Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 31

Author Topic: Sneaktunnels, a CATastrophic dungeon  (Read 72454 times)

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
Re: Sneaktunnels, a CATastrophic succession dungeon
« Reply #120 on: September 14, 2016, 11:43:23 pm »

- Eggcooking is eh...Very point-efficient, but adds an extra layer of management. Though, since this is 0.43 I guess you can use manager (or stockflow in .42, I guess) and job-material to set up automated egg roasting.

I meant that any eggs they produced would almost immediately be whisked away and then cooked, since we've got lots and lots of egg-cookery going on already.

The theory of EGGrything by Arcvasti the self-proclaimed cat king.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 15, 2016, 04:59:40 am »

I meant that any eggs they produced would almost immediately be whisked away and then cooked, since we've got lots and lots of egg-cookery going on already.

I think you might already know this and I'm just misunderstanding things, but you can forbid the eggs to prevent that from happening. Or you can do what I do and build the nest boxes in a room and lock the crocs inside (assuming we eventually get two). That way you don't have to watch the boxes for the exact moment the eggs are laid, and can instead get on with your catpocalypse or whatever it is you are up to.

And Fleetingframes, you don't have to move to remove your stuck weapon in adventure mode. Press "I" and choose your (IIRC, the color might be different now) purple-highlighted weapon. Your hero will attempt to remove it from whatever poor beastie you're fighting via a strength check. I assume it's a strength check, at least.

Also I would like to take credit for purchasing speciesunkn0wn's steel spear from the first caravan. I am so good at this game haha omg

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If you end up trapping the topside entrance, make sure the caravans still have a way to the depot, since traps block their pathing. In case you didn't already know, of course.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 15, 2016, 06:28:19 am »

You can also forbid eggs from cooking and not have any egg food stockpiles, but double airlock is better for FPS.

And huh, I'll try that next time. I'm bad/haven't done much at adv mode :P

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 15, 2016, 08:20:40 am »

Credited Salmeuk, also are the dates right?
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 15, 2016, 07:55:09 pm »

From the diary of Arvasti, self-proclaimed King of All Cats

4th Moonstone:

There are five ambushing goblins we can see. One of them near the trade depot, the rest clustered near the entrance bridge. The one near the trade depot tries to slay a cat and is easily slain by Carefulrogue. They’re mostly recruits, with only one trained soldier among them. This will be a slaughter.

5th Moonstone:

Or not. There was another squad of speargoblins lying in wait outside the entrance proper, and they seem to have better training. We still have the advantage, but not by much.

6th Moonstone:

We easily slay the goblins lurking near the trade depot, but the second squad is still outside. I order a charge.

7th Moonstone:

The charge was a success. Mostly. The goblins are all dead and we lost nobody. That said, the new recruits sustained some arm and leg wounds and will need medical care.

8th Moonstone:

I’ve noticed something interesting: Wooden wheelbarrows carrying minecarts full of magma deteriorate quickly and break, probably due to the heat. Why dwarves can carry them bare-handed with no injury when sturdy wood burns up with a mere touch I don’t know. At least we have plenty of wood now, so we can spare replacing the wheelbarrows every couple months or so.

14th Moonstone:

We don’t have any crutches or splints. I order some made. I also have some better traps set up, using some of the weapons the goblins had. Also there’s another ghost, this time a grown-up ghost of a pump operator. They’re cool, they can stay. Just sort of waft around enjoying the sights. Actually, that sounds pretty nice. I’d like to die unmemorialized, so that I never really leave this wonderful place.

16th Moonstone:

Today I was approached by a delegation of cats. They informed me that they were highly upset that no one was eating their incredibly thoughtful gifts of dead vermin. I responded with the fact that most of them were too small or too rotten. We eventually settled on a compromise position: From now on, we dump the dead vermin in the magma pit. That way the charitable gifts of the cats don’t lie on the floor decomposing and we don’t have to eat them.

24th Moonstone:

We now have a magma kiln. This marks the last real magma-powered industry to be completed. We still lack a magma glass furnace, but we only have a few [imported]bags of sand anyways.

26th Moonstone:

One of my dogs had puppies. Adorable. There’s a huge dog pack following me around now. Which come to think about it, is one reason why I won’t be reelected. Or, rather, why I WASN’T reelected. I’ve officially been replaced as leader of this fortress. Which is all for the better, honestly. There are more interesting projects for me to pursue with my time. In about a week, once I get my affairs in order, I’ll turn over command completely.

Here are things as they stand.

Here's the save

Credited Salmeuk, also are the dates right?

