Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I need a guidance of some 'sun adaption project'  (Read 1571 times)

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I need a guidance of some 'sun adaption project'
« on: August 21, 2016, 01:25:41 am »

When I finally start to build an above ground tower, the tower becomes full of vomit. I think I have to do something.

The wiki says actual vertical access to the sun is necessary to reduce cave adaptation. So I should move the meeting hall to the surface, with no roof. But that means the dwarves are exposed to the sun, rains, and also ravens. There will be tons of negative thoughts. I'm not sure those thoughts can be countered by status, or steel menacing spikes. So is it worth to move upground?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I need a guidance of some 'sun adaption project'
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 05:22:46 am »

I find that if I really want to build aboveground, I need to design my fortress in such a way as to expose the majority of my dwarves to sunlight a majority of the time, otherwise I run into the whole vomit-lake issue. If you think you can just build whatever it is underground, then I would go that route (just make sure your military has a place to fight underground as well, since the cave adaptation sickness can prove lethal during a siege).

You can use the trick where constructions don't block the sunlight, and build a completely sealed off meeting hall that still provides exposure. If you want to feel authentic, you can give it a glass roof. IIRC that isn't even necessary.

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 06:17:46 am »

You can use the trick where constructions don't block the sunlight, and build a completely sealed off meeting hall that still provides exposure. If you want to feel authentic, you can give it a glass roof. IIRC that isn't even necessary.
But the wiki says the trick only prevents further cave adaption, cannot cure the existing caved dwarves.

Keaman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 11:00:21 am »

But the wiki says the trick only prevents further cave adaption, cannot cure the existing caved dwarves.

Anything that makes them wander around in the sunlight for a bit will cure the existing cave adaptation after some exposure.  When I start getting sieges, I tend to move the barracks outside to stop the dwarves from getting pukey and weak when they have to chase down goblins.

One other idea is to wall off an outside area, put a retractable bridge over the top, and locate your tavern in the walls.  Then retract the bridge so it has no top.  That way the dwarves who aren't working will hang out and lose cave adaptation, they'll get happy thoughts from watching performances and drinking which will counteract the weather thoughts, and if a flying predator happens you can just pull the bridge lever and presto the structure has a roof.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 11:04:31 am by Keaman »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 11:49:32 am »

I would investigate what effect a drawbridge has on the indoor/outdoor designation of the tiles beneath. It's not impossible (actually it's probable) the designation is the same regardless of whether the bridge is retracted or not, but I don't know which one it would be.

In addition to that, I wouldn't trust a Kea Man on anything regarding access: they're as kleptomaniac as their fully animal counterparts...

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 12:31:28 pm »

It doesn't matter what you do because babies are born with cave adaptation. They puke above ground, people step in the puke, people don't clean the puke, and then everything's puke.

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 12:01:00 pm »

Water-based cleaning solutions: First, you need a burrow, and a tower; then, you need walls that can be locked, and a tunnel into your fort that includes a drain.
Just pour water over EVERYTHING and see if it works. If not, repeat.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 12:54:48 pm »

If something's Inside, Above-Ground, you don't get vomit. Extending that logic means you can roof over the 'outside' area to prevent the vomit
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

RocheLimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 03:00:46 pm »

I would investigate what effect a drawbridge has on the indoor/outdoor designation of the tiles beneath. It's not impossible (actually it's probable) the designation is the same regardless of whether the bridge is retracted or not, but I don't know which one it would be.

Last time I attempted this (which was, admittedly, a number of versions ago), the tiles under the retracting bridge were Inside-Light-Above Ground with it blocking the sky.  And they stay Inside-Light-Above Ground even when the bridge was retracted.  As such, this design would only prevent further adaptation.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 04:03:36 pm »

Last time I attempted this (which was, admittedly, a number of versions ago), the tiles under the retracting bridge were Inside-Light-Above Ground with it blocking the sky.  And they stay Inside-Light-Above Ground even when the bridge was retracted.  As such, this design would only prevent further adaptation.
Thanks!

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 09:11:38 pm »

So, we have to build a sky tower?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2016, 02:07:20 am »

It no longer works, sadly, plus you can't build anything on top sky level now iirc.