Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 31

Author Topic: Sneaktunnels, a CATastrophic dungeon  (Read 72370 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sneaktunnels, a CATastrophic dungeon [RECRUITING]
« Reply #240 on: October 18, 2016, 02:52:35 am »

If possible, dwarf a new migrant as "Salmeuk II". I would prefer it if they were some sort of mason, architect, or engraver, but it's not too important. Also, upon arrival they do not reveal themselves as kin of Salmeuk, so don't include them in the Council. Just yet.

The bold quotations added so much XD

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 18, 2016, 05:24:17 am »

If possible, dwarf a new migrant as "Salmeuk II". I would prefer it if they were some sort of mason, architect, or engraver, but it's not too important. Also, upon arrival they do not reveal themselves as kin of Salmeuk, so don't include them in the Council. Just yet.
Should I add you to the waitlist?
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 18, 2016, 05:58:34 am »

*amused* at that opening scene.

Scenes in general.

It feels like being alone in a world of chatbots or small-talk.

I myself never bother to turn off tallow-cooking, but then again I never make more than 10 soap bars at a time.

No flux layers on map? Ouch. Might as well go straight to adamantine.

That's pretty large rest stop. Do you foresee lot of dwarves being around it, then?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 18, 2016, 09:06:53 am »

I check Mea's relationships, only Snow show as friendly terms, and not Northwind or Zast.

What's funny is that the 2nd son, Gwolfski, and Salmeuk also shows in the relationship, which I can "v"iew. 
I thought they were alive for a second, until I see something about Holdings: Grave. 
And their description is "his upper body is gone."
But there is also the "last words" or "current thoughts" in the first line of their description window. 

So, I used those quotes for speciesunk0wn, Northwind and Arcvasti.  Zast was sleeping so there was no line for the current thought.

Tallow cooking is already off, so I just order a manager to make 10 each wooden bucket, ash, lye, and soap from tallow.  Hopefully that's enough to make more soap.

p. s. I can't find the Magnetite vein in the northwest of the first cavern.  Unless I'm suppose to dig exploratory grid near there?  I did not dig much as there are plenty of stones and ores to process.  And it is taking much time to construct (floor and walls) that ragged first cavern we decided to live in.

Regarding rest stop; I usually make something like a safety bunker with raising bridges, and expand with a spare pick, anvil, wood and seeds.  But since we keep all entrances open, this might turn into a barracks for a military line of defense against cavern 3 which is quite open, and that central stairs is the only path. 

I may not have time to do a single trap hall for all caverns (any maybe surface).  The kitchen area is getting too crowded that masterful mussel roasts are rotting in the kitchen itself.  Had to do a quick storage room for food .

ReynTheLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Edible beserk! now available in masterwork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 18, 2016, 04:05:50 pm »

If possible, Get a Dwarf called Reyn (Whatever comes after the reyn part is up to you), and Have them be Military, Captain or otherwise
I am currently trying to comprehend what sick, mad, dwarven mind came up with the fortress name "Lancefondled", because it wasn't me.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 18, 2016, 06:34:19 pm »

The bold quotations added so much XD

Check your pm please Salmeuk, thanks.

I'd love to play! My dorf's name is Pikachu17(didn't expect that, right?) and he's a hammerdwarf. his profession name is "Zealot of X", where X is his deity's name. He will take any opportunity to promote his deity.
Done.
Military - Hammer
`Pikachu17', "Zealot of Stettad", skilled hammerdwarf
Stettad Kithalotil Kovest Letmos "Stettad Azurejade the Pearl of Cobalt" is a deity of The Book of Packing.  Stettad most often takes the form of a female dwarf and is associated with jewels and wealth.
Pikachu17 is 133 years old, is indetagigable and strong.  She dreams of creating a great work of art, likes horn silver and electrum.

If possible, Get a Dwarf called Reyn (Whatever comes after the reyn part is up to you), and Have them be Military, Captain or otherwise
Done.
Military - Hammer
`Reynblade' Beachguild, "Capt. Reynblade" skilled sworddwarf
Reynblade is 53 years old, is almost never sick, very agile, and slow to tire.  She dreams of raising a family someday and this dream was realized.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 06:45:14 pm by Sanctume »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 18, 2016, 06:56:18 pm »

Ch 2: The Points of Interests

1 Felsite, 254

It’s late spring already when Kumil finally stopped babbling about and began a mysterious construction in the Leatherworks.  I am curious, yet I am not interested at something that isn’t made of metal.  We have iron bars available!

Oh well, it is a truly a pathetic piece of uselessness.  A single dog leather shoe.  What fool will wear just one shoe?  I suppose it is an artwork.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hey Kumil, you are now “Miner Kumil” so go dig out my magma filling and draining facility.

Moving on.  I am still not familiar with the layout of Sneaktunnels, so I am going to start on the surface and follow my path inside.

I look outside in these sun baked dunes, and vomited.  This must be a bad case of cave adaptation, or crap, I think I’m pregnant again. 

It’s time to head inside and make sense of this maze of a fortress for the rest of this season. 

There are double granite bridges designed by the great architect Salmeuk.  The bridges lay open over the stream which lead into a three-wide dirt hall filled with stone-fall and weapon traps.

