Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ideas for a blood altar  (Read 2957 times)

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ideas for a blood altar
« on: February 05, 2008, 08:03:00 am »

Hi, so, I have just finished digging out and engraving my temple for the blood good in my fort, its a 18*18 room, three stories high with engraved pillars forming a main aisle in the middle.

I plan on furnishing it with maybe 60 cinnabar chair and cinnabar chairs encrusted with blood opal or some such for the nobles. waterfalls at the far end and possible on the sides aswell, and at the far end I plan to build an altar at wich I wish to have the possibility to sacifice goblins, cattle and dwarfes alike. Most urgently the duke consort who makes who solely stands for more than half of the mandates, and since he only demands aluminium and clear glass it has stardet to become a problem, my main import being aluminium solely to prepare for his demands.

here it is:

I wish to have a lever which can be assigned to the dwarf to be sacrificed. The death shall be swift, bloody and possible to execute on that very spot. which means that the dwarf should go into the room, an in front of the audience gahtered (the entire room being a party zone) pull the lever and end his life. so no ten storey drop, no water etc.

On the floor directly above this one I have my arena with the goblin pit, but this can be circumvented. nothing but some drains on the floor below.

Any ideas? how do you sacrifice your dwarfes?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for a blood altar
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 08:31:00 am »

Make a spike trap (not a weapon trap) on the floor tile you want.  Load it with a ton of spears of menacing spikes (spikes can be made out of wood, but you'll need more of them).  Connect that trap to a lever.  

When pulled the first time, the spikes will retract into the ground and you can place a sacrifice on the spot.  When it's in place, you then pull the lever and splatter its entrails about.

For tougher creatures, give the "pull lever" task a repeat order.  This will cause the dwarf to repeatedly pull the lever in ridiculously fast succession, and spike traps do not have a delay between lever pulling and activation.  This means you'll have a square of supersonic spikes repeatedly goring whatever's above them.

And, if you place it right next to the lever, you can get a sacrificial dwarf to pull the lever himself.

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 08:40:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Make a spike trap (not a weapon trap) on the floor tile you want.  Load it with a ton of spears of menacing spikes (spikes can be made out of wood, but you'll need more of them).  Connect that trap to a lever.  

When pulled the first time, the spikes will retract into the ground and you can place a sacrifice on the spot.  When it's in place, you then pull the lever and splatter its entrails about.

For tougher creatures, give the "pull lever" task a repeat order.  This will cause the dwarf to repeatedly pull the lever in ridiculously fast succession, and spike traps do not have a delay between lever pulling and activation.  This means you'll have a square of supersonic spikes repeatedly goring whatever's above them.

And, if you place it right next to the lever, you can get a sacrificial dwarf to pull the lever himself.</STRONG>

I thought of this, but I want to have the same dwarf pulling the lever and dying. Commiting suicide, self sacrificing himself to the god of blood. a spiketrap would have to be on another spot right? which means that it can't be the same guy.

[ February 05, 2008: Message edited by: Quift ]

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 09:05:00 am »

also, tips for the actual placing of hostile would be nice. killing them while caged seems boring, as does throwing them down from the arena above. anf how would  I place dwarfes there? I'm currently thinking a design with 8 black bronze grates triggered by a lever in the middle causing anyone who pulls the lever to be trapped, but then I still need a killing method.

I have built 10 large menacing steep spikes for this, just need a way to order a particular dwarf to stand on the correct spot. nobles cannot be drafted, and preferably I would also like to have a way of sacrificing non dwarfes the same way...

I want public ritualistic sacrificing of goblins, cows and dwarfes alike... with blod spatter. in that partiular location.

(being very obsessed about the structural layout of my fort. every floor (10 in total) has exactly the same proportions as the one above, making the fortress layout identical on each and every floor. All mining operations are on the outside to avoid damaging the structural integrity of the fort.)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 09:14:00 am »

Okay.  The only way I can think of that you can kill a dwarf standing on the lever would be to have a drawbridge.  Not very elegant, and I don't know how much blood it leaves behind, but at least you don't have a corpse to deal with afterwards.

Build a drawbridge. Build lever number one somewhere off to the side.  Raise drawbridge with lever number one.  Build lever number two under drawbridge smash zone.  Pull lever number two.

You'll also use up mechanisms this way, but that might actually be a bonus if you've got excess stone.

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 10:04:00 am »

This might work:

#########
...D@DLD...
#########

Where D stands for Door, @ for a berserk dwarf, and L for the lever.  # could be walls or grates/bars for more drama.

