Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Miners in the militia  (Read 2397 times)

dkcl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Miners in the militia
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2016, 01:17:08 pm »

1. Crosstraining happens much less than people seem to think. In my experience, dwarfs will only attend weapon skill lessons if they already have experience (can be dabbling) in the skill. A speardwarf who never touched an axe will not receive axe lessons from an axedwarf in the same squad.
I've seen cross-training to the tune of maybe a skill level per year when i "contaminated" the skill pool by having dwarfs switch weapons during their career; otherwise, cross-training just doesn't happen. It's a minor issue, and if you directly issue their "for-keeps" weapon types to your recruits, it doesn't happen in the first place. Warning: once crossover experience is present, the dwarf is forever eligible for demonstration training in that skill. Demonstrations check experience/skills, not equipment.

2. Mining quite likely just isn't available for demonstrations: i've only ever had one war miner; she only has miner skill, no standard weapon skills, and she never organised mining demonstrations. There's a dwarf in the squad who immigrated as miner (and still has mining active as labour), and he's evidently never received a refresher mining lesson from the legendary war-miner, he's listed as "dabbling".

PS: Just to drive home the point that cross-training is not a concern normally: the squad with the war-miner is a massively mixed one using all dwarf-made melee weapons - axe, spear, sword, hammer, mace, pick. The only cross-skill weapon knowledge in the entire squad are the "dabbling" miner skill of the macedwarf (immigrated with and later decayed through negligence) and an "adequate (rusty)" sword skill of a speardwarf (must have touched a sword sometime; clearly hasn't seen much cross-training either, or the skill wouldn't have gone rusty). The other eight - all legendary, trained together for years - have no crossover weapon skill whatsoever.
Excellent information, thanks a lot!

And to the others - I'm indeed planning to use miners in my militia, but I wanted to be sure whether they could train with the (even more badass than the miners) axedwarves without ruining either group.

As a plus, armoured & martially skilled miners help when remodelling the caverns. :D
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2016, 02:21:19 pm »

Just FYI; they can't be armored when digging.

dkcl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2016, 04:28:00 pm »

Just FYI; they can't be armored when digging.
Really? I know about uniform-related pick troubles, but why can't they wear their armour while off-duty like every other dwarf?
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2016, 04:37:18 pm »

Because their off-duty uniform is picks (foreign), over clothes, carry no food or drink.

Of course, if they do any military practice or orders, they drop their civvie uniform for military uniform. And vice versa when switching back. And this results in rotting food and miasma, FYI, if they had "carry food" enabled.

Unless you disable mining labour, that is. Expect then they can't dig :P

Haymaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2016, 05:50:25 pm »

Because their off-duty uniform is picks (foreign), over clothes, carry no food or drink.

Of course, if they do any military practice or orders, they drop their civvie uniform for military uniform. And vice versa when switching back. And this results in rotting food and miasma, FYI, if they had "carry food" enabled.

Unless you disable mining labour, that is. Expect then they can't dig :P
Is that so? I swear I saw my back up miner militia wearing atleast some armor when mining in last fort. Thought military outfit always priotizes over hidden job outfits..
But then again, my marksmen squads do tend to hunt with varying amounts of armor on

Indeed, Miner military can be one killer squad as long as you atleast can afford twice amount the picks you need (even more  preferably), have armor stockpile in a convient location so when they switch onduty, they atleast can dressed up fast... and don't mind your miner soldiers reporting for duty half-dressed and half armed.
Pages: 1 [2]