Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Let's Play Pokemon: White! (Ranlocke!) - Blatant Kirby References  (Read 13992 times)

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Pokemon: White! (Suddenly a Ranlocke!) - Pick Your Starter!
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2016, 08:15:03 am »

Vol... Vol seems like a proper name.

Also, I like how you are gaining some pretty good mons here. Bagon will serve you well! Provided it survives till evolution anyways~!
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
  • A sarcastic, weird nerd of many things. That's me.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Pokemon: White! (Suddenly a Ranlocke!) - Pick Your Starter!
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2016, 08:32:07 am »

Oh God, Team Plasma. My Pokemon experience nowadays consists of Tamashii Hiroka, JWittz, the Anime up to Diamond and Pearl, and a browser based Emulator of Red. Still, it's thanks to said Youtubers that I know that Blanc's gonna have fun with them.

With my life story out of the way, Vol sounds fantastic. Might as well live a bit of it's dream out, eh?
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.
I desire, for whatever reason, to create Space Louisiana.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Pokemon: White! (Ranlocke!) - Dragon' our feet.
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2016, 04:20:47 pm »

I am also a fan of vol as a name.
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

((Another plot-heavy update, I'm afraid. Hopefully the next one will involve more battles.))

Part II: Stirrings of Trouble

I named the critter Vol, to encourage it. Not that I ever expect it to fly, but I need something on my side in case Meutre decides to come after me. I quickly discovered that, despite the way it acted in battle, Vol was actually pretty laid-back. In fact, it almost seemed pleased to be captured, despite the way it was injured. I went home so that we could all get a good night's rest.

The next day, the sun was shining bright as I set out towards Route 1 again. It's pretty clear that Vol can't possibly take on Meutre at this point. She needs to get stronger. If that means willingly exposing myself to possibly dozens of wild pokemon, so be it.

D8

Vol immediately jumped at the flying fish, roaring and ramming it repeatedly. It's kinda scary the way its personality can change so rapidly. The "Mantine" fought back with bubble attacks, which hardly did any damage but served only to further enrage the little dinosaur. Eventually, Vol latched on with its jaws and ignored repeated smacks from the Mantine's tail until the opponent simply stopped moving.

Vol looked quite a bit stronger from this one battle, though I didn't like the look of the purple stuff in its wounds. I quickly got us back to my house, where Mom patched it up.

((So. Apparently poison in Gen5 no longer deals damage outside of battle. Kinda renders one of my self-imposed rules void...
Can't complain too much, I guess, otherwise Vol almost certainly would have been killed by the Mantine's Poison Point just after it hit level 5 and learned Bite. Did you notice that abilities are randomized as well? Cuz they are.))

The bright side of all of this is that Vol is, in theory, now capable of defeating Meutre. Not that I intend to kill one of my own pokemon - I'm not a monster - but at least I have betrayal insurance. Feeling a bit better about my odds of survival, I decide to press on to Accumula Town.

This woman gave me a healing potion for free! That's nice of her.

It's nice to know that my friends have each managed to get an extra pokemon. Hopefully none of theirs are planning on absorbing their souls or eating them or some other terrible thing.

Suddenly, our Xtransceivers began to ring!

(I replaced my Xtransceiver's live video feed with an old photo months ago.)
"You and your pokemon are getting along great now, right?" We all responded in a chorus of nods and "mm-hm"s. "Right now, I'm in front of Accumula Town's Pokemon Center! I'd like to show you around, so hurry on over, everyone!"

Bianca repeated the destination to herself, locking it into her mind, and Juniper broke the connection. Cheren and Bianca went on ahead while I checked the sign near the town entrance.

Doesn't look like such a bad place.

Juniper was looking somewhat impatient when I arrived, but waved my apologies aside and led me into the Pokemon Center.

Haven't been inside one of these for years, and I can't help but feel ever so slightly nostalgic. Bianca and I both get our pokemon patched up with the nurse, then Juniper got us registered in the PC system. All things I knew at some point. But then, the Professor showed me something different than what we had in Kanto.

Pokemarts and Pokemon Centers in the same building? Genius! I'm not even a big fan of pokemon in general and this is still a good idea.

Her tour concluded, Professor Juniper told us that she'd be heading back to Nuvema Town to get back to her research. She also gave us an assignment: go to Striaton City and meet with a colleague of hers named Fennel. She's an inventor, apparently.

Having absolutely no desire to fall victim to wild pokemon, I spent quite a lot of my saved money on potions and pokeballs. Bianca, being somewhat poorer, was stuck trying to make the most of her limited funds. I offered to spot her a potion or two, but she smiled and refused.

