Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 70

Author Topic: Grunts  (Read 133033 times)

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
Re: Grunts
« Reply #300 on: September 16, 2016, 12:59:32 am »

Unit number: Fish006, platoon 6
Inventory: military backpack. Sandy Gum. Helmet. Gun. Body armor. 3 frag grenades, 1 emp.
Class: Soldier
Character points: Gun 'Em Down, everything is a weapon, heroic sacrifice

Do a military salute back at my comrades as the bomb goes off.

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: September 16, 2016, 05:27:32 am »

Zii003, platoon 6
Inventory: gun, helmet, military backpack, St Michael the arcangel medal.
Run away 1/2

Continue running away, once you are in a safe distance make a prayer for your fallen comrades souls specially Fish006.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 04:33:14 pm by ziizo »
GG, Ziizo. May my spirit live on in your boobs.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: September 16, 2016, 07:46:04 am »

Unit number: Tigr001 - Platoon 6
Inventory: Gun. Frontpack. Mug. Helmet.

Run-Away - 1/2

Run away and dropkick some Other Guy TM in the balls. Whilst saluting and not dying.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: September 16, 2016, 04:08:26 pm »

Unit number: Hat003 (platoon 6)
Inventory: Gun. military backpack [-1 use medical supplies]. Gum. Helmet.
Character Points: The ten yard stare

Run away 1/2

Keep running and dive to the ground once at a safe distance.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

HugeNerdAndProudOfIt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: September 17, 2016, 12:57:52 pm »

Unit number: Ner004
Inventory: Gun. military backpack. Gum. Helmet.
Character Point(s): Dumb Genius. Haunted 1/?

Arrive.
Don't eat ghosts, that's how we got into this mess to begin with.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: September 17, 2016, 01:50:15 pm »

Platoon 4/7
Unit number: Sn001 platoon 7
Inventory: Helmet, gun, military backpack, gum
Character Point: (not) Darwin's Finest

Attempted to run last turn. Did not succeed.

Play dead. Hopefully they won't bomb the shit out of me if all they see is a corpse.

(3) your acting is stale and unconvincing. And not really noticeable by the drones flying overhead. They care little about whther something is alive or not. Tey have orders to destroy 'cover.' (5) lucky for you, they don't consider 'a small pile of sand and a half buried grunt' to be 'cover.' also lucky for you, they are flying overhead at a distance from you - by that giant gun pointed at the sky.

Unit number: HC001 Platoon - Still unassigned
Inventory: Gun. military backpack. Trident Berry Gum. Helmet.

Continue providing supporting fire at the machine gun battle!

((assigned to: platoon 7.)) (6) you kill a dude in the melee for the machine gun! (4 )you receive a minor wound at the same time - probably from a stray shot- hard to tell in this confusion.

Unit Number: CR002, platoon 7
Name: Frank v2
Inventory: Gun, Military backpack, Gum, Helmet

Shoot the shit out of somebody before we lose.

Seriously. Anybody. Them. My teammates. Me.

(1) your shot at the enemy fails, and your gun registers 'out of ammo'. you spend the rest of the round reloading, and so fail to cause friendly casualties. Well, that's thoroughly unsatisfying. (1) You punch yourself in the face, just so the turn isn't a total loss, and manage to jam your nose cartilage into your brain. You die as a very fitting metaphor for war.

Unit number: KH003 Platoon 4
inventory Gun, medic bag, gum, helmet
Status Missing leg Patched bleedout 1/3
Location reinforcements
Character point Hates bugs, First aid

Shoot the other guytm and win the objective
(1) you guys have the worst luck with this crap. Your weapon runs dry. time to toss in another battery pack.

Unit number: Jag004 [platoon 4]
Name: Shut up you sod. No one asked. No one cares.
Inventory: gun, military backpack. Gum
Character point:
endurance: suffocation

Minor wound: 1/5
suffocation: 2/5
dig out 2/3

Dig on.
(5) FREEDOM! you made it. you get a character point. I forget what we discussed though; tunnel rat, or something like that. oh wait, tunnel rat is the character class you unlock.

Unit number: Bo003 Platoon: 7.

