they hit Cacame. Cacame once took a Tantrum Spiral and impaled four enemies on it.

forumist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 01:48:26 pm »

Finally!
Just after a kobold thief intrusion and the ensuing hand fight, some dwarves decided to take a pick and dig !
Don't quote me on that.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 02:29:14 pm »

A bunch if wimps, apparently, if all it requires is a single kobold to get them to dig for their lives...

If the number of dorfs with mining enabled outnumbers the number of picks, normal dwarven behavior is for the miners that claimed picks to take the hauling jobs, while the ones without picks are idle, because they can't dig, and all the hauling tasks are taken.
In general, if a dorf has an important job with the corresponding profession enabled, but also has hauling, he takes the hauling jobs from the haulers (hauling is supposed to be low priority, but that generally only shows when you're in a hurry to get something moved).

Fawnek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 12:00:33 am »

A bunch if wimps, apparently, if all it requires is a single kobold to get them to dig for their lives...

I don't suspect they will make it through winter.
We all have an Urist in our lives.

Arthropleura

• Bay Watcher
  • Elven Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 12:44:00 pm »

This actually sounds like a decent challenge fort idea.
We are currently three turns in, and the main hall is coated in blood, intestines and random corpses. There's a huge pile of 3000 items made of human body parts in a corner and remaining members of the staff of the museum are, as I type this, being slowly choked to death by one of our adventurers.

forumist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 02:02:17 pm »

Many died of dehydratation during winter, but no tantrum spiral occured... yet.
Don't quote me on that.