Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Any way to survive without water, wood, crops, and animals?  (Read 2517 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any way to survive without water, wood, crops, and animals?
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2016, 06:25:04 pm »

I see what I probably did wrong there. 
Can probably do b-C-F built fort below as it leaves no roof on the z+1, and then add b-C-f build floor above.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2016, 02:02:35 am »

Aren't bees animals?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2016, 02:13:18 am »

I do kinda count them as one, but unlike other animals they can't reanimate or kill your dwarves.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2016, 09:01:21 am »

I suppose bees are animals.

But in terms of DF, are there really 100,000 objects in beehives?

I thought they were considered vermins, which would be a default natural food source when a dwarf goes hungry and starts hunting for vermins.

I suppose crops and wood also applies to trees, so no gathering zone or picking fallen fruits, or gather plants in general?

And what would you do to the 2 pack animals that pulled the wagon? dfhack destroy all yaks and camels!

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2016, 02:38:56 pm »

I think any sort of 'flood large area/collapse large section' to make soil for cave growth would be cheating, it's effectively crops just in an odd way.

So it depends a lot on what 'no animals' means. You could possibly do it if you allowed hunting, but no livestock. Fishing from the cavern is also a possibility if that's allowed, but it's been a long long time since I've ever seen a fort get more than a handful of fish before running out.

You can also breach all three caverns and probably support a pretty modest population off the plants. You'd just need to bring along a highly skilled plant gatherer to make sure you get the most from your meager resources.

Alternatively you could possibly mod one of the underground trees to fruit which would give you an occasional opportunity to gather some fruit. Though I don't know if that's a possible mod to make.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2016, 02:40:13 pm »

I think modding would also break the challenge.

You could just mod rocks to also drop strawberries of you wanted to add mods.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2016, 03:44:21 pm »

Might as well mod NO EAT and not worry about food, is there a NO DRINK equivalent?

Maybe use tears for water in case of injuries.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2016, 05:12:53 pm »

Might as well mod NO EAT and not worry about food, is there a NO DRINK equivalent?
Yes.

Vanilla goblins have both tags. If you can attract some goblin performers before your dwarves dehydrate, you're set. (Mercenaries are no good, as you can't assign labors.)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 05:14:40 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 [2]