Outside, I could hear and see a crowd forming in the town square. Having nothing better to do, I wandered over to see what was going on. The route to Striation was in that direction anyway. As I approached, Cheren (who was standing in the front row of the crowd) waved me over to a free spot. I saw something...strange. A large group of men and women, wearing bizarre uniforms and standing at attention. Before I could ask Cheren what the hell was going on, the group parted and a man stepped through. He wore long, ornate robes and some sort of monocle over one eye. After a moment, the man spoke.

"I am here representing Team Plasma."

Oh? Interesting.

Ghetsis paced back and forth in front of the assembled crowd, continuing his speech. "I'm sure most of you believe that we humans and pokemon are partners that have come to live together because we 'want' and 'need' each other. However...is that really the truth? Have you ever considered that perhaps we humans...only assume that this is the truth?"

Kinda, yeah...

"Pokemon are subject to the selfish commands of trainers...they get pushed around when they are our 'partners' at work..."

After the muttering of the crowd died down, Ghetsis resumed. "Now, ladies and gentlemen, pokemon are different from humans. They are living beings that contain unknown potential."

That's...not really a difference though, is it?

"They are living beings from whom we humans have much to learn."

That last was shouted out by a young man, maybe my own age, sharing the front row with Cheren. I couldn't see him well through the crowd, but it looked like he had...green hair?

Ghetsis was either quick on his feet, or he had expected the response. "Correct! We must liberate the pokemon! Then, and only then, will humans and pokemon truly be equals. Everyone...I end my words here today by imploring you to consider the relationship between people and pokemon...and the correct way to proceed. We sincerely appreciate your attention."

With that, the members of "Team Plasma" efficiently took down their banners, formed ranks around Ghetsis, and marched away. The conversation began almost immediately.

"Liberate pokemon? That's not even possible!"
"I mean, he made some good points..."
"Mommy, can I go play with Growlie?"
"Buncha nutcases if you ask me."
"Some sort of cult? Those uniforms..."

The crowd broke up a short time later, with nothing resembling a consensus reached. The young man I noticed before approached Cheren and myself. He looked surprisingly nervous, and spoke in a rapid-fire near-whisper.

"Just now, it was saying..."

Cheren gave the stranger a look just barely short of a scowl. "Slow down, you talk too fast. And what's this about pokemon...talking? That's an odd thing to say."

Green-hair didn't seem to notice Cheren's attitude. He nodded eagerly. "Yes, they're talking. Surely you've...oh. You two can't hear them either...how sad." He studied the two of us intensely for a moment. "My name is N."

Cheren made the introductions for the two of us. I was a bit too intimidated by the staring to do it myself. "I'm Cheren, and this is Blanc. We were asked to complete the Pokedex, and we just started our journey." He hesitated for a brief moment before forging ahead. "My main goal is to become the Champion, though."

That wasn't a surprise. If anyone had the will and skill to become Champion, it was Cheren. N, however, looked downright scornful.

"So...you're going to confine many, many pokemon in pokeballs for that, then. I'm a trainer too, but I can't help wondering...are pokemon really happy that way?"

Suddenly he took a step towards me, reaching for the pokeball attached to his belt! "Well, Blanc, is it? Let me hear the voice of your pokemon again!"

Cheren, help!

Cheren, unfortunately, was caught flat-footed and couldn't react in time to prevent N from unleashing his pokemon against me. Sheer terror allowed me to release Vol in time to intercept his initial attack. The dinosaur was even able to counterattack, but clearly came off worst in the exchange.

Vol growled something, almost in response, but I wasn't paying attention to that. My mind was working overtime and I remembered that Mankey, a fighting type, would fair poorly against ghosts. And I just so happened to have a ghost...untrustworthy she might be, but Meutre was probably my best hope. I recalled Vol and sent out my deathcandle.

It worked! N actually looked rather shocked.

Meutre's ember attacks left N completely unable to respond, and before long the Mankey staggered from severe burns. The battle was all but over.

Now that he wasn't in danger of getting caught between two battling pokemon, Cheren managed to shove N away from me with a most un-Cheren-like snarl. N, for his part, didn't seem inclined to resist. He just continued staring at me, and spoke slowly. "As long as pokemon are confined in pokeballs...pokemon will never become perfect beings. I have to change the world for pokemon, because they're my friends." And with that, he walked away.