Let me find a landmark of sorts to help me orient myself within Sneaktunnels.  The granite block trade depot is here placed on dirt in the middle of a u-turn of the dirt ramp from the surface and down to Sneaktunnels.

Perhaps the barracks is a point of interest.  Well, this is a sorry sight.  Beyond a cryolite door of the trade depot is a moss floored training yard with an adjacent archery range.

This training yard is a barracks built on the dirt around a rock coffer, and just 1 level below the sunbaked desert floor.  At least here is an interesting artifact bone weapon rack displayed here. 

The archery range adjacent to the south does not look like it is regularly used.

I continue my descent into Sneaktunnels, happy to be away from the sun and into the dark cool shelter of stone.  The three-wide path continues around the trade depot then down deeper with some cage traps and onto a proper smoothed granite hallway that I dub as First Crossroad.

A foul whiff of miasma greets my unsuspecting nostrils.

First Crossroad
Spoiler: First Crossroad (click to show/hide)

The First Crossroad has been engineered to have raising granite bridges that can become walls turning this area into a path of east to west from the surface.

The north path of the First Crossroad leads into the The Forge.

To the south, leads into a smoke filled hall leading down onto a miasma and filled cavern floor.  This is an unsecured path into the caverns that I will wall off for now.

To the west continues the smoothed granite floor and it is now choked with miasma. 
A room is half-filled with coffins serves as a resting place for the fallen of Sneaktunnels.

Further to the west, the hall narrows down to two-wide with ramps leading down to the first cavern, and also to The Main Stairs that eventually lead down to the magma sea.

The Forge

The Forge currently has 1 magma smelter, 2 magma forges, and has a capacity for up to 3 magma forges and up to 9 magma smelters.

So I will have 2 batches of 16 magma-filled iron minecarts to make The Forge fully operational.  I ordered 3 iron wheelbarrows, 1 iron pipe section, 1 enormous iron corkscrew, and 16 iron minecarts.

There is a path leading out onto the first cavern that I ordered to be walled shut for now.  I want minimal and secured access to all exits and entrances into Sneaktunnels.

There is also a mason’s and mechanic’s shop erected to make use of the stone clutters in the area. 

A granite “Defence Lever” that raises the First Crossroad bridges is here.

There is a a single up stairs across the lever, and it leads into a farm plot and up to to the Fisher Wharf.  The Fisher Wharf is unsecured, so I plan to put grates and walls.

I will also plan put a garbage chute from the Fisher Wharf down to behind the Defence Lever’s wall.

18 Felsite, 254

My tour of the place is interrupted by a gremlin emptying a cage.  Whichever squad is on hand went to investigate.  Catten, The BONE CRAFTER-MITE UNCRAFTER jammed a silver warhammer through the gremlin’s skull.

Spoiler: Catten v Gremlin (click to show/hide)

Well, that looks like cavern #3 and it is wide open as per Sneaktunnels policy.  But this does not mean, The Main stairs has to be exposed this easily.  Maybe I will have time to address this discrepancy.

--
The Crafts

There is a pair of down stairs from the Defense Lever leading to The Crafts.  This is a modest size area carved within the available pillars of the first cavern. 

There is a natural bridge to a room big enough for a Craftshop.  The natural bridge has a view overlooking the caverns and it is just a big invitation to unwanted visitors.  I must secure this flaw.

There are also windows looking out holes to the cavern that just invite destroyers, “break in here” with dazzling gems.

I draft a plan for constructions for The Crafts.

Spoiler: The Crafts (click to show/hide)

One level below The Crafts are modest quarters.  One level of The Armored House library is also here.

--
Old Town

Old Town is situated 2 levels below The Crafts. 

Here I can find the meeting hall, the kitchen, the food stores, the first floor of The Armored House library, the hospital, the nest boxes, the cages with captives, and a general storage pile.

There are many passages leading out to the first cavern from Old Town.  I will create a gatehouse that immediately exits to the north, and keep it shut temporarily during constructions.  This gatehouse will be used for strategic purposes as the “always open passage” will be situated further west.

I found the decent office of Mayor Northwind, and will dig to expand to house a few more furnitures he requires.

Spoiler: Old Town (click to show/hide)

onciblu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 18, 2016, 09:13:20 pm »

Oh, other thing I forgot to mention is that I set up a dump zone on the forge, in one or the unused mama hole. So try to not dump anything heavy or magma mist will fill the workspace.
Ô_ quack

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: October 18, 2016, 10:38:28 pm »

Oh, other thing I forgot to mention is that I set up a dump zone on the forge, in one or the unused mama hole. So try to not dump anything heavy or magma mist will fill the workspace.
But there was magma dump already.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 19, 2016, 05:20:47 am »

I suppose it does really have that "carved dungeon" feel. Feels labyrinthine.

Also, military is so going to dodge into caverns.

I notice the shoe says Sneaktunnel has a wizard who did something.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 19, 2016, 09:16:08 am »

nominating quote for quote bank
I look outside in these sun baked dunes, and vomited.  This must be a bad case of cave adaptation, or crap, I think I’m pregnant again.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 19, 2016, 09:52:38 am »

I suppose it does really have that "carved dungeon" feel. Feels labyrinthine.