Seeing an opening in the melee around the machine gun, I pick up the machine gun and use it to smite my enemies!
(6) someone pegs the guy you are fighting with over the machine gun - his brains splatter everywhere, causing the guy next to him to let go too. You kick another dude in the balls, hold the gun above your head and scream a war cry .. damn, this thing is heavy. You swing it down, clubbing a third guy in the head and falling over into the pile of agony and death. (1) and someone knifes you in the back when you do.

Wow. you guys lose about as much as you kill, ending in a stalemate. You fail the objective. Luckily, reinforcement platoon NPC01 arrives to finish off the resistance. So it isn't a total loss, more of a draw really. But the battle is won, so that's good, right? right?

In the distance, a large explosion goes off. it's bright - too bright. You all duck and cover. Some hot sand falls around you after a few seconds that feel like hours. Those of you brave enough to look up see one of hte large guns topple with a crash. Cheering goes up across the nearby battlefield. the report comes down that this sector of the battle is clear, and othe sectors are soon to follow. Time to regroup, reorganize, and prepare for the next hell hole.

Platoon 6

Unit number: OcE003, Platoon 6
Inventory: Gun. Military backpack. Gum. Helmet.
Keep running. Shed single, manly tear for Fish006.

Unit Number:Zr04, platoon 7(/6)
Inventory:Gun. military backpack. Gum. Helmet.

Running, turn 2. If I have the time this turn, take off my helmet with one hand and do a salute facing the explosion. Then put my helmet back on.

Unit Number: ynk003 (platoon 6)
Inv: gun, pack, gum, helmet, $20,000 worth of stolen military-grade painkillers
Character Points: "chaplain of the damned" "kung fu priest"   

Run Away 1/2

Shoot Yo003 for stealing my idea! ...Wait, Yo003 doesn't exist? Oh GM wat you doin'.
Continue powersliding. Share my corpse/surfboard with Yo002 if the latter wants to join in the fun.

I misspoke. it was you doing the badass bit. (2) your ride comes to a halt, forcing you to leg it the old fashioned, sensible, utterly boring way.

Unit number: Yo002 Platoon 6

Keep on powersliding my way to cover, preferable while also using gun as a air guitar and shredding sick riffs.
You weren't the badass last round, sorry. (2) You run to the safe distance and do a dramatic 'power belly flop' at the end, holding your hands in air guitar formation and drooling on yourself slightly. You get sand in your mouth.

Designation: AM004 Platoon: 6
Name: ?
Inventory: Gun. Military backpack. Gum. Helmet. Grenade.
Character points: ?

Running is another thing soldiers are goot at.
you run.

number: Rak002, Platoon: 6
Type: Soldier
Inventory: Gun. Basic armor. Military backpack. Gum. Helmet.
Character Point: "Bruiser", "Mission Complete: Dune"

Run: 1/2

Away from here! Fish006 is badass, salute him if I survive.

Zii003, platoon 6
Inventory: gun, helmet, military backpack, St Michael the arcangel medal.
Run away 1/2

Continue running away, once you are in a safe distance make a prayer for your fallen comrades souls specially Fish006.

Unit number: Tigr001 - Platoon 6
Inventory: Gun. Frontpack. Mug. Helmet.

Run-Away - 1/2

Run away and dropkick some Other Guy TM in the balls. Whilst saluting and not dying.
(4) you do a double foot jump stomp onto a downed enemy. You almost fall on your ass though.

Unit number: Hat003 (platoon 6)
Inventory: Gun. military backpack [-1 use medical supplies]. Gum. Helmet.
Character Points: The ten yard stare

Run away 1/2

Keep running and dive to the ground once at a safe distance.

Everyone above gets to the safe distance. Those who saluted gain the character point "Honor."

Unit number: Ner004
Character Point(s): Dumb Genius. Haunted 1/?

Arrive.
not yet, you still have to explode this round. Which you do, right now.

Unit number: Fish006, platoon 6
Inventory: military backpack. Sandy Gum. Helmet. Gun. Body armor. 3 frag grenades, 1 emp.
Class: Soldier
Character points: Gun 'Em Down, everything is a weapon, heroic sacrifice

Do a military salute back at my comrades as the bomb goes off.

You stand proudly and watch your brothers run to the gathering point. One by one, they turn and salute you. You stand, military crisp, at attenti0on, and salute. Yopu hold the pose until you are vaporised. You gain the character point: symbol of bravery.

the explosion
One by one, the surviving members of Platoon 6 arrive at teh gathering point, waved in by sergeant Oz005. One by one, they turn and look. There, in the distance, stand two figures - their own, too close to the gun to run. "that one saved your lives." Oz005 says, speaking low. yet, his voice carries to you all. You salute, and stand at attention, and he returns the salute. A moment later ,the other figure salutes as well. And then, the explosion happens. it's bright enough to make you wince, to make your eyes water. But you are grunts, and you'll be damned if you don't stand and watch your brother's death. The gun topples, and hot sand and small chunks of glassed sand fall among you, burning and cutting. You hold the salute, some with tears in their eyes, some dry eyed, all exhausted. You barely hear the report that this sector is clear, and that the battle is soon over.

Platoon 6 gains the character trait "band of brothers" (shut up - it's not cliche, it's noble!) and unlock the classes grenadier, soldier, demolitions, and first strike. Platoon 6 gains an arm patch, for veterans only - with an explosion consuming a saluting figure. the barrel of a giant artillary weapon sticks out of the top of the explosion. Under this is the word "Gunbane."

Instructions
We're not starting a new round just yet. I would like feeedback first. What did you like, what didn't you like, what would you like to see more of?
After this little discussion, I'll ask for everyone to post a list of their character traits, points and unlocked classes and stuff. Don't post this until I ask for it, so I can get them all together.
additionally, when you do post them, if you list your characters and their deaths, kills, and notable actions, that would be super. It's not required though.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 17, 2016, 01:54:50 pm »

I like the confusion. Total confusion.

More of that.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 17, 2016, 02:20:14 pm »

I like the confusion. Total confusion.

More of that.

Description is on point. Loved the absolute chaos.
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 17, 2016, 03:44:57 pm »

Game lacks a sensible roster (just unit numbers that were assigned to each mission would be great)

Death rolls after the turn itself were much easier to read and make sense of. What's the reason behind the change? Deaths summary was also a good one.

Perhaps, game needs a character achievements section? CP get more and more bloated with time.

P.S. I'm fucking immortal and proud of it
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 17, 2016, 07:41:23 pm »

Dont dislike anything in particular, but loving the sense of camaraderie within each platoon.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 17, 2016, 08:32:29 pm »

I survived? I survived!
I love this game. All I think it needs is a more standardized character sheet, and to put deaths at the bottom of the post again.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 17, 2016, 08:36:01 pm »

I really enjoyed the game, don't really have any particular complaints.
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 17, 2016, 10:11:33 pm »

More confusion, return deaths to bottom of the sheet, standardize the character sheet. Okay.

Thanks for the input so far!

I moved the deaths to individuals because it was a bit of a challenge to organize everyone's post into platoons, and not miss anyone, and do it in a reasonable time.
A lot of that was due to my schedule change. I'll attempt to switch back.

As for the character sheets - well, this game has been something of an experiment, a work in progress. I wasn't sure what kinds of things I would need to add in, and your basic unit - the grunt, had everything he or she was going to have right from the start. As the game grew, things got added. I'll rework it a bit to include those things.
Feel free to suggest items to include in, or reject from, the character sheet.

I'll give this til tomorrow afternoon, to see if anyone else has feedback or suggestions, then I'll ask for everyone's info.

I think I will condense the wounding and status effects a little. I feel that it was a little too gradual a slope, at least for this kind of battle. For other missions, with higher level characters, hte more in depth wounding stats would work fine, though.

Spoiler: Classes (click to show/hide)

how's that stuff look?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 08:51:21 pm by Ozarck »

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 17, 2016, 11:28:35 pm »

It all looks pretty good to me. I wouldn't say it needed MORE confusion though  the current level was perfect for me.
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 18, 2016, 08:25:22 am »

You're missing a few classes unlocked previously:

Heavy Grunt. You absorb more damage than regular grunts, and hit harder in melee. You can carry one additional weapon of your choice
Point man. Gains bonuses to perception and reaction, and takes the front when scouting or traveling (maybe "First strike" = "Point man"?)
Shooter. Gets a slightly heavier and more precise weapon. This weapon cannot be dual wielded and is much rarer than the things you are picking up from the battlefield here. Shooters can pick their targets rather than simply firing in a direction and hoping to hit someone. (Maybe "Assault gunner" = "Shooter"?)

Chaplain and Kung fu zealot (priest subclasses, support and melee oriented, respectively)
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 70