"What a nutcase...you okay, Blanc?" I nodded, still overwhelmed from an adrenaline rush and unable to respond with anything but a grateful hand on his shoulder. This seemed to fluster him for some reason, and he quickly changed the subject. "Well, I'm not going to worry about what that Ghetsis guy said. Trainers and pokemon help each other out! Listen, I'm going to go on ahead. If I want to become the Unovan Champion, I'll need to beat all of the Gym Leaders, and the first one is in Striaton City. You should think about doing the same, assuming you want to become a stronger trainer. Take care of yourself, Blanc." And he took off. I took the opportunity to heal Vol. I didn't want to follow my friend just yet, for a very good reason.

Some of what Ghetsis said...I guess it spoke to me. I certainly wouldn't be too upset if pokemon and humans were to live completely apart from each other. At the very least, there woudn't be random maniacs like N attacking me. Even better, I wouldn't be...well, the current me.

I wonder if Team Plasma has representatives I can get in touch with...?

By the time the Pokemon Center was done, night had fallen. I passed through a checkpoint on my way to Route 2, where I had been warned that trainers (both legal and illegal) trolled for battles. I would have to be careful while looking for a spare pokemon.

...but before I could reach the grass, my Xtransceiver began to ring.

Mom?

"How are things? Are you and your pokemon getting along and enjoying your journey so far?"

Ehh...

"I needed to talk to you, so I'm going to hang up now."

Wait, what?

AGH don't scare me like that :<

"I finally caught up with you, and look how far you've come already! Juni said that you'd probably be heading for Striaton City, and I had another present for you, so I had to run to catch up. Go ahead Blanc, try these on!"

Whoa :O

"You can go anywhere in a flash with these! I bought these a long time ago and stashed them away, then found them while I was cleaning up, so..." Mom's voice trailed off as she examined me, checking to make sure I hadn't lost limbs or the will to live or anything like that, and gave me a soft smile. "Don't forget, Blanc, that you're never alone. You have your friends, you have your new pokemon...and you always have your mom. Keep your chin up, and try to have fun on your trip!"

...I have the best mom.

Alright Blanc, time to focus. You're gonna need more pokemon, in case N or someone else tries to attack you again. Let's do this.

It's one of those annoying birds that flock back home! Thankfully, Vol's teeth quickly convince it to surrender.

Quote from: Pidove, the Tiny Pigeon Pokemon
These pokemon live in cities. They are accustomed to people. Flocks often gather in parks and plazas.

So what should I name this little guy?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How about Gressins (breadsticks)? Cause feeding pigeons bread? Pain would be bread and I figured we could go with less immediately edgy names.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

+1 to Gressins

Also, cool update! Blanc seems to be getting a bit more fleshed out, and it's nice to see her reaction to a change I was only slightly aware about: Pokestops and shops in the same place? Nice! Also...Cheren getting flustered by a hand on his shoulder? Quite interesting...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 05:18:46 am by Greatness942 »
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

Gressins, aye.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile

Gressins. Also. Even in Ranlocke, you aren't safe from Route 1 Fodder. That is fantastic. ^.^
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I didn't get to head home tonight, and in my experience once I spend a night on the road I'm likely to stay there for the rest of the week.

Baring some sort of miracle the next update will be delayed until this weekend :l

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't mind a wait, really. I'll be here, and so will the rest of us.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 05:47:50 am by Greatness942 »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I somehow managed to get home tonight...but I'm flipping exhausted. Sorry for breaking my implied promise ._.

Have a short update to meet the newest member of the team!

As you can see, it's a pretty standard bird...with a very non-standard ability. Combined with Meutre's Shield Dust, Blanc's team looks to be pretty well-protected from various nastiness.

Shame that Vol's ability is completely useless to her, but they can't all be winners.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Shield Dust blocks status effects, it looks like, and Magic Guard means nothing like burning or poison, right? So that's two Pokemon who complement a physical playstyle. I'm going to like our newest member.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Shield Dust prevents effects that are in addition to damage; Psychic attacks can't cause confusion, Bite can't cause flinching, etc. On the other hand, moves that just cause effects (Supersonic, Thunder Wave, and so on) will still work.

Magic Guard basically blocks all damage that isn't the result of a direct attack. Burns and poison won't deal DoT (though the pokemon is still afflicted and burns still lower physical attack power), but it also renders moves like Leech Seed ineffective. It also supposedly prevents recoil damage from moves like Take Down, which I'm not sure Pidove can learn anyway.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah, okay. Thanks Sirus. Like I said, it's been a while, and I don't think abilities were touched upon in the Gen I-IV anime. Nice to know!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

Things have got weird since the red/blue days when i played.
Suddenly, pokemon have personalities and special abilities.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7