Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarf Caravan stops showing up?  (Read 1320 times)

Spectre9000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Caravan stops showing up?
« on: August 21, 2016, 03:46:56 pm »

Just went through a year and never had a Dwarven Caravan show up. I've had them before, and I'm still seemingly getting migrants. Is there any way to tell what's happening to the outside world and if my civilization has fallen? Also, note I don't have any other neighbors than my civilization. Is it possible that the caravan could just take longer for some reason? v.43 btw.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Caravan stops showing up?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 03:59:00 pm »

If your entire civilization had fallen except for your fort, someone would become monarch there, maybe not immediately.
I think caravans are not actually tracked on the map, so they should not be attackable, but dont quote me on that.

Anyway, they have been known to be buggy, I just read of a guy who gets, nothing but logs and food out of the caravans.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 04:09:44 pm »

Caravans have issues, yes, but the reason Goatmaan only gets food and logs out of it is that he's pushed it beyond its capacity. His fortress as almost 1000 dorfs (probably more if children are counted), and he's using the mechanic that caravans bring logs if you have "too few" of them (I think less than one per dorf). Goatmaan uses up all the logs before the next one, so there's always a maximum demand for logs (I think he said he's nearing his steel production target and will ease down on log consumption). When the logs and food is accounted for, the caravan is full...

However, a lot of people have issues with no show caravans. In addition to that, caravans won't show up if there's a siege going on when the caravan should enter the embark (slightly random time, but definitely in the first month of its season).
You can copy your save, start the fortress in the save, retire that fortress, and then load the copy in Legends Mode to see the status of the Mountainhome, but as said, caravans will probably not be shown.

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 10:43:04 pm »

Patrik,
 To be clear on this...I'm forced to use the mechanic, I didn't even know it existed bedore it started! ! Now its too late. I'm pretty sure I maxxed wood from the dwarfs, when they showed up they brought 774 logs. That's qiute a bit below the forts population! So it's not that I use them all... I am back to harvesting 100+ trees a year, but they are new growth, few logs each. The 10*10. block stockpiles are consuming bins, and I'm trying to make about 30 masterwork ballistae, and about 300 more beds. Then there's the steel. Apparently the vamps got the armorsmiths, so its slow going.
Also the lack of logs prevents migrants, wich is ok for now. Without steel armor to put them in, it'd be just more xclothesx to deal with!

19 months ago I started Anvillocked with the goal of a 1000 adult dwarf fort.
 Apparently I made 2 mistakes. Paving the map, and wasting logs. (Seasonal fertilizing 9 5*5 plots for YEARS!!)
Anvillocked. Without this log "mechanic" our anvils are truly locked.
 With this log "mechanic" we receive NO migrants, preventing the 1000 adult goal.
How's that for irony?
Thanks Toady, love your game!

Goatmaan

Ps. We reached a high of 997 total dwarfs. Then I made the "young" haulers, made some stone piles, some ore piles....when they got full, I said hmnn... what else needs hauled... ran clean owned scattered x, and for the first time ever overloaded multiple 1*3 stairs, 52(?) dead.!! Quatum happiness shift, oh yay!! Someone tantrumed and destroyed the door keeping the 2 vamps in the mausoleum...and the badass captain of the guard is punching dwarfs to death for mandate/production violations. Happy days.
Speaking of days, a game day takes 7 minutes, 10 seconds.  :o
 We won't be done anytime soon.
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 12:29:52 am »

@Goatmaan: I'm not accusing you or anything, just explaining why you're is a rather unusual situation, in an attempt to hinder the creation of a rumor about a non existent "trading bug".

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 12:49:46 am »

I didn't think you were, and you did a pretty good summary!!
I was just explaining my end of it.
This mechanic is the best way to get logs. 774 logs hauled to the depot for you, you just have to use them. Could be exploited very easy. And if you buy all the logs, the "garbage trucks" can really haul, even the elves!!.
The 2nd year the elves brought logs I was ready for the high allowed weight.
The image of the elven caravan leaving the map, bowed beneath the weight of lead bars, carried in stinky xsocksx, is a fond one!

Goatmaan

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 01:57:23 am »

This whole thing got me rethinking my strategy of stockpiling blocks out on the surface, while thinning the young forest. And the game years it'll take for steel and population goals are met.
I have "very deep" soil. I'm pretty sure I've previously removed a soil z level.
I have a lot of miners. I have some gametime ahead of me.
Why not just drop the map, and the floor becomes the roof over the forest.
If it causes pathing issues, it can't tank the fps  :P

Goatmaan

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 07:32:24 am »

Oh yes, it CAN tank the FPS. My single attempt to make an obsidianization trap was cut short after the test run. While it showed the principle to be sound and working, it also displayed an FPS of 0 (but it wasn't actually 0, just a fair bit lower than 1...).

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 08:14:23 am »

Caving in large areas can tank FPS even after cave-in is done?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 04:58:51 pm »

If it screws up pathing, yes. Supposedly large scale strip mining of the surface has a bad effect on pathing.

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 05:09:28 pm »

Starting with 3 fps, there's not much to tank!!
I changed my mind tho, 40 19 has the tree crash bug right?
Besides outside trees get too tall, I'd have to raise the roof and drop the floor.
After reading the wiki, I'll be saving oak and birch for ballista arrows.
Couldn't find anything on outdoor tree heights.
I was going to replace the surface with flooring, leaving it at the level it was, to avoid pathing issues.

Goatmaan

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 10:45:54 pm »

Well, tanking the FPS from 3 to 0.3 will definitely hurt...

Surface trees mature just fine with a 2 tile headroom, but won't grow further, if I understand it correctly (my junglification research has shown sapling maturing under the canopy of a tree at Z+2, but not Z+1). The wiki has info on max height for various trees (on a per species basis), and I think highwood tops it at 12, but checking is safer than hazy memories.

And the ballista arrows should really be blood-thorn, I think.

I'm not sure replacing the ground by building a floor afterwards restores pathing, but have no info on it. Of course, if you just channel away the first two soil levels but leave the ground intact pathing ought not to be affected, but the tree farm should then become a cavern tree one.

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 12:32:12 am »

I'll have to do some tests to check for trees growing into floor. I have a small spot I can use.
Is there any problems removing murky pools? I have a lot of them, many already channeled to rectangle to ease previous paving. They only get water on the orginal pool bottom. Guess I could just dig one deeper huh?

Just lost 15 game days to a crash. 13 of those days I had 17 idlers. My dwarfs hauled their asses off...max size booze pile filled, and granite stone piles refilled from far edge of map, by hand. Plus the mining out there to get the stone. Proved the 3 wide hallway grid works for the hauling tho.
Just have to redo it.
Game crashed on the tic to 15th day of spring. Damn elves.

The bloodthorn will wait until population goal is met, then we dig down. Ill keep oak and birch on hand in case of a 40 year king of the hill in the first cavern. :P

Goatmaan

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 04:11:57 am »

The "murkiness" property of a murky pool floor is lost if you make a floor and remove it (or keep it). I suspect a paved road (and possibly even a dirt one) would do as well, but haven't tried that.

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2016, 04:02:39 pm »

After checking the map it seems the damage is already done.
IF fireclay is a viable tree root soil, the best I could do is 3z trees, and that on about 1/3 of the map. Without raising the original ground level (pathing) its not really worth it..
After reading the wiki, I'm still not sure about the soil thickness thing.

Goatmaan
Pages: [1] 2