Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Blindedships: The Journey Ends. Please.  (Read 2448 times)

Whiskey_Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Blindedships: The Journey Ends. Please.
« on: February 04, 2008, 11:16:00 pm »

I've been running a pleasant oceanside town for a while now, with some harsh restrictions based on the environment (it's on a plateau, surrounded by ocean on 3 sides so no fresh water, no trees, no fish, deadly camels), but the community has flourished to 65 nonetheless.

It's a nice spot, really. The plateau lends itself to natural defense, with harsh ocean waves crashing up against 3 sides. One only has to build a wall to seal the cliff off from the rest of the world, and it's fairly self-contained. There is native copper, and a bit of hematite, and even aluminum. Maybe more, but I haven't reveal.exe'd it yet.

The icing on the cake is not 1, but 2 magma vents inside the body of the cliff, at two different heights. It allowed me to pleasantly experiment with magma fun without fear of running out.

Sadly, with a new release (and world generation) imminent, I'm afraid it's time for this sleepy ocean hollow to die a terrible, tragic death.

Of course the obvious idea, "Flood the place with magma" pops to mind, but I was hoping for something with more class.

Much to my chagrin, there are no hostile civilizations nearby. I don't even get the whisper of a kobold in the hallways. Just monotonous peace, interrupted by berzerking children who were taken with fey moods but couldn't find shells.

So I ask you, the stalwart community, to help me think of ways to bring this peaceful place to a bloody close.

he name says it all.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blindedships: The Journey Ends. Please.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 11:21:00 pm »

Magma, and ocean?

I'm thinking steam cleaning.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 11:21:00 pm »

The ground shall shake and sky will howl as the sea retakes what is rightfully its!

:roll: meaning collapse the fort into the sea

[ February 04, 2008: Message edited by: Mulch Diggums ]

ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Whiskey_Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 11:24:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mulch Diggums:
<STRONG>Let the ground shake and the heavens howl and let the sea retake what it owns!

:roll: meaning collapse the fort into the sea</STRONG>

That sounds like a grand idea.

I have no idea how to go about that.

quote:
Magma, and ocean?

I'm thinking steam cleaning.

This also sounds wondrous, but I thought that steam didn't kill in this release?

[ February 04, 2008: Message edited by: Whiskey_Ninja ]

he name says it all.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 11:31:00 pm »

Yeah... steam dosn't kill any more. How about you just abandon it and pretend the fort is still running.
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 11:36:00 pm »

Toady specifically said that the new versions will still be save compatable, so don't throw away this place yet, eh?   ;)

And if he didn't, that means I am an idiot. (Common knowledge already, really.)

[ February 04, 2008: Message edited by: Xotes ]

Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Whiskey_Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 11:39:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Xotes:
<STRONG>Toady specifically said that the new versions will still be save compatable, so don't throw away this place yet, eh?    ;)

And if he didn't, that means I am an idiot. (Common knowledge already, really.)

[ February 04, 2008: Message edited by: Xotes ]</STRONG>

I thought the new version was save compatible, but to get the cool world creation stuff, you had to re-world-create.

he name says it all.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 11:46:00 pm »

So download the new version and make a new world.  you don't have to get rid of the old one.

You won't have as many new tricks with your old fort as you will with the new one, but you can get the best of both worlds (literally).

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 11:55:00 pm »

1. Build a bowl above the fortress.
2. Fill said bowl with magma (you have steel pumps, right?)
3. Set fortress up to collapse in ocean
4. Collapse fortress in ocean, which will also cover the fortress in magma, which will then turn to steam and not kill the remainder of dwarves!

Overkill much?

"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 11:58:00 pm »

"Overkill"?  Was ist?

Troas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 10:16:00 am »

Rule 37:  there is no "overkill" there is only "open fire" and "time to reload."
You'd think handing out the crossbows to brain damaged dwarfs would be a bad idea but it isn't

Save the catgirls!

Sofaspud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 01:03:00 pm »

You said it's on a plateau, right?

Go down to ground level and dig out everything except a 1x1 pillar, which will support the entire fortress.  Build a support next to that pillar and dig out the original pillar.  Link a lever to the support.  Now, draft all your dwarves and station them next to the lever (wait for them to gather).  Finally, pull the lever.

KER-SQUISH!

(If I'm misremembering which is a plateau and which is a mesa, then use channels to separate the fort area from the rest of the world)

Can't... stop... laughing...:<BR>"... but at least in DF if Elves chained themselves to trees it would just mean an extra ax stroke or two." --Forumsdwarf<BR>"Would the owner of the red GCS silk socks, please pick them the f*** up, you left your FPS void on." --MadJax

Run Comrades

• Bay Watcher
  • Jovian Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/acylon
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 05:39:00 pm »

If you decide to keep the fort, cool..have fun never looking at it again, ever.

If on the other hand, you decide to do a cool and inventive destruction, PLEASE MAKE A VIDEO AND POST IT ON THE ARCHIVE!!!!  I'd love to see that sucker get sunk and imbued with magma simultaneously!  :D

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 06:08:00 pm »

I wonder if old seeds will generate vastly different results in the new version?  If you love the location, it might be worth it to try generating a new world with the same seed and seeing if you can still have your double-magma plateau.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 06:22:00 pm »

Hmm...Can magma destroy stone or wood supports?  Carve the underside of the place out, replace with wood supports, and flood above and below with magma.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: [1] 2