Within about a week, yes. I don't always pay attention to when things are happening and I dislike having more then two events in one day, so I split them up a little.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 15, 2016, 09:07:58 pm »

Hm. How many magma holes did you end up filling in the end, more than 3? Still, nice that got completed and the kitties appeased.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 15, 2016, 10:01:26 pm »

How many magma holes did you end up filling in the end, more than 3?

Exactly three. One Magma Smelter, one Magma Forge and one Magma Kiln. There's room for duplicates, but I really wanted to get full magma power online during my turn.
Spooky Signature

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 16, 2016, 12:06:04 am »

Yes, I'm gonna start propably tonight. How do you dump the magma from a cart to a hole so that you can use it?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 16, 2016, 03:53:28 am »

Build a Construction- track 'S'top next to hole set to dump in hole's direction, then 'h'auling - new 'r'oute - new 's'top - assign 'v'ehicle (selecting the magma-full cart, you'll know you selected right one because it will say 100% V) on top of it.

It's not the only possibly approach, but it's the most simple approach.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 16, 2016, 05:40:56 am »

Ok, got the save and I'm currently getting familiar with the surroundings. How do you drop corpses and stuff in the magma?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 16, 2016, 12:06:01 pm »

I uploaded the map to DFMA, and PoI'd what features I could see. It never ceases to surprise me how messy things get in succession fortresses, even after just two years.

Ok, got the save and I'm currently getting familiar with the surroundings. How do you drop corpses and stuff in the magma?

I bet that you just need to designate the corpses for dumping, but wait for Arcvasti to confirm this.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 16, 2016, 01:11:46 pm »

Thanks for uploading. Quite a few familiar sights. It seems forts' primary defence is open geography guiding into traps. I spy dead dwarf in cavern. Neat making use of preexisting stone, I guess?

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 16, 2016, 02:30:10 pm »

- Yeah, but when I move away or towards in adventure mode the enemy gets bunch of extra attacks. Doing this in a dragonfight in arena mode makes me get hilariously slaughtered, like I move once and get attacked for 3 pages straight.
You can, instead of trying to pull the weapon out, jump at 'em. it takes no more time than the jump(which is much less than trying to pull it out), they can't dodge your jump, so they are automatically hit, and when you jump-hit 'em you'll almost always get the weapon back.
So now, instead of being a drawback, getting your weapon stuck is an opportunity. take it.
NOTE: some creatures are too big to jump-hit, so jump away from them. bonus if you use the jump to jump across a chasm to where they can't hit you, but you can hit them with projectiles.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 16, 2016, 05:29:41 pm »

I have it set to automatically drop useless refuse in the magma. But yeah, you just designate them for dumping normally. You might want to turn off automatic dumping if it becomes inconvienient. Its somewhere on the "o"rders menu.

Spooky Signature

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 18, 2016, 11:41:24 pm »

252, Mid-Winter
Finally, I will soon be in control of this hell-hole. I would be an overseer sooner, if the six scums that came with me didn't make up a "dwarven tradition" that the founder doesn't rule till at least the fourth election. I made sure I win the fourth election, by spreading word that the fortress is supported by a single wall I can dig any time. It's good to be the miner sometimes, ain't it.
I'm not officially in control yet, but Arcvasti gave up his rule before the end of the year and I get to rule sooner.
I've spend my first few days by getting familiar with the blueprints of this place, funny even though I dug it with my own hands I don't know where anything is. While checking our stockpile, I suddenly heard a great roar from above.

I had to think fast as the cyclops was running toward the gate. Our military rushed out the fortress. The fight finally ended, but not without casualties. One hammerdwarf died and some soldiers are healing to this day and some may never heal.
Our potter did a decent job with this thing.

Late-Winter
This month starts out with another death. It happened during building my super secret plan, somebody got hit with a wooden log. Mind the flying logs!

The amount of scholars and visitors is concerning, I hope there won't happen a scholar outbreak. We don't want crazy scientists running around.
And yet another death. I experimented with the magma setup for our new trap system and a guy got killed. Good that all those deaths are recorded as deaths during Arcvasti's ruling.
The scholar problem is concerning. There are as many of them as there are citizens.

While doing some administrating today, I found out that one dwarf registered her dead husband as still using the bedroom. Creepy...
I have to get rid of those ghosts some time, but they are kind of nice. I think that I will let them be.

2nd Granite, 253
I didn't even notice, I'm the official ruler for two days! It feels good to be in control. Now I can start implementing the Doom Save the fortress campaign.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 06:40:28 am by snow dwarf »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 31