The lever should be linked to both doors, so that pulling it closes the door behind the sacrificial victim (preventing escape), and opens the door leading to the berserk dwarf.  I would imagine the result would be one very dead sacrificial victim, very quickly.
The tricky part would be funneling the berserk into the right spot, but I don't think that's unsurmountable.  You could probably use other dangerous creatures instead.

Thoughts?

[ February 05, 2008: Message edited by: John Johnston ]

Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

Troas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 10:08:00 am »

If you are willing to rebuild after each sacrifice you could set up a collapsing roof section with supports surrounding the activation lever.
You'd think handing out the crossbows to brain damaged dwarfs would be a bad idea but it isn't

Save the catgirls!

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 10:44:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Okay.  The only way I can think of that you can kill a dwarf standing on the lever would be to have a drawbridge.  Not very elegant, and I don't know how much blood it leaves behind, but at least you don't have a corpse to deal with afterwards.

Build a drawbridge. Build lever number one somewhere off to the side.  Raise drawbridge with lever number one.  Build lever number two under drawbridge smash zone.  Pull lever number two.

You'll also use up mechanisms this way, but that might actually be a bonus if you've got excess stone.</STRONG>

thought of that aswell but it doesn't work. you cant place the second lever under the bridge, since there already is a construction there. so same problem as with the spikes.

if we go with the first idea of steel spikes, how would I get the victim to stand on the correct spot. possible victims should be:

Nobles
random dwarfes
animals
goblins

sorbius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 11:36:00 am »

Since there is a delay from when a lever is pulled until the bridge moves you chould set up something like this:
code:

# walls =draw bridge L=lever

######
                   ##L ##
                   #====#
                   #====#
                   #====#
                   #====#
                   #====#
                   #====#
                   #====#
                   ##  ##

So you have two draw bridges that open towards the middle creating a dwarf smasher.  Due to the lag on lever pull the dwarf should yank the switch and be halfway on his way back out and BAM! blood for the blood god!
keepin' it real for atleast the last 5 minutes.

Troas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 11:37:00 am »

For animals and goblins - you could designate a dump zone 1 z level up and uncage/drop them onto the indicated spot.
You'd think handing out the crossbows to brain damaged dwarfs would be a bad idea but it isn't

Save the catgirls!

Kylaer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 05:06:00 pm »

Falling objects can damage dwarves, right? I believe I've seen them do so, but I can't recall for sure. If not, this idea won't work.

If so, there's a reasonably straightforward way to accomplish your task. You build the lever on the sacrifice spot. Make a shaft several Z-levels high directly above the lever. Build a bridge on the top, set it to retract. Go up one additional Z-level and designate a dump zone. Dump a lot of rocks/blocks/whatever onto the bridge.

Pull the lever, retract the bridge, send the rubble down onto the dwarf.

eltorre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 05:27:00 pm »

something like this
code:

#X##
L>_#
####
L=lever
>= bridge raising in that direction
_=a hole
#=wall
X=no return point

put a door in X if you want to use this with animals or goblins, or nothing if is only for dwarves.

then just below the hole you put this

code:

SIDE VIEW

Fall here
   V
   _
 _| |_  
_|     |_

you put some chairs in the stairs and... everything gets covered in blood and limbs!

(well... it has a fall... and you dont want falls...)

edit:
put some clear glass walls, a lever, and water... with enough presure you will get some blood.

[ February 05, 2008: Message edited by: eltorre ]

LegendaryFishCleaner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 06:21:00 pm »

Drawbridges toss creatures standing on them when drawn, right?

So...

code:

wwwwwww
wwwlwww
w..b..w
w..b..w
w..b..w
wwfbfww
wwfffww
wwwwwww

A one space wide bridge, leading to a lever surrounded by walls and empty space on all other sides, would force the dwarf to stand on the bridge to pull the switch.  When pulled, the bridge should fling the dwarf towards the wall (or whatever target you choose) on the opposite side (where the bridge is anchored), and when they impact, should shower all attended in an explosion of blood and gore.  If i understand correctly how these things work.

(w= wall, b= bridge, l= lever, f= floor, .= open space)

Depending on how far you can fling a creature, you could set up a party room in your dwarf's flight path.

[ February 05, 2008: Message edited by: LegendaryFishCleaner ]

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 07:24:00 pm »

Maybe you could set up something like this:
code:

#####################
   S
    -------

/
######################

(side view)
where S is a support and / is a lever connected to that support. I don't know if the supports can be used this way but it's worth a shot?
Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you will look sweet upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.

BlueDestiny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 09:08:00 pm »

How does getting flung from a drawbridge work? Do they fly in an arc or only on 1 z-level?
Pages: [1] 2