Also, military is so going to dodge into caverns.

I notice the shoe says Sneaktunnel has a wizard who did something.

Yeah, it's a pain to try and secure 3 z-levels of that cavern jagged pillars formation.

I mean, there is the main path from First Crossroad heading far to the west, then channel back down and around and straight into Old Town. 

From First Crossroad, 2 z-levels worth of stairs leads into bedrooms, The Crafts, and Old Town. 

I have not even began understanding the "New Fort" dig site that looks like it is a large crypt, and day care / bedrooms.

That barracks is temporary, I hope.  It is just too crowded there in Old Town, but my focus is the squad formation, training, hauling magma up for faster armory.

onciblu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 19, 2016, 02:53:36 pm »

But there was magma dump already.

Yep, dwarfs were traveling 100 z levels up and down to dump a XsockX
Ô_ quack

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #253 on: October 19, 2016, 03:15:55 pm »

put me on the waitlist
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 19, 2016, 06:30:45 pm »

Ch 3: Ironborn

Spring has gone, summer has come, and all the while I was busy coordinating various constructions.

The Fisher Wharf is set with a grate for fishing, walls and ceiling for the solitary productivity of Nil Tattooedcloister, our fisherdwarf.

A garbage chute is constructed for proper refuse disposal of the Fisheries that leads down past a farm plot room, and on to the Defense Lever area. 

All other garbage dumps, even into magma, are removed.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

1 Malachite, Mid-Summer

Mussel roasts are so abundant that they begin to rot in the kitchens.  I found a dig site to make more rooms for food and drinks storage.

The walls and floors constructions are ongoing with only one mishap collapse so far, and no fatality. 

There are also ghosts roaming the halls.  I ordered the available coffins to be lain, and have the available slabs engraved.  I ordered more coffins and slabs.

Some of my weapons and armor orders are in, so I am taking this time to re-organize the military with the proper metal uniforms consisting of: breastplate, mail shirt, helm, gauntlets, high boots, greaves, and respective metals weapons.  Wooden shield will suffice.  There is a shortage of backpacks, but that is a worry for later.

Spoiler: The Squads (click to show/hide)

28 Malachite
I approved a petition earlier for a performer or was it a scholar.  Anyhow, some migrants have arrived, despite the danger.  One of the new arrival claims a familiar name; nevertheless, Sneaktunnel’s population rises to 104.  Welcome citizens and soldiers alike!

1. Salmeuk II., Stoneworker “Mason Salmeuk II”
2. Urist Grizzlyiron, Jeweler “Jeweler Urist”
3. Id Lashtrained, comp Spear “Spear Id”
4. Sarvesh Polishedcloisters comp Spear “Spear Sarvesh”
5. Goden Bridgeflow, comp Hammer “Hammer Goden”
6. Feb Knightlashes, comp Marksdwarf “Xbow Feb”
7. Rith Flukewheeled, “Miner Rith”
8. Geshud “Mason Geshud”

7 Galena, Late Summer
a black bear parchment sheet, dimple dye ink -- signed by Sigun Oartrust
I value eloquence, and proper for a girl my age of 2, I take upon this moment to document the strange possession that fevers in my mother’s eyes.

Ma` Mea bursts out of our meager quarters and runs towards The Forge where she claims a magma forge. 

Nobles, soldiers, peasants, and laborers alike make way and are deemed helpless at the barrage of demands of Blacksmith Mea. 

Mayor Northwind remembers that Mea mocking that dog leather shoe, so he forbade all metal bars except iron when Mea mumbles, “bars... metal”. 

Mea continues in a frenzy pace gathering an incomprehensible group of items: a boulder of phyllite, an ore of tetrahedrite, a rough clear garnet, a bundle of alpaca wool cloth, rose cut black zircon, and someone named Inod Atheligam’s bones.  Then nothing. 

1 Limestone
a giant jaguar parchment sheet, dimple dye ink -- signed by Sigun Oartrust
It has been almost a full month and Ma` Mea continues mumbling a list of items. 

Mister Arcvasti II suggests that perhaps Mea mumbles “cloth... thread” many more times, so he proceeds to check the stocks.  There are plenty of silk threads and cloths, plant threads and cloths, but no more yarn thread or wool cloth.  A few days later alone with a sheep, Mister Arcvasti II excitedly sheared and spun sheep wool cloth that Mea immediately grabs while still wet and sticky.

Finally, Blacksmith Mea began a mysterious construction. 

Two days later, on the 3rd of Limestone, Sanctumea Outragerags gave birth to a baby boy, my brother, Dumat Laboredgrasped right on the iron anvil of the magma forge.

This unusual event did not deter Mea in her creation.  Dumat Laboredgrasped gurgles, “Gama” and crawls towards the metal bar bins.

It took 2 more days when Mea created Dumed Thazor, “The Fortification of Discovering”, an iron shield.  Now that ordeal is done, Mea straps the iron shield on her back and began seeking for the infant.

Spoiler: Dumed Thazor (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 31