Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35

Author Topic: Folstag University of Magic (Between Light and Shadow)  (Read 53869 times)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Re: Folstag University of Magic (Between Light and Shadow)
« Reply #495 on: October 26, 2016, 05:22:08 am »

Dan, as usual, goes straight into testing. Primarily taking look into the soul and genetics of the gauntlet itself and then closest stone he can find.

"Oh? But I'm guessing construction method of soul gauntlet is not part of this class. Point me into correct direction after the class, because I'm interested."
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: October 26, 2016, 09:25:21 am »

"...Is light's speed really infinite?  Or is it that we just can't make anything go faster?"

"Light bears the essence of time itself. It is this reason it is so quick, for without its speed it would merely have the likeness of flame. It is as fast as time itself."
"But time passes at one second per second, doesn't it?  So light must have a finite speed, because time has a speed...

How far have we tested?"
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: October 26, 2016, 02:54:55 pm »

"So you are imposing your time and perception on real time? Or perhaps the specified viewers' time? Or are you merely projecting something of some substance like one would in the other magics?

Why doesn't my natural perception overrule your shadow magic, must one force another to percieve by, say, invading the viewers' mind?

Or perhaps it's accomplished through suggestion?

Oh and one more question-"
Instead of asking the question Raioyris opts to cast his writing implement at the shadow form.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 03:02:51 pm by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: October 26, 2016, 07:11:41 pm »

(Sorry I'm late; I completely forgot to check this yesterday.)

Christine waits until the introductions reach her, and then introduces herself:

"I'm Christine Denare. I've come here to gain a greater understanding of water."
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: October 27, 2016, 08:42:52 pm »

"Wait, in 'open space?' Does that mean experiments were done on light not in open space?"
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: October 28, 2016, 03:10:13 pm »

Update 31

Akasha inspects the room, as if checking to make sure this is really happening.
"Hmm? How did that happen? Will we learn how to do that?"

"There is a rumor," mutters a red-haired girl near you, pushing back her glasses. "That the Time building is haunted."
"Haunted? That's preposterous!" remarks a certain Thalstav Ridders (in case anyone forgot about him).
"Last year, the graduating class of 439 conducted an investigation during the Bloodmoon Eclipse. They said they found evidence of ghosts. And an underground cult."
"Oh please! This is a university of magic. Magic! And it's the middle of the Yarshire festival. Pranks abound this time of year."

It looks like we have a spooky mystery to solve.

The professor has been dutifully ignoring the side conversation, his attention focused toward the student called Rayoris:

"So you are imposing your time and perception on real time? Or perhaps the specified viewers' time? Or are you merely projecting something of some substance like one would in the other magics?

Why doesn't my natural perception overrule your shadow magic, must one force another to percieve by, say, invading the viewers' mind?

Or perhaps it's accomplished through suggestion?

Oh and one more question-"
Instead of asking the question Raioyris opts to cast his writing implement at the shadow form.

The quill sails through the air, somehow fin-stabilized by its shape, and lands directly on the shadow. The shadow-figure is two-dimentional, it seems, but it reacts to the quill by twitching slightly.

...you notice that the ink on the end of the pen did not wipe on the floor, as one would expect.

"The forms you create are real. It is, in effect, imposing your will on reality, a form of magic more like what you see in fairy tales rather than real magic. But I assure you, this is real magic."

When probed further, the professor tries to stay on topic. "Everything will come in time. For now, we must focus on the basics."

Meanwhile, in a different room at the Time building,

"But time passes at one second per second, doesn't it?  So light must have a finite speed, because time has a speed...

How far have we tested?"

"Shining Beam magic at the Winthrop mountains created a plume of smoke with no measurable delay. We have good reason to believe it is instant. And indeed, for normal objects, time passes at a constant speed. But Light is unique in that it is not weighted like normal matter. It is more akin to dream matter, that is, energy without mass."

"Wait, in 'open space?' Does that mean experiments were done on light not in open space?"

"Mirrors reflect light. It has been stipulated that they can reflect more than that, and great effort has been spent toward finding matter that appears different in reflection. We've nothing but rumors at the moment, but we are looking for students to conduct searches for the sake of potential discoveries. Paid, of course."

At the Water building,

Christine waits until the introductions reach her, and then introduces herself:

"I'm Christine Denare. I've come here to gain a greater understanding of water."

(Updates are intermittent anyway. You aren't exactly holding anything up, so it's all good.)

"Water, huh," chortles a student next to you. "I think we all care given that we're in the same cla--Oh, my turn?"
He stands up.
"I am called Lazaranth, of Altarium. I come to seek the arts which my forefathers have so vehemently denied my kin, to show them a power that turns water into wine and works miracles of flesh and blood.
I believe this life would suit me better, much better than living sequestered in a castle for all my years, waiting for my older sibling to die."
A lot of second-in-line princes seem to think this way...

There are quite a lot of Altarians in this room, too. Their patron God is Mercy, associated with the ocean and the cycle of life, so it fits.

