Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fortress Idestun - history of avarice and jealousy  (Read 3181 times)

Baloun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Idestun - history of avarice and jealousy
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2016, 03:52:56 pm »

So I dorfed first two of you - Milon and CarefulRogue. Before I continue I have to ask you guys - do you want to write your own stories and entries? Or should I write them for you? Anyway it's a bit shorter today - I am tired from work - Also not much else happened :D
------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the diary of Balun Olinning
8th Malachite, 555
Since Tynun became sure that we ought to be the most glorious and greatest fortress in the world I got a lot more work. One of the reason I left the mountainhome was actually to get some rest. You know... Calm, relaxing job in mining industry. Now I was asked to smooth and engrave the upper parts of pillars. Well... I AM the only engraver here but still I am not very happy... Asen and Inon started digging out the lower floor of the Hall. Or more precisely - a rout around it. I could use some cider right about now...

From the diary of Tynun Udarerith
12th Malachite, 555
Well.... Queen sent us someone. Colonists... Two bowyers, farmer, woodcutter and fishery worker. It seems that Karfulrog Asenothduk is their leader. Milon Ubbulshigos is his right hand. I dont really know what to do with them. We cannot fish nearby, dont have much wood at hand and... Well... Allright Karfulrog is a bit skilled fighter - or bandit I'd say. He can still be at least usefull. What can I say... Don't even get me started about the child. I'd say this is part of her revenge. After all this...

From the diary of Balun Olinning
19th Malachite, 555
Half of the pillars is finished. I think we have more important things to do but Tynan is sure about this project. I still have quite a lot of work. Those new "colonists" are interesting bunch to be truthfull. They mostly sit in the corner, playing dice, watching me... That child is terribly annoying too. At least Id Lolokatir, one of the bowyers, agreed to help me with smoothing. I am not too dismayed altough it may sound like it. I still think we have a potencial here - we just need to work. And maybe more booze. You can never have enough booze, right?

Grand Hall, 25th Malachite, 555, Balun and Id were working...

Id Lolokatir: "... So me and me' mates were hammerd down thar brewery..."
Balun: "Uh-uh..."
I: "... And then Rith was like 'we ain't bladdered enough, that's like way out of order!' and we were..."
B: "Uhuh..."
I: "... Like 'you wot?!' and he fell right down the stairs..."
B: "Uh..."
Rith Erithstelid: "Isn't it though!"
B: ....

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2016, 07:50:12 pm »

Quote from: Baloun
Karfulrog
Please tell me this is intentional. 
Quote from: baloun
Well... I AM the only engraver here but still I am not very happy...
"Well... I AM the only engraver here, but still, I am not very happy..."  Just some comma and emphasis points here.  Also perhaps consider putting the lines that came after in a separate paragraph, since you sorta change focus after the above.
Allright
"Alright" is spelled with one "l."
Half of the pillars is finished
Are, not is.

Now, as for the entries, I'll write my own.  Just a few things though, how much leeway are you giving us?  We are, allegedly, hired bandits, hired by said angry queen.  I'm thinking of having a turncoat character, but this is your story, and your call. 

That's all I can think of for now. I'll put a post up once you get back to me. 
I never thought genocide would look so cute. . .
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.
"Guys if you say 'oops sorry' afterwards it's not a war crime, right?"

SeiggrainHart

• Bay Watcher
  • Order of the Black Arrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2016, 11:06:57 pm »

Well, not sure if I'll be taking a turn on this here succession fort... But I wouldn't mind being dorfed if that's on the menu. If it is, I shall be dorfed as... The chicken.

In all honestly, if being dorfed is on the menu, dorf me as a Miner. The idea of toiling down in the mines appeals me.

