Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 70

Author Topic: Grunts  (Read 132837 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Grunts
« Reply #195 on: September 05, 2016, 12:04:15 pm »

Edit: Victory for Platoon 3.

My mistake. Platoon three achieved the victory conditions i set in round 8. So they have achieved their objective.

Rewards: For surviving so many rounds , especially at the beginning alone up there, Sarrak's character becomes a Heavy Grunt. You absorb more damage than regular grunts, and hit harder in melee. You can carry one additional weapon of your choice on the next mission, and attain rank: corporal.
For Xan, you gain the character point: maps? and are able to find your way more easily to an objective
For Doc, you gain the character trait: psycho, and gain a bonus to scare, confuse, or misdirect the enemy.

For all three: gain the character point: mission complete: Dune.
you unlock the character types: soldier, point man, and shooter.

Soldier gets body armor, to absorb a little more damage.
Point man gains bonuses to perception and reaction, and takes the front when scouting or traveling
Shooter gets a slightly heavier and more precise weapon. This weapon cannot be dual wielded and is much rarer than the things you are picking up from the battlefield here. Shooters can pick their targets rather than simply firing in a direction and hoping to hit someone.

I miss anything? Any one have suggestions to make these more ... I don't know ... interesting?
I'm probably going to change the OP from a list of dead to a list of unlocked classes and character traits.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 05, 2016, 12:28:52 pm »

Great news! We lived through hell! I have a few questions, though:

1) Are wounds patched up between missions (maimings aside, though there might be some prosthetics in use)?
2) Are survivors deployed again right after the win, or we cycle through more characters before?
3) What advantages ranks give?

P.S. I'm taking a Sword for the next stroll.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 05, 2016, 12:33:27 pm »

Unit number: Jag004 [platoon 4]
Name: Shut up you sod. No one asked. No one cares.
Inventory: gun, military backpack. Gum
Minor wound: 1/5
suffocation: 1/5
dig out 0/3
A bit too cozy it seems.
Continue to dig.

((Do minor wounds work like bleed outs?))
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 05, 2016, 12:44:20 pm »

Oz: What's the difference between Character Points and Character Traits? And is Sarrak considered Named now that he's a Sergeant?

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 05, 2016, 01:07:06 pm »

Unit number: Fish005, platoon 6
Inventory: military backpack. Gum. Helmet. Gun.
Character points: Gun 'Em Down, everything is a weapon.

Jog out the brick and fire at an important-looking enemy(or, if there is none, fire at a normal one.)

Zormod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 05, 2016, 01:22:05 pm »

Lay down some suppressing fire, preferably from some form of cover.

Unit Number:Zr03, platoon 6
Inventory:Gun. military backpack. Gum. Helmet.

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 05, 2016, 02:04:55 pm »

Unit Number: Su003 Platoon 6
Inventory: Helmet, Backpack, Gun, Gum
Character points: Military Genius: tactical

Chew gum and stick it on helmet for good luck aannnnnd charge towards the undamaged fortification. Use the wall of it as cover.
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 05, 2016, 02:40:48 pm »

Unit number: OcE003, Platoon 6
Inventory: Gun. military backpack. Gum. Helmet.

Get a grenade. Pull pin. Run into the undamaged fortification.

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 05, 2016, 03:45:02 pm »

Unit number: Yo002 Platoon 6

Try to starch the bleeding with a dermal patch.
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 05, 2016, 05:48:53 pm »

Great news! We lived through hell! I have a few questions, though:

1) Are wounds patched up between missions (maimings aside, though there might be some prosthetics in use)?
2) Are survivors deployed again right after the win, or we cycle through more characters before?
3) What advantages ranks give?

P.S. I'm taking a Sword for the next stroll.
For now, you are still in mission. the larger mission is "take the desert for the Empire." So, this battle in general is one mission. You had subobjectives, as a smaller unitin a rander battle, so you are still in the fight. You can wait on the dune and hold it, or you can support one of the other two groups.

1) after the battle, wounds will be seen to, even maimings. You'll get cheap military prosthetics. I'll announce end of battle, and probably divide the game into two threads for separate battles after this, as twenty people is a tad much all at once, even for such a 'simple' game
2) survivors can be deployed immediately, but if you want to hold a survivor in reserve, that is fine too. that character can be reintroduced after a mission with the advantages given
3) rank allows you to command lower units. as a corporal, you will, next mission, be the 'lead private' of a fire squad of three. you'll direct their actions in immediate situations, while your actions are directed from above. higher ranks also confer equipment privileges.

Oz: What's the difference between Character Points and Character Traits? And is Sarrak considered Named now that he's a Sergeant?
character points are things you acquire by doing certain actions or succeeding in certain tasks. they are sort of an xp system. Character traits are their result. when you level up, you gain a trait, if you have certain character points. That is, a trait is a permanent version of a point, and actually has an effect on the character. character points don't actually do much on their own, but the trait does.

Sarrak is a corporal, which is barely above a lowly private. He is not named, though his feat of surviving on that Dune was somewhat impressive. If he helps to achieve another goal during this battle, he might get a name. Likewise, certain other characters have the potential of getting names, without getting ranks. For instance, if your character is able to chase off a bunch of enemies with nothing but a ""pew pew" he'll get a name.

((Do minor wounds work like bleed outs?))
minor wounds do not act like bleedout. they won't accumulate on their own. But when you have five of them, they become a serious injury. this is almost unimportant on this battle, because it is such a high casualty thing.

thaks for the questions, guys. Remember, this game is pretty experimental - I am testing a sort of character progression idea I had back when we were talking about systems for the next big Piecewise game. I thought I'd see what developed. I didn't quite expect it to be as much work as it is, though I should have as a semi veteran GM.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 05, 2016, 06:34:56 pm »

Unit number: Bo002 Platoon: 4.
Status: Serious wounds [right arm][head][torso] Bleedout 2/3

(Has cover)

I attempt to stop the bleeding, and heal my wounds.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 05, 2016, 06:41:42 pm »

Unit Number: ZB001, Platoon 6
Inventory: Gun, military backpack, gum, helmet.

Dig foxhole near undamaged enemy defenses.  Request grenade.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 04:43:47 am by ZBridges »

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 05, 2016, 11:25:03 pm »

Unit number: Rak002, Platoon: 6
Type: Soldier
Inventory: Gun. Basic armor. Military backpack. Gum. Helmet.
Character Point: "Bruiser", "Mission Complete: Dune"

"Sarge, give me a grenade!"

Charge into the fray and

(Grenade) Using my impressive arm strength, throw activated grenade at one of the enemy soldiers inside the nest.
(Nothing) Lay heavy fire onto the enemy.

((I'm giving Rak001 some time to recuperate. He deserves that.))
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 06, 2016, 12:18:29 am »

Xan001, Platoon 3 (?)
Inventory: Gum, Gun, Helmet, Backpack
Type: Point Man
Character Points: Maps, Mission Complete: Dune
Character Traits: n/a

Patch my wound up with my gum. Stop that bleeding, I ain't got time for it!

((Am I correct in that we can stay with our current 001 incarnations with a new type if we feel like it, or do we have to switch to get a type?))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

HugeNerdAndProudOfIt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 06, 2016, 10:33:32 am »

Unit number: Ner003

apply lasers to damaged position.

come to think of it, can i get a character point for doing something as stupid as overcharging my gun, holding down the trigger, and throwing it?
Don't eat ghosts, that's how we got into this mess to begin with.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 70