The professor begins by handing out several tablets. "This is for writing. It is a type of ice, so don't leave it in the sun..." despite being ice, it's clear as glass, and lukewarm to the touch. It feels wet... but your hands don't have any water on them afterward.
You can write characters on it by pressing with your finger, and erase by smearing. It seems to crystallize under pressure.

"Now then... this is a class about Water, a chief component in quite a few physical. For those of you interested in Life, this class goes well with that type of education. For those who aren't, Water is nonetheless a versatile element. We'll start with the basics of Magic, however, and apologize for those of you who've had morning classes, but some of you opted for evening courses instead of morning courses..."

She covers Kahigan, describing all the basics. This time, though, she focuses on the Go: used for manipulating the natural elements. It is the easiest Kahigan to use, and if humans had tentacles for arms, it would behave just like a third hand. It is resistant to temperature and pressure, and is the prime implement for interacting with Water. The professor brings out a tub of water.

A duplicate image of the tub appears on the glass panes surrounding her desk. A feature to negate the drawbacks of a circular room.

She then displaces some water with her Go. Its outline is clearly visible, and well-defined.

"While water is naturally repulsed by the Go, there are techniques to change the affinity of water, making it inert with respect to Kahigan..."
She drops a paper charm into the tub. It dissolves into the water, and the water rushes to fill the gap left by the Go, almost instantly.

And within the tunnels of the Earth department,

Dan, as usual, goes straight into testing. Primarily taking look into the soul and genetics of the gauntlet itself and then closest stone he can find.

"Oh? But I'm guessing construction method of soul gauntlet is not part of this class. Point me into correct direction after the class, because I'm interested."

"I shall!" Coru assures.

Putting your Me through the gauntlet, you get a short pitchfork-like appendage protruding from your wrist. It's a start...

You inset it into the floor. The soul of a rock seems to be distributed evenly with many copies floating around inside the soul.

Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: October 28, 2016, 03:52:30 pm »

"And how long was that?"
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

wipeout1024

• Bay Watcher
  • I lie, but I tell the truth too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: October 28, 2016, 04:51:50 pm »

Akashi nods at the teacher's statement, and rolls her eyes at Thalstav's remark.
Ain't nobody got time for that.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: October 29, 2016, 04:12:51 am »

"And how long was that?"

(I'm sorry--what are you asking?)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: October 29, 2016, 09:03:56 am »

Sigtext

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: October 29, 2016, 01:42:26 pm »

"So now what?"

Compare rock genetics to what I know of living (or at least, grass and flower) genetics.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: October 29, 2016, 10:42:41 pm »

"What are the limits to these forms?"
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: October 29, 2016, 11:49:52 pm »

"Why would mirrors be able to reflect more then just light? Isn't light unique due to it's lack of mass?"
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: October 30, 2016, 04:05:57 am »

Update 32

Akashi nods at the teacher's statement, and rolls her eyes at Thalstav's remark.

You nod, and roll your eyes.

"What are the limits to these forms?"

"The limit--and I say this because it is gravely important--is that weaving your own thoughts into reality is taxing. Much moreso than activating a spell with the essence already present. By creating such an essence, you have the potential to greatly drain yourself, and perhaps die, if you attempt to create too much. This amount varies from person to person, and I recommend you conduct experimentation in your free time to determine what level of power you are comfortable at..."

"And how long was that?"

"About sixty leagues from here to the peak."

"Why would mirrors be able to reflect more then just light? Isn't light unique due to it's lack of mass?"

"That is our subject of investigation. If mirrors reflect Fire, then other forms of Fire besides Light should be reflectable, in theory. If it reflects Time, then there would be other effects. We wish to investigate if this is possible. Current mirrors reflect only Light, but it would be curious if a natural phenomenon would be so peculiar as to only effect a certain combination of elements, and not their base constituents. Does that sound fair? "

"So now what?"

Compare rock genetics to what I know of living (or at least, grass and flower) genetics.

The floor's soul is unfamiliar, at least insofar as you cannot recognize any of the blocks by touch.

"Rather than an explicit structure, like a living creature has, a rock lacks these features, and instead consists of a variety of forms assembled randomly, or sometimes not randomly, with a certain ruleset."
The floor below you seems like a conglomerate of different minerals. You felt different collections of genes, randomly scattered about, but it is by no means homogeneous.
"The simplest component of Earthweaving is modifying a stone to engrave your own name on it, called a Trace. Most Earthweavers leave a trace of their own personal text on their projects. Fortunately, the form of a Trace can be easily assembled using blocks corresponding to letters of the Higan alphabet. So, in the interest of your future careers, we will teach you how to do it,"

Coru lifts up a slab of stone, and removes a vial from his purple coat. You notice the vial swishing around on its own... and a green haze floats around in the vicinity of the slab.

"Coru" appears on the slab as raised text.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: October 30, 2016, 10:24:55 am »

"Have you considered more distance?"
Sigtext

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35