Baloun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2016, 02:16:35 am »

Quote from: Baloun
Karfulrog
Please tell me this is intentional. 
Well... I AM the only engraver here but still I am not very happy...
"Well... I AM the only engraver here, but still, I am not very happy..."  Just some comma and emphasis points here.  Also perhaps consider putting the lines that came after in a separate paragraph, since you sorta change focus after the above.
Allright
"Alright" is spelled with one "l."
Half of the pillars is finished
Are, not is.

Now, as for the entries, I'll write my own.  Just a few things though, how much leeway are you giving us?  We are, allegedly, hired bandits, hired by said angry queen.  I'm thinking of having a turncoat character, but this is your story, and your call. 

That's all I can think of for now. I'll put a post up once you get back to me.

Thank you once again! Looking at my mistakes I should really read it more carefully after myself...

With your entries - go all the way! I'll try to work with it. I am looking forward to them. You don't necesarilly have to be a bandit - just someone sent to Idestun in order to make it harder for its founders to survive :D... I don't think you were hired to kill or destroy. But if your character understood his assignment that way - why not! :)

Edit: Oh I forgot... Karfulrog is intentional of course :D I like to make the dorfed names a bit more... Dorfy :D
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 02:23:54 am by Baloun »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2016, 06:45:53 am »

Different floors. A balcony? How will you connect them, from the edges or from the center?

Amusing little thing for multi-level tavern:

z0:
^ ramp
www walls

z1:

still

After building the still, de-construct the 'w' walls and replace with ramps with booze stockpile on top. Maybe small QSP for plants. Hanging breweries of Idestun!

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2016, 10:50:29 am »

Thank you once again! Looking at my mistakes I should really read it more carefully after myself...

With your entries - go all the way! I'll try to work with it. I am looking forward to them. You don't necesarily have to be a bandit - just someone sent to Idestun in order to make it harder for its founders to survive :D... I don't think you were hired to kill or destroy. But if your character understood his assignment that way - why not! :)

Edit: Oh I forgot... Karfulrog is intentional of course :D I like to make the dorfed names a bit more... Dorfy :D
What your doing is fine.  Usually when I go back and look at what I wrote a month or two ago I can easily find a dozen small errors.  Slow down perhaps, and take a few minutes to read through what you have, and then let us vultures have a go. 

And the first time I saw that name... I had several double, and triple takes. 

Anyhow, a post!

Journals of Karfulrog
12th Malachite, 555 
Ever since that fellow had approached my band, I was wary of what sort of hell the Queen had prepared for the poor sods we had been send to sabotage.  It is without a doubt this came from the queen.  I extra careful to question my contacts and pull a few strings.  Seeing her chamberer was the final confirmation.  He wouldn't take a sip of ale unless the queen was yelling at him.  And it's not like the chamberer had a really good disguise, the novice. 

Honestly, beyond the goblins, and some difficult wolves, the Queen could have picked a worst place.  Where we prayed on some Elven caravans, and once or twice on the borders of hell itself as mercenaries for some greedy human.  This here though?  This is downright peaceful. 

I am still concerned though.  Why was the top sycophant looking to recruit troublemakers like us?  Sending us as a saboteur could make sense, but ... why?  This place is rich.  Id and Erith told me as much from their spying.  Heck, I'm willing to put all of what we did behind us, if it gives us a chance at this horde.  I'd like to come clean on this, as clean as really is possible, but this isn't only my choice here.  I will ask Milon his opinion.  Then, we shall cast the die.

Who's Milon (forum name?) I'd like to confer with him before I go any further here.
I never thought genocide would look so cute. . .
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.
"Guys if you say 'oops sorry' afterwards it's not a war crime, right?"

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2016, 06:55:19 pm »

The annotations you add on all the pictures is really fantastic :)  My only advise here is to pace yourself, especially for the amount of effort that these kinds of journals require (I know man, I've been there).  I hope you can keep it going.

SeiggrainHart

• Bay Watcher
  • Order of the Black Arrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2016, 09:49:56 pm »

As do I, as this is shaping up to be an interesting read.
Pages